windows xp on 2nd home computer

October 11, 2004 4:47:04 AM

i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only requiring
a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
clarify for me.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 7:07:02 AM

Hi,

If my understanding is right, all that you want is to have the same machine
but two terminal in two different locations to work with. for this you need
not to buy any extra license. Instead you can buy one more monitor and get a
monitor share switch that will help you to switch your systems output between
two monitors.

For keyboard and mouse either you can run additional cables or you can buy
RF keyboard and mouse which can communicate with your machine with in 30 feet
app.

You will require additional license only if you are planning to go for
additional CPU (new machine altogether).

Regards

Ravickumar M

"viking10475@yahoo.com" wrote:

> i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
> possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
> room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only requiring
> a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
> previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
> clarify for me.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 1:15:38 PM

Hi

If you want to use XP on two machines, you will either have to purchase
another copy or purchase a 2nd license for the XP CD you already have:

"Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition"
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic...

Dependent on where you live.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"viking10475@yahoo.com" <viking10475yahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:FB1A1F66-A0AC-4D54-AB58-692180924D75@microsoft.com...
>i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
> possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
> room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only
> requiring
> a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
> previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
> clarify for me.
October 11, 2004 6:12:08 PM

KVM-switch is your need. I don't know how long cables can be, but be sure to
get shielded cables of good quality (=expensive)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"viking10475@yahoo.com" <viking10475yahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
kirjoitti viestissä
> i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
> possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
> room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only
requiring
> a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
> previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
> clarify for me.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 11:28:19 PM

"viking10475@yahoo.com" <viking10475yahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:FB1A1F66-A0AC-4D54-AB58-692180924D75@microsoft.com...
>i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
> possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
> room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only
> requiring
> a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
> previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
> clarify for me.

If you want a second computer, you need a second license.

If you want to run some very long cables to another room, that's a different
story. If the rooms have a common wall, you could poke a home through the
wall, I suppose, and use a KVM switch to allow you to choose which set of
monitor/keyboard/mouse you're going to use. Keep in mind that the longer the
cables are, the more likely you are to lose some signal quality. Buy
high-quality cables. If these rooms are too far apart, it's not going to be
feasible to get long-enough cables.

Also, only one user will be able to use the computer at a time.
!