Sign in with
Your question

The Orange Box....best game of 2007? Certainly best value of 2007

Last response: in Video Games
April 27, 2008 8:11:46 PM

Listening to some rerun podcasts covering PC's and gaming from late last year, there seemed to be a consensus that the Orange Box itself should not be considered ONE game in terms of best game of the year, and thus the individual games in the OB should be considered on their own merits and compete on their own merits.

True, it's not ONE game, but the fact that it includes 5 great games for one low price should make it be considered as a whole. Sure, TF2 may not be considered as great as COD:4, but you do get 4 other great games in the OB. If the OB cost $200, then of course, the OB shouldn't be considered as 5 separate games, each compared to COD, BioShock, etc.. But because you get 5 games for $50 in the OB, the OB should be allowed to be considered as ONE game. In which case, the OB would mop the floor with BioShock, COD, etc.. Of course, this is all subjective.

But my overall point is that the OB should compete as ONE game because it's only $50. The entirety of the Orange Box's contents should be allowed to compete against the other single game SKU's such as COD, BioShock.
April 28, 2008 3:07:39 AM

I disagree. Ranking it as a single game both gives it an unfair advantage and sells short the greatness of each individual game contained in it.

For example, Portal is the best of several categories just on its own. TF2 has one of the best, if not the best multiplayer online experiences out there. And is it really fair to consider HL2 again since it wasn't honestly released last year.

Each game should, and can stand on its own unless the qualifier for the category is value. Then they should stand together as the best gaming value available last year.
April 28, 2008 4:26:39 AM

I see it both ways. Best value, yes. Best game, quite possibly. And now that you can buy the three new ones in retail on their own, it makes the OB even more of a package deal to treat as one whole like you said. I'd have no problem if someone where to say best game of 2007.. The Orange Box. I also agree, to do them justice each game needs to be held on their own too.
Related resources
April 28, 2008 9:11:02 AM

Don't get me wrong, it is great value, but there's no way the Orange Box is 1 game. It's at least three depending on how you look at it. And that Peggle thing... *shrug*
April 28, 2008 10:00:22 AM

Definitely not 1 game. Probably not even best value. There's a lot of good free games around.

April 28, 2008 3:40:03 PM

I got the orange box the other day, I played HL 2 about 2 hrs. TF2 about 2-3 hours, and I have no desire to go back to it. Portal for some odd reason runs like a slide show and I have been unable to solve it so that one goes into the unplayable catagory (why I have no Idea, im running a e6750, 8800GT 512, 2gb 800mhz ram and tf2 and HL2 all run fine). I loved HL 1 TF and DoD back in the day, those games ate up so much of my time, I was really looking forward to this remembering the hours of fun the first run gave me. I don't know what it is, this installment of HL and TF just arent doing it for me.

I mean I may go back to HL2 and give it another shot, after playing for awhile I just realized I was bored out of my mind. TF 2 is alright, I can see my self playing a game or 2 every now and again. I may just need to get used to the gameplay of halflife again, too many action filled downtime/puzzlesolvingless shooters in between then and now.
April 28, 2008 5:53:45 PM

infornography42 said:
I disagree. Ranking it as a single game both gives it an unfair advantage and sells short the greatness of each individual game contained in it.

For example, Portal is the best of several categories just on its own. TF2 has one of the best, if not the best multiplayer online experiences out there. And is it really fair to consider HL2 again since it wasn't honestly released last year.

Each game should, and can stand on its own unless the qualifier for the category is value. Then they should stand together as the best gaming value available last year.

It may not be fair to consider HL2 again but man that game just kicks sooo much ass. When it came out it was a big jump in graphics, gameplay and story. And HL2 EP2 is just amazing. I played it on my 40" and my jaw just dropped to the ground with how pretty and detailed everything wa @ 1920x1080.

TF2 is just the best multiplayer I have ever played and I used to play BF/BF2 a lot. It has a unique style and memorable characters.

Portal was just great and I love how it ties into HL2 and can't wait for EP3 and Portal2.

Overall OB is the best value. It giives you the entire HL2 series, TF2 and Portal. What more could ya need. Although if Audiosurf was included that would make it like a pure gold package.
April 28, 2008 6:27:36 PM

promac said:
Definitely not 1 game. Probably not even best value. There's a lot of good free games around.

I'm absolutely hooked on TrackMania at the moment!
!