Status
Not open for further replies.

blakebart

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
How many of you out there tried for the Fry's combo deal of the i5 and the Gigabyte motherboard offered last week? The motherboard was never available, at least in Southern California, and so no deal. Our Manhattan Beach store never received stock on the motherboard, even though the ad was run one more time. They are running an ad this week for the Q9400 and another Gigabyte motherboard. My question is should I hold out for the Core i5?

jkim

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I got it because I ended up going when they opened in the San Francisco Bay Area. It was a great deal and within half an hour, over 5 were sold. I have no idea where the other three came from - I was the second of two folks asking for the combo.

Anyway, I ended up returning the setup today. I offered it on Craigslist list for the same price I got it, no profit whatsoever but no one answered up until after I returned them. Almost a day and a half and no one was smart enough to take me up on it when others were asking over $100 - $125 more than what they paid.

I returned the stuff because although it was a great deal (over $125 savings), I could not get it to play high definition video files which is why I bought the set-up. Everytime I played a high def video, the computer froze and I had to re-boot it.

I had no problems with the same video on an older Phenom 9600. I tried all sorts of things including removing and re-installing the video viewing software and I actually put a new hard drive with a fresh install of Vista.

I even bought a new PSU. It was definitely this setup that wouldn't play what I needed it to so I returned them. Hated to. I bought Fry's newest sale of a slightly older quad core Q9400 with a Gigabyte board. I am very happy with this setup since it works really well with no problems whatsoever with the high def videos.

I tell you what. The best deal was three weeks ago when they had an Phenom X4 965 and a very nice mobo for $219.99 plus a $20 mail-in rebate. I wish I had gotten that one instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.