How to automate chkdsk /f on main partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi - Apparently I can't run chdsk /f except scheduling it for boot. So
how do I use this to keep my (1-partition) system clean?

Seems like I have to INTERACTIVELY run chkdsk, see if there are
problems, and if there are, schedule a /f run for next boot.

is there a way to automate this?

thanks
?j

On all your questions you can find out what you need and more - click start,
help and support and enter your question there - it's call RTM or read the
manual.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

"Jeff W" <msnews@kwcpa.com> wrote in message
> Hi - Apparently I can't run chdsk /f except scheduling it for boot. So
> how do I use this to keep my (1-partition) system clean?
>
> Seems like I have to INTERACTIVELY run chkdsk, see if there are
> problems, and if there are, schedule a /f run for next boot.
>
> is there a way to automate this?
>
> thanks
> ?j

Hi Jeff

XP does not natively run chkdsk for you. You need to do it manually.

Gary Hendricks
www.baby-product-guide.com

Jeff W <msnews@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:<ucriujvrEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Hi - Apparently I can't run chdsk /f except scheduling it for boot. So
> how do I use this to keep my (1-partition) system clean?
>
> Seems like I have to INTERACTIVELY run chkdsk, see if there are
> problems, and if there are, schedule a /f run for next boot.
>
> is there a way to automate this?
>
> thanks
> ?j

Thank you in advance for your kind support. Before I did the upgrade I
bought, and Read, the inside out book, the annoyances book, and XP in a
nutshell. I could not find anything in any of these 3 books to shed
light on this question. Perhaps you didn't read it thoroughly .

the question is - is there any way to schedule a period execution of
"chkdsk /f" on the partition that contains the O/S. I suspect not, but
there might be a way to cause chkdsk to automatically schedule (or
cause) a reboot followed by a chkdsk /f.

the correct acronym, btw, is RTFM. and if that is all you can add to
these threads, perhaps you should be doing something else with your
time? I came here for help AFTER having tried on my own.

/j

Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:

>On all your questions you can find out what you need and more - click start,
>help and support and enter your question there - it's call RTM or read the
>manual.

3rd Party books don't always have the answers, as it clearly states in the
"Help and Support" documentation what the capabilities of "chkdsk" and the
"task" scheduler are. If perchance you are challenged in putting 2 and 2
together, then may you should be seeking assistance at your local PC repair
shop.

--

> Thank you in advance for your kind support. Before I did the upgrade I
> bought, and Read, the inside out book, the annoyances book, and XP in a
> nutshell. I could not find anything in any of these 3 books to shed
> light on this question. Perhaps you didn't read it thoroughly .
>
> the question is - is there any way to schedule a period execution of
> "chkdsk /f" on the partition that contains the O/S. I suspect not, but
> there might be a way to cause chkdsk to automatically schedule (or
> cause) a reboot followed by a chkdsk /f.
>
> the correct acronym, btw, is RTFM. and if that is all you can add to
> these threads, perhaps you should be doing something else with your
> time? I came here for help AFTER having tried on my own.
>
> /j
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
>
>>On all your questions you can find out what you need and more - click
>>start,
>>help and support and enter your question there - it's call RTM or read the
>>manual.

Small Note: If you want to learn how to fix/do something, I'll point you to
it, but if you want me to do your work for you, it will cost you $50 USD per
hour - your choice.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

"Star Fleet Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:ufdbfEzrEHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> 3rd Party books don't always have the answers, as it clearly states in the
> "Help and Support" documentation what the capabilities of "chkdsk" and the
> "task" scheduler are. If perchance you are challenged in putting 2 and 2
> together, then may you should be seeking assistance at your local PC
> repair shop.
>
> --
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

> "Jeff W" <msnews@kwcpa.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you in advance for your kind support. Before I did the upgrade I
>> bought, and Read, the inside out book, the annoyances book, and XP in a
>> nutshell. I could not find anything in any of these 3 books to shed
>> light on this question. Perhaps you didn't read it thoroughly .
>>
>> the question is - is there any way to schedule a period execution of
>> "chkdsk /f" on the partition that contains the O/S. I suspect not, but
>> there might be a way to cause chkdsk to automatically schedule (or
>> cause) a reboot followed by a chkdsk /f.
>>
>> the correct acronym, btw, is RTFM. and if that is all you can add to
>> these threads, perhaps you should be doing something else with your
>> time? I came here for help AFTER having tried on my own.
>>
>> /j
>>
>> Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
>>
>>>On all your questions you can find out what you need and more - click
>>>start,
>>>help and support and enter your question there - it's call RTM or read
>>>the
>>>manual.

To Jeff W,
There might be a way using Scheduled Task. I am not sure how to do
that.

To "Star Fleet Admiral Q"
Your are not to advertise your pay services in the newsgroup.
This a free help newsgroup. These is also a newuser group as well.
For your information. There is no information on how to have chkdsk
to start every time the computer boots up.

>Small Note: If you want to learn how to fix/do something, I'll point you to
>it, but if you want me to do your work for you, it will cost you $50 USD per
>hour - your choice.

Corrected post
To Jeff W,
There might be a way using Scheduled Task. I am not sure how to do
that.

To "Star Fleet Admiral Q"
Your are not to advertise your pay services in the newsgroup.
This a free help newsgroup. These is also a newuser group as well.
For your information. There is no information on how to have chkdsk
to start every time the computer boots up in the help and support
manual.

>Small Note: If you want to learn how to fix/do something, I'll point you to
>it, but if you want me to do your work for you, it will cost you $50 USD per
>hour - your choice.

Jimmy

Ignore SFAQ's replies, as he doesn't know his arse from his elbow! He would also have to pay me 30£/hour to listen to him attempt to show that he might know WTF he is talking about with PCs anyway.

Here's a detailed explanation to the various usages of CHKDSK;
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187941

Anyway, when you say automate, do you want CHKDSK to run on every boot? (As you cannnot do this while in windows on the system partition)

Read here, if you want to set this up:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0000/rh0058.htm

"Jeff W" <msnews@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:%23CGN$QyrEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thank you in advance for your kind support. Before I did the upgrade I
> bought, and Read, the inside out book, the annoyances book, and XP in a
> nutshell. I could not find anything in any of these 3 books to shed
> light on this question. Perhaps you didn't read it thoroughly .
>
> the question is - is there any way to schedule a period execution of
> "chkdsk /f" on the partition that contains the O/S. I suspect not, but
> there might be a way to cause chkdsk to automatically schedule (or
> cause) a reboot followed by a chkdsk /f.
>
> the correct acronym, btw, is RTFM. and if that is all you can add to
> these threads, perhaps you should be doing something else with your
> time? I came here for help AFTER having tried on my own.
>
> /j
>
> Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
>
>>On all your questions you can find out what you need and more - click start,
>>help and support and enter your question there - it's call RTM or read the
>>manual.

Thanks JImmy - rarely does someone make it so obvious they're a jerk. 8-}

good references, but neither was quite what I wanted.

Ideally I was looking for a replacement for the scandisk w/fix that I
used to run every night. If chkdsk can't do a fix when XP is live, it
could at least auto-schedule one for the next boot (and then if it
could trigger the boot - THAT would be real automatic maintenance - but
I know that's asking too much).
I think the bottom line is that the daily run isn't necessary, I guess
thanks
/j

Jimmy wrote:

>Ignore SFAQ's replies, as he doesn't know his arse from his elbow! He would also have to pay me 30£/hour to listen to him attempt to show that he might know WTF he is talking about with PCs anyway.
>
>Here's a detailed explanation to the various usages of CHKDSK;
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187941
>
>Anyway, when you say automate, do you want CHKDSK to run on every boot? (As you cannnot do this while in windows on the system partition)
>
>Read here, if you want to set this up:
>http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0000/rh0058.htm
>

>"Jeff W" <msnews@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:%23CGN$QyrEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Thank you in advance for your kind support. Before I did the upgrade I
>> bought, and Read, the inside out book, the annoyances book, and XP in a
>> nutshell. I could not find anything in any of these 3 books to shed
>> light on this question. Perhaps you didn't read it thoroughly .
>>
>> the question is - is there any way to schedule a period execution of
>> "chkdsk /f" on the partition that contains the O/S. I suspect not, but
>> there might be a way to cause chkdsk to automatically schedule (or
>> cause) a reboot followed by a chkdsk /f.
>>
>> the correct acronym, btw, is RTFM. and if that is all you can add to
>> these threads, perhaps you should be doing something else with your
>> time? I came here for help AFTER having tried on my own.
>>
>> /j
>>
>> Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
>>
>>>On all your questions you can find out what you need and more - click start,
>>>help and support and enter your question there - it's call RTM or read the
>>>manual.

Byte

Unlike previous Windows versions, 2000 and XP won't let you fix errors as you
check a disk whose files are in use. Windows can override this in some cases
(as I describe below). But checking your Windows drive while Windows itself
is running is out of the question: Windows simply asks whether you want to
schedule the process to occur the next time you restart your computer.
PCWorld.com - Windows Tips: Check Your Disks for Errors, With a Single Click
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111653,00.asp

"Jeff W" wrote:

> Hi - Apparently I can't run chdsk /f except scheduling it for boot. So
> how do I use this to keep my (1-partition) system clean?
>
> Seems like I have to INTERACTIVELY run chkdsk, see if there are
> problems, and if there are, schedule a /f run for next boot.
>
> is there a way to automate this?
>
> thanks
> ?j

you can check it - you just can't fix it- but you can determine (I
think) whether it might NEED a fix - and then schedule one. Wish this
could be automated and scheduled - but since it's so hard to do so,
maybe you don't need to.?

"Jimmy" wrote:

> Ignore SFAQ's replies, as he doesn't know his arse from his elbow! He would also have to pay me 30£/hour to listen to him attempt to show that he might know WTF he is talking about with PCs anyway.
>
> Here's a detailed explanation to the various usages of CHKDSK;
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=187941
>
> Anyway, when you say automate, do you want CHKDSK to run on every boot? (As you cannnot do this while in windows on the system partition)
>
> Read here, if you want to set this up:
> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0000/rh0058.htm
>

> "Jeff W" <msnews@kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:%23CGN$QyrEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Thank you in advance for your kind support. Before I did the upgrade I
> > bought, and Read, the inside out book, the annoyances book, and XP in a
> > nutshell. I could not find anything in any of these 3 books to shed
> > light on this question. Perhaps you didn't read it thoroughly .
> >
> > the question is - is there any way to schedule a period execution of
> > "chkdsk /f" on the partition that contains the O/S. I suspect not, but
> > there might be a way to cause chkdsk to automatically schedule (or
> > cause) a reboot followed by a chkdsk /f.
> >
> > the correct acronym, btw, is RTFM. and if that is all you can add to
> > these threads, perhaps you should be doing something else with your
> > time? I came here for help AFTER having tried on my own.
> >
> > /j
> >
> > Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
> >
> >>On all your questions you can find out what you need and more - click start,
> >>help and support and enter your question there - it's call RTM or read the
> >>manual.

No you don't. It is very stupid to auto run chkdsk. Unless you want all your data thrown away one day. Chkdsk fixes file systems so the computer is happy with it. It doesn't care about your data. Plus if it needs to run it will do it without your assistance.
http://www.uscricket.com
"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message news:eNQZExIsEHA.1712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> you can check it - you just can't fix it- but you can determine (I
> think) whether it might NEED a fix - and then schedule one. Wish this
> could be automated and scheduled - but since it's so hard to do so,
> maybe you don't need to.?
>
> Byte wrote:
>
>>Unlike previous Windows versions, 2000 and XP won't let you fix errors as you
>>check a disk whose files are in use. Windows can override this in some cases
>>(as I describe below). But checking your Windows drive while Windows itself
>>is running is out of the question: Windows simply asks whether you want to
>>schedule the process to occur the next time you restart your computer.
>>PCWorld.com - Windows Tips: Check Your Disks for Errors, With a Single Click
>>http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111653,00.asp
>>
>>"Jeff W" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi - Apparently I can't run chdsk /f except scheduling it for boot. So
>>> how do I use this to keep my (1-partition) system clean?
>>>
>>> Seems like I have to INTERACTIVELY run chkdsk, see if there are
>>> problems, and if there are, schedule a /f run for next boot.
>>>
>>> is there a way to automate this?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> ?j

inotom

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hello,

To automate the running of chkdsk use the fsutil command.

More info on fsutil:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil_dirty.mspx?mfr=true

1. Create a batch file to set the dirty bit to "on"
i.e. fsutil dirty set c:
2. Use Task scheduler to run the batch file how often you like.

I found task scheduler does not like blank passwords.

Option 1. Add batch file to Startup group (If you want chkdsk to run every time the PC is turned on)
Startup group is located at -> Click "Start" button, -> "All Programs" -> "Startup"
Use the mouse to drag the batch file into the "Startup" folder.

Option 2. Look into alternative for Task Scheduler
http://www.freebyte.com/fbtaskscheduler/

Option 3.
Make a registry change to allow Task Scheduler to use blank passwords.
http://web.synametrics.com/syncrifytaskwopwd.htm

The above info is mainly for XP.
For Vista and Windows 7 may need to set the properties of the batch file to "run as administrator" and may not have the above mention problems with Task Scheduler.

You answered a thread from 2004. I think the OP is gone.