Win 98-SE OEM Upgrade to XP ? ? ?

When I built my computer I purchased a legitimate CD copy of Win 98-SE
for about $90. I have already purchased a XP Upgrade ($99.99) but am now
told that my OEM version can NOT be upgraded. Is this true? If so is
there any way around this problem without buying the full XP version and
reloading all my programs?
TIA

Ron;
Depending on the version it should work.
Have you tried it or just going by what you were told?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Ron Estes" <ronestes@reply_to_two_too_pacbell.net> wrote in message
> When I built my computer I purchased a legitimate CD copy of Win
> 98-SE
> for about $90. I have already purchased a XP Upgrade ($99.99) but
> am now
> told that my OEM version can NOT be upgraded. Is this true? If
> so is
> there any way around this problem without buying the full XP version
> and
> reloading all my programs?
> TIA

You can use an OEM version of Windows 98 to satisfy the Windows XP Upgrade
version's installer. Just pop it in the drive when asked during the initial
installation of XP. I think you are confused in that an OEM version of XP
can't be used as an upgrade. OEM versions of XP can only do a clean install.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Ron Estes" <ronestes@reply_to_two_too_pacbell.net> wrote in message
> When I built my computer I purchased a legitimate CD copy of Win 98-SE
> for about $90. I have already purchased a XP Upgrade ($99.99) but am now
> told that my OEM version can NOT be upgraded. Is this true? If so is
> there any way around this problem without buying the full XP version and
> reloading all my programs?
> TIA

Hi Ron

Sound not be a problem upgrading from an OEM Win98 SE.

Gary Hendricks
www.baby-product-guide.com

"Ron Estes" <ronestes@reply_to_two_too_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<tWnad.27713$QJ3.26786@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
> When I built my computer I purchased a legitimate CD copy of Win 98-SE
> for about $90. I have already purchased a XP Upgrade ($99.99) but am now
> told that my OEM version can NOT be upgraded. Is this true? If so is
> there any way around this problem without buying the full XP version and
> reloading all my programs?
> TIA

Hi Ron,

What is telling you this? A person? Or a message on the screen when you try
it?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/