I installed WinXp a few hours ago, and when I try to activate it, it tells me
something was wrong with my Serial Number. Then, I decided to try again
minutes ago and I can't access the "Activate Windows" thing, because it says
there is an error.

And I know my Serial is okay, because I use the one that is on the back of
my WinXP Home Cd Case. I think that the person who gave me the CD used it
before, but I know that his computer couldn't handle Windows Xp.

Hi Phil,

Does it say it is already activated? Or that your Product Key is invalid?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"PhilGalarneau" <PhilGalarneau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed WinXp a few hours ago, and when I try to activate it, it tells
>me
> something was wrong with my Serial Number. Then, I decided to try again
> minutes ago and I can't access the "Activate Windows" thing, because it
> says
> there is an error.
>
> And I know my Serial is okay, because I use the one that is on the back of
> my WinXP Home Cd Case. I think that the person who gave me the CD used it
> before, but I know that his computer couldn't handle Windows Xp.

It says that "..the product key is unauthorised. Activation cannot be
completed until a valid product key is entered"

Hi,

Where'd the key come from? Does it match the ones described here?

You receive a "The product key used to install Windows is invalid" error
message
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904

--

> It says that "..the product key is unauthorised. Activation cannot be
> completed until a valid product key is entered"

Hi

What type of XP CD is it?

If the XP CD you have been given was Activated, then that is why you are
seeing the error message. Have you asked the person who gave you the CD if
XP was in fact Activated on his/her PC?

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"PhilGalarneau" <PhilGalarneau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed WinXp a few hours ago, and when I try to activate it, it tells
>me
> something was wrong with my Serial Number. Then, I decided to try again
> minutes ago and I can't access the "Activate Windows" thing, because it
> says
> there is an error.
>
> And I know my Serial is okay, because I use the one that is on the back of
> my WinXP Home Cd Case. I think that the person who gave me the CD used it
> before, but I know that his computer couldn't handle Windows Xp.

I think that in fact, he activated it. But he switched back to ME soon after,
because he only had 64mb of ram. Is there a way to have it activated even in
these circonstances?

Hi

XP will install onto a PC with 64 MBs RAM, but will not run very well.
This perhaps is what happened and the copy of XP has been activated. You'll
have to check with the person who gave you the CD.

--

>I think that in fact, he activated it. But he switched back to ME soon
>after,
> because he only had 64mb of ram. Is there a way to have it activated even
> in
> these circonstances?

I also am having a similar problem. Had Windows ME
upgraded to XP Home a year ago. But something went buggy
with the motherboard and it had to be replaced. When I
try to reinstall XP Home the install program says it is
not a valid Product Key. The number is off the retail
box, and I checked it umpteen times to make sure it was
correct. Got a 1-800 telephone number off one of the
posts but it is only good during office hours. Right,
like I install programs while I'm at work. Tried to get
some other support telephone number but no luck.
Any takers on this problem?

Hi

This sounds fishy. Can you check with the person who passed you the
CD, is it an original or OEM copy of Windows XP Home?

Gary Hendricks
www.baby-product-guide.com

"PhilGalarneau" <PhilGalarneau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<E3542BF0-A770-4132-9E9B-107B7722D457@microsoft.com>...
> I installed WinXp a few hours ago, and when I try to activate it, it tells me
> something was wrong with my Serial Number. Then, I decided to try again
> minutes ago and I can't access the "Activate Windows" thing, because it says
> there is an error.
>
> And I know my Serial is okay, because I use the one that is on the back of
> my WinXP Home Cd Case. I think that the person who gave me the CD used it
> before, but I know that his computer couldn't handle Windows Xp.

No, it doesn't seem like it. However in the registered to part, there is:
xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx
(where X equals a number)

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Where'd the key come from? Does it match the ones described here?
>
> You receive a "The product key used to install Windows is invalid" error
> message
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "PhilGalarneau" <PhilGalarneau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It says that "..the product key is unauthorised. Activation cannot be
> > completed until a valid product key is entered"

Hi,

Ok, this is what the problem is: You've got an OEM copy of WinXP, not a
regular retail version. It was already activated on another system. The OEM
license is permanently tied to the first system it is activated on. It was
already by someone else on another system. The disk is useless to you. A
retail disk can be transferred to a new system, an OEM disk cannot.

--

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:17:05 -0700, PhilGalarneau wrote:

> I installed WinXp a few hours ago, and when I try to activate it, it tells me
> something was wrong with my Serial Number. Then, I decided to try again
> minutes ago and I can't access the "Activate Windows" thing, because it says
> there is an error.
>
> And I know my Serial is okay, because I use the one that is on the back of
> my WinXP Home Cd Case. I think that the person who gave me the CD used it
> before, but I know that his computer couldn't handle Windows Xp.

Phil, the number on your computer case is for your OEM copy of XP. It's
possible that it will work with another OEM copy but it might fail if the
OEM copy is customized for a specific computer model. Also there are some
licensing issues. See Rick's reply for the explanation.

If your friend's copy is a retail CD, your number won't work with it. You
need the friend's product key to activate. A retail copy of XP and its
product key can be transferred to another owner and will activate. NOTE:
Have your friend write you a receipt or transfer statement so that you can
keep this in your files.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi,
I don't think OEM CD just can install onto one special model pc, i have
the experience that just the one OEM WINXP CD install on two different
type of computer.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ok, this is what the problem is: You've got an OEM copy of WinXP, not
> regular retail version. It was already activated on another system. The
> OEM
> license is permanently tied to the first system it is activated on. It
> was
> already by someone else on another system. The disk is useless to you.
> retail disk can be transferred to a new system, an OEM disk cannot.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "PhilGalarneau" PhilGalarneau@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in
> message
> No, it doesn't seem like it. However in the registered to part, there
> is:
> xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx
> (where X equals a number)
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> -
> Hi,
>
> Where'd the key come from? Does it match the ones described here?
>
> You receive a "The product key used to install Windows is invalid"
> error
> message
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "PhilGalarneau" PhilGalarneau@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in
> message
> It says that "..the product key is unauthorised. Activation cannot
> be
> completed until a valid product key is entered"-

fielduq

Hi,

OEM versions of WinXP are generally tied permanently to the first
installation they are activated on. This is a limit of the OEM license and
is part of why they are frequently cheaper.