Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BitDefender Takes Down Windows 64-bit Versions

Last response: in News comments
March 23, 2010 12:18:56 AM

Congrats on using the correct word. Affect versus effect. Screws up so many people.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:28:40 AM

I used BD-GameSafe and about 3 months into my subscription I installed Windows 7 x64 and GameSafe was rendered useless. I was rather surprised that bitdifender was so nonchalant that GameSafe didn't support windows 7 x64. I reminded them I paid for a one year license and was only able to use 3 months out of it. About a month after I chatted with customer support, I received an email asking me to detail my problems. I just abandoned the case and bitdefender with it. It was my first time using them, and my last!
Score
Related resources
March 23, 2010 12:30:24 AM

People actually use that?

/nod32
Score
March 23, 2010 12:32:09 AM

You get what you pay for not surprising theres buggy cracked windows copies out there.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:41:16 AM

victomofrealityYou get what you pay for not surprising theres buggy cracked windows copies out there.

wat... english please
Score
March 23, 2010 12:56:27 AM

First Avast and now BitDefender, I wander whats going on.
Score
March 23, 2010 1:12:50 AM

Best AV is Avira =P
Score
March 23, 2010 1:21:10 AM

Maybe that's their new moto: Bitdefender - screwing your every bit
Score
Anonymous
March 23, 2010 1:44:47 AM

I too was under attack of the false positives from Bitdefender ( 64Bit). I was happy to have my (daily fresh) Acronis mirror and being able to restore my previous version of the operating system. I strongly advise everyone to buy Acronis and let it make on a mirror daily (based on a Grandfather, father, son schema) so your always have a restorable version at hand.
Bitdefender responded quickly (on Sunday) provide me with a patch solving the problem. Yes, it is not very nice to get confronted with this kind of bugs, but is still is men’s work and the risks on man failure will always be there.
Score
March 23, 2010 1:53:03 AM

Three words. Microsoft Security Essentials.
Score
March 23, 2010 2:12:27 AM

I will stick with Norton.
Score
March 23, 2010 2:15:42 AM

polarbear2kThree words. Microsoft Security Essentials.

+1 and you cant beat the price!
Score
March 23, 2010 2:37:43 AM

Bitdefender is a poor av it use to be good but now it is in the same class as norton, norton is the worst av by far because it is so popular it is the first av attacked by viruses and trojans, its detection rate is poor for price.

Comodo internet security free beats all av's hands down:

custom dns: filters bad sites lowering chance of catching something.
Sandbox: comodo sandboxes all apps that are used on the internet.
Firewall: one of the best firewalls
antivirus: has multiple settings high detection rate
Hips : Monitors network and/or system activities for malicious or unwanted behavior and can react, in real-time, to block or prevent those activities like the execution of fake av's.

I own my own computer store every day i see nortons with fake av's, fake registry programs, trojans, backdoors and rootkits same goes for all free ones avg,microsoft security,avast. I have yet to clean a machine that has comodo internet security free on it.

There are a few reviews on youtube check them out its even better.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:04:25 AM

I use BitDefender and it almost killed my RAID0 config. Good thing for me that I had just imaged my HDD the night before do to a hardware upgrade. So I just went back to that image, uninstalled that crap=BD, and put on Nortons from my ISP. I have a 2 year subscription with Bitdefender too, but I won't be loading it until they get their act together. I was like WT2s is a Trojan.FakeAlert.5, I was pissed.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:07:56 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials does rock...free and updats with Windows Update. Could it be any better? I used to use NOD32, by why bother or pay? MS anti virus is sweet.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:11:33 AM

Hah I Have Superantispyware , Mircrosoft sercurity essentials, malwarebytes, AVG, windows defender, and adware and 2-3 are always on and mircosoft essentials is always one of them. I never ever get viruses bugs, trojans or anything else plus I my com is scanned prob 20 times an day and considering my i7-920 is at 3.65 Ghz and 6 Gig of ddr3 1600 mhz ram I don't need to worry about lagging or freezing I mean I play games with the scans going on :D 
Score
March 23, 2010 3:11:47 AM

Neither my computer nor I have been affected because I do not use BitDefender. I wonder what happened when they tested the application on their own systems.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:15:26 AM

also I have realtime scanning of everything I am doing and I locked down my computer from everyone else on the network and other networks encrypted the router and now going to encrypt drives all with AES...no way in hell am I getting a virus of any sort or being hacked into.. only way is to physically hack through my steel case and the full thing ways 55 pounds of metal...
Score
March 23, 2010 3:16:49 AM

Who uses antivirus?
Score
March 23, 2010 3:17:37 AM

I originally purchased Gamesafe and loved the product. However before purchasing Gamesafe I informed Bit Defender that I intend to upgrade to Win 7 x64 in a few months time. They specifically mentioned that Gamesafe is not compatible with Win 7 x64 and offered an free upgrade to Bit-defender 2010 when necessary. After the release of Win 7 I sent an email informing them that I was upgrading and in a couple of days I was issued a new license for Bit defender 2010 Antivirus. I was happy with the way they handled the matter. I am wondering if those having issues actually took the time to inquire about system requirements before installing/purchasing the software?
Score
March 23, 2010 3:47:53 AM

I don't care how many people gets on Symantec's case, but NIS has never messed up my machines.
Score
March 23, 2010 4:49:30 AM

polarbear2kThree words. Microsoft Security Essentials.

Only problem with MSE is that it keeps sometimes freezing whole application in worst time (freeze firefox when downloading file even when its not finished yet, completely freezing total commander when copying files on backround etc)
Score
March 23, 2010 5:44:53 AM

kewlxalso I have realtime scanning of everything I am doing and I locked down my computer from everyone else on the network and other networks encrypted the router and now going to encrypt drives all with AES...no way in hell am I getting a virus of any sort or being hacked into.. only way is to physically hack through my steel case and the full thing ways 55 pounds of metal...

You should realize that this is the most novice mistake possible, and leaves your computer more unprotected than if you just had a single AV running, right?

Uninstall everything aside from MSE.
Score
March 23, 2010 6:29:45 AM

I have Bitdefender installed on my machine at home, and it was a pretty grim Saturday night. The whole thing lasted about 3 hours before the patch came. Someone did not test the update on x64 systems, so ... this is what you get for overlooking that.
Anyway, I will continue to use BitDefender, because until now I never had any problems, it did its job well, I love the Gamer mode, and it has a very god performance overall.
Bad things happen all the time, however I have a feeling that this will not happen again with BitDefender.
Score
Anonymous
March 23, 2010 8:29:15 AM

Hi everyone,

The problems with 64-bit OS experienced on Saturday were isolated and the update withdrawn shortly afterwards. Very few users have been affected and we apologize for any problems caused. Those still experiencing issues can get support here:

www.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/consumer/#638.

Best regards,

Matt Hicks,
BitDefender
Score
March 23, 2010 8:57:00 AM

Curnel_DYou should realize that this is the most novice mistake possible, and leaves your computer more unprotected than if you just had a single AV running, right?Uninstall everything aside from MSE.

I thought that was funny too. Bragging about his security when he's actually put his machine at risk of attack as well as instability due to the cesspool of drivers that are constantly running and potentially conflicting with each other.

It's ok to run multiple anti-malware/spyware programs. It is not ok to run multiple anti-virus programs, because they are much more deeply embedded in the system.
Score
March 23, 2010 9:57:04 AM

kewlxHah I Have Superantispyware , Mircrosoft sercurity essentials, malwarebytes, AVG, windows defender, and adware and 2-3 are always on and mircosoft essentials is always one of them. I never ever get viruses bugs, trojans or anything else plus I my com is scanned prob 20 times an day and considering my i7-920 is at 3.65 Ghz and 6 Gig of ddr3 1600 mhz ram I don't need to worry about lagging or freezing I mean I play games with the scans going on

sounds like a pretty crappy plan if you ask me
Score
March 23, 2010 11:06:32 AM

I had the weird quarantining file for a day, but I just restored my windows and it went away. Bitdefender is an amazing antivirus company. Anyone talking crap here either doesnt use them or is highly uneducated. They will fix the problems some are experiencing.
Score
March 23, 2010 11:07:29 AM

I'm pretty happy with Kaspersky, and am a big advocate due to it's heuristics engine. I'm just glad I haven't had random system/AV files marked bad.
Score
March 23, 2010 11:08:35 AM

Looks like the update was already released.
Score
March 23, 2010 11:46:40 AM

Whose QA'ing this stuff???
Score
March 23, 2010 1:11:08 PM

it would have been nice to know this was a false alarm before I rebuilt my machine from scratch and deleted my backups out of fear they were contaminated. I could have repaired my OS by simply booting up the repair disk and copying the necessary files from the backups and been back up and running by Saturday evening.

Instead, I got no email alert from Bitdefender saying it was a false alarm and had to rebuild from scratch. I still haven't had the time to get everything installed back on my machine.

I think I'm going to let my subscriptions lapse and go with another brand. Certainly not one of the big 3, but probably Eset or AVG.

I've been using Bitdefender for 4 years and they haven't given me problems. I would keep using them if they'd only have admitted their mistake and sent me a message right away. I would have received it on my secondary machine and known what was going on. then I could have repaired and been back up quickly. Instead, their lack of courtesy and wisdom of how to handle these things cost me several days of work.
Score
March 23, 2010 2:05:25 PM

randomizerWho uses antivirus?

Anybody with a brain?

Kaspersky rules them all btw.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:42:30 PM

I only use a firewall, so...
Score
March 23, 2010 4:10:46 PM

i use AVG
Score
March 23, 2010 4:20:32 PM

dreamphantom_1977I must be a lucky one, I haven't had any problems with it yet. Just did an update and an antivirus scan last night. Worked fine. I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

It was just an update that happened Saturday morning. They released a fix for it hours later, but the damage was done on my system by that point. They didn't even email their customers to tell them about it. I guess they just figured their fix was all that was needed.

If you weren't actively running anything Saturday morning at about 10:30-11:00AM through about 2:00PM mountain time, then you probably never would have seen any problems come up. For me, any exe I ran came up as infected and then deleted.
Score
March 23, 2010 5:35:39 PM

danielmastiaI only use a firewall, so...

I seriously haven't had an AV installed on my computer since early 2006. I've never had one bit of spyware, malware, adware, or any virus at all in that 4 year span.

All it takes is a properly maintained hardware and software firewall, and some (just some mind you, it's not real demanding) common sense.

Granted, I do keep a separate bench computer aside, dual booting XP and 7, with XP running Nod32 and 7 running Endpoint Protection. I use it for the occasional bring home work, but if I ever got in a bind, it'd work just as well as scanning and purging my own HDDs.
Score
March 23, 2010 5:56:13 PM

Been using Nod32 since the get-go , IMO it is in a league of its own...

I feel sorry for anyone skimping on their AV's ....

Score
March 23, 2010 6:05:46 PM

randomizerI thought that was funny too. Bragging about his security when he's actually put his machine at risk of attack as well as instability due to the cesspool of drivers that are constantly running and potentially conflicting with each other.It's ok to run multiple anti-malware/spyware programs. It is not ok to run multiple anti-virus programs, because they are much more deeply embedded in the system.

I'd thought he was joking around. You never know these days with how stupid people are.

TommySchAnybody with a brain?Kaspersky rules them all btw.

I totally agree. Kaspersky rocks. The Proactive Defense is a bit jumpy at times, but it generally isn't too bad.

Score
March 23, 2010 7:25:34 PM

Curnel_DAll it takes is a properly maintained hardware and software firewall, and some (just some mind you, it's not real demanding) common sense.

I have found that "common sense" isn't all that common...
Score
March 23, 2010 7:48:28 PM

As always its fun to see people claim they have not had any virus infections since "insert time period".
The thing is you cant know for sure that you don`t have an infection!

There is no fool and future proof scan method so whether you accept it or not there is no way to see how clean your system is other then finding some dirt.
I know this might be to philosophical for some (or most).
Score
March 23, 2010 8:01:17 PM

I certainly got bitten by this BitDefender screwup. It took Windows recovery about 3 or 4 tries to finally get my system to boot again.

The other problem that has been plaguing me for the last few months is my BD NS 2010 routinely dies after running a few days forcing me to reboot my system to get it running again.
Score
March 24, 2010 12:50:19 AM

Quote:
sounds like a pretty crappy plan if you ask me

even if it does thats ok because I have never gotten a virus or anything and besides NONE of the programs conflict with each other and I have never had a problem loading installing or running it. though I would like to know why is this making my computer more at risk? yes I can see that its more programs but also its more protection that scans. have you ever had something that was scanned 2 mins ago and then when scanned again something somehow was there? well my little bro did and he had only AVG or adware or whatever when it was back in the prime and hey I never had a problem with anything so why change it now?
Score
March 24, 2010 1:43:33 AM

Kewix avg and adaware scan for completely different things like the name suggess adaware scans for adware while avg scans for virus ... there is no reason why you should not run an antivirus scanner and a adware scannere on your system and a virewall if managed properly does make a huge difference. See it like defragmenting your harddrive cleaning up your registry and clearing your browsers cache all of those could be called maintenace ... however when you run multiple virus scanners you use more resoursec (including but not limited to shared dll,s ram and cpu cycles) at the same time more files will be in use and thus not able to be scanned by any scanner all virus scanners leave their marks on safe or unsafe files wich will thenmore likely be granted a safe stamp by the next scanner or even more likely hit a false positive.... most important harmfull software only needs to compromise one of your virus scanners to be able to do some damage. So with multiple virus scanners you have the above mentioned disadvantages (most notably the valse positives and bigger chance to get compromised) witout adding any swecuerity.
Score
March 25, 2010 1:12:35 AM

I had two computers affected by the Bit Defender 64-bit OS problem. I was working with them Saturday and was trying to recover them before Bit Defender disclosed the problem. I was able to recover one from an Acronis True Image Update which recovered to the RAID 1+0 array with no problem. The other is not so good. I had not turned the computer on in weeks but it was immediately infected when Bit Defender updated. I was unable to do anything even in Safe Mode. It is also a dual boot LINUX - Windows XP64 machine with hard drives in a RAID 1 array. I decided I would have to reload Windows as I could not do anything with the computer. When trying to reload, I got a blue screen. I then tried to reset the RAID array but that didn't help - still getting a blue screen. I used Western Digital's hard drive diagnostics but the computer will not successfully boot from either the floppy or CD version in order to run the diagnostics. I've got a worthless paperweight right now. I'm hoping Bit Defender support has some helpful ideas.
Score
March 25, 2010 1:13:07 AM

ok so just one of each but what I was told was that ad ware malware bytes, superantispyware, and avg were to be uninstalled and just keep mircosoft but like I thought I should keep them just rid myself of AVG.thanks
Score
March 25, 2010 9:59:16 AM

Kewix its not that simple since a lot of anti malware/virus scanners combine several kinds in to one pack and for as far as i know microsoft does just that.
I am not to familiar with there anti bad-ware so i cant tell you what is in there and what is not.

However since you bought it you must be able to figure that out and not only uninstall avg but also any other redundant scanners. from the looks of it they where right and you could dump them all.
Score
Anonymous
March 25, 2010 3:57:20 PM

Hi everyone,

We pride ourselves on our customer support and our top priority is to solve any customer problems. We have been working around the clock to address these customers and assist them with their needs, and we are continuing to work on the situation to ensure we cover all eventualities for all our users.

Where customers have specific concerns, we openly invite them to contact us for direct one-to-one human support regarding their individual issues. We kindly ask them to contact our support team directly via email, chat, phone or forum at:

•For home users: www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/contactEmail/
•For business solutions: www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/contactEmailBusiness/

Best regards,

Matt Hicks
Score
!