Wireless internet - Dial-up

does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
connection possibilities?

Henry

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Henry Harms wrote:

> does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
> connection possibilities?

I've been looking into this very recently. The only one I've found is
the Apple Airport Extreme which appears to be fairly readily available
(at least here in the UK).

Dave

Henry Harms wrote:

> does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
> connection possibilities?
>
> Henry

I did this pretty easily with my WRT54G and another switch. I can't
remember exactly how I had it working, but I know the swich was before
the AP and I went from the uplink port to a port in the WRT54G and it
worked great.

Let's see..

Dialup into modem. NIC from same PC out to Switch. Uplink port on
switch to AP. Maybe some extra configuration... but I don't think there
was much.

The guy at best buy said it wasn't possible. I told him "poo on you."

Not sure if it would work going from the NIC in the dialup PC to the AP
or not.

"Bradley V. Stone" <bvstone@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Henry Harms wrote:
>
> > does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
> > connection possibilities?
> >
> > Henry
<snip>

If I understand you correctly, you can accomplish this with an AP and
WinRoute Lite. More info here:

http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/winrlics.html

HTH

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

---

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:50:49 -0700, "Henry Harms"
<godutchie@adelphia.net> wrote:

>does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
>connection possibilities?
>
>Henry

The apple airport is the only router/access point I've heard of
that has a built in modem. There are other solutions, but they
require a computer that has or is attached to a modem.

"Dave" <dave_nospam@sourplum.org.uk> wrote in message
> Henry Harms wrote:
>
>> does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
>> connection possibilities?
>>

> I've been looking into this very recently. The only one I've found is the
> Apple Airport Extreme which appears to be fairly readily available (at
> least here in the UK).
>
> Dave

But which the fine print says requires software running on a Macintosh for
initial setup.

Should have mentioned that I had to rule out the Airport Extreme because
it's fine print says it requires software running on a Macintosh for initial
setup.

Chip

"Chip Orange" <acorange@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Dave" <dave_nospam@sourplum.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Henry Harms wrote:
>>
>>> does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
>>> connection possibilities?
>>>

>> I've been looking into this very recently. The only one I've found is the
>> Apple Airport Extreme which appears to be fairly readily available (at
>> least here in the UK).
>>
>> Dave
>
> But which the fine print says requires software running on a Macintosh for
> initial setup.

"Henry Harms" <godutchie@adelphia.net> wrote:
>does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
>connection possibilities?

http://www.wiflyer.com/

The latest firmware will even let you switch between dialup and
broadband without reflashing the firmware. Kinda pricey, but a nice
little box.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Henry Harms" <godutchie@adelphia.net> wrote:
> >does anybody now if there's a Wireless basestation that has dialup-modem
> >connection possibilities?
>
> http://www.wiflyer.com/
>
> The latest firmware will even let you switch between dialup and
> broadband without reflashing the firmware. Kinda pricey, but a nice
> little box.

For quite a while I used an Asante 3000 series router with a serial port.
Most any router with a serial will
work, I thing US Robotics makes one. I used an
external modem to connect to the serial on the router then plugged in an
Access point to the router and waallllla,
you are surfing. Alot of the routers would classify them as
broadband with a dialup backup.