Wireless internet - Dial-up

does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
connection possibilities?

Henry
10 answers Last reply
More about wireless internet dial

    "Henry Harms" <godutchie@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    > connection possibilities?
    >
    > Henry

    Apple's Airport Extreme base station.
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72002/wo/H36eGg9p3xDp3SIMKXRyEmW5Vc7/1.3.0.6.10

    Henry Harms wrote:

    > does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    > connection possibilities?

    I've been looking into this very recently. The only one I've found is
    the Apple Airport Extreme which appears to be fairly readily available
    (at least here in the UK).

    Dave

    Henry Harms wrote:

    > does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    > connection possibilities?
    >
    > Henry

    I did this pretty easily with my WRT54G and another switch. I can't
    remember exactly how I had it working, but I know the swich was before
    the AP and I went from the uplink port to a port in the WRT54G and it
    worked great.

    Let's see..

    Dialup into modem. NIC from same PC out to Switch. Uplink port on
    switch to AP. Maybe some extra configuration... but I don't think there
    was much.

    The guy at best buy said it wasn't possible. I told him "poo on you."

    Not sure if it would work going from the NIC in the dialup PC to the AP
    or not.

    "Bradley V. Stone" <bvstone@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Henry Harms wrote:
    >
    > > does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    > > connection possibilities?
    > >
    > > Henry
    <snip>

    If I understand you correctly, you can accomplish this with an AP and
    WinRoute Lite. More info here:

    http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/winrlics.html

    HTH

    Louie
    Gainesville, FL, USA

    ---

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:50:49 -0700, "Henry Harms"
    <godutchie@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    >connection possibilities?
    >
    >Henry

    The apple airport is the only router/access point I've heard of
    that has a built in modem. There are other solutions, but they
    require a computer that has or is attached to a modem.

    Henry Harms <godutchie@adelphia.net> wrote:
    > does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    > connection possibilities?

    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=63&site=c
    SMC7004AWBR has a serial port where you can connect an external modem.

    --
    ---

    "Dave" <dave_nospam@sourplum.org.uk> wrote in message
    > Henry Harms wrote:
    >
    >> does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    >> connection possibilities?
    >>

    > I've been looking into this very recently. The only one I've found is the
    > Apple Airport Extreme which appears to be fairly readily available (at
    > least here in the UK).
    >
    > Dave

    But which the fine print says requires software running on a Macintosh for
    initial setup.

    Should have mentioned that I had to rule out the Airport Extreme because
    it's fine print says it requires software running on a Macintosh for initial
    setup.

    Chip

    "Chip Orange" <acorange@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Dave" <dave_nospam@sourplum.org.uk> wrote in message
    >> Henry Harms wrote:
    >>
    >>> does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    >>> connection possibilities?
    >>>

    >> I've been looking into this very recently. The only one I've found is the
    >> Apple Airport Extreme which appears to be fairly readily available (at
    >> least here in the UK).
    >>
    >> Dave
    >
    > But which the fine print says requires software running on a Macintosh for
    > initial setup.

    "Henry Harms" <godutchie@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    >connection possibilities?

    http://www.wiflyer.com/

    The latest firmware will even let you switch between dialup and
    broadband without reflashing the firmware. Kinda pricey, but a nice
    little box.

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Henry Harms" <godutchie@adelphia.net> wrote:
    > >does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
    > >connection possibilities?
    >
    > http://www.wiflyer.com/
    >
    > The latest firmware will even let you switch between dialup and
    > broadband without reflashing the firmware. Kinda pricey, but a nice
    > little box.

    For quite a while I used an Asante 3000 series router with a serial port.
    Most any router with a serial will
    work, I thing US Robotics makes one. I used an
    external modem to connect to the serial on the router then plugged in an
    Access point to the router and waallllla,
    you are surfing. Alot of the routers would classify them as
    broadband with a dialup backup.

Wireless Dial Up Connection Wireless Internet Internet Wireless Networking Product