ARGH! Windows XP UPG trashed my WMP9 playlists!!!

October 10, 2004 5:30:19 PM

Hi - I upgraded from WIN98SE to WINXP - generally went well, except the
upgrade process seems to like to insert /DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/ into
every filespec it can find. I was able to fix them all manually for
Mozilla, but for WMP9, it changed all the filespecs on my playlists,
even though I keep my music files in a non-system folder, so now all my
playlists are toast as it can't find the files (because the filespecs
have \documents and settings\ injected.

ideas?
(can I restore a file from backups to fix this problem - is there a
'database' file?)

thanks
/j
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 9:13:06 PM

Hi Jeff

Yes, XP does that to your files upon installation. Guess you will have
to manually tag each file. Take it as an opportunity to clean up your
music files.

Gary Hendricks
www.baby-product-guide.com

Jeff W <msnews@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:<uHjRQ7urEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Hi - I upgraded from WIN98SE to WINXP - generally went well, except the
> upgrade process seems to like to insert /DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/ into
> every filespec it can find. I was able to fix them all manually for
> Mozilla, but for WMP9, it changed all the filespecs on my playlists,
> even though I keep my music files in a non-system folder, so now all my
> playlists are toast as it can't find the files (because the filespecs
> have \documents and settings\ injected.
>
> ideas?
> (can I restore a file from backups to fix this problem - is there a
> 'database' file?)
>
> thanks
> /j
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 1:52:00 AM

actually, I ended up text-editing the playlist files- thank god they're
ASCII
/j

!