windows xp on 2nd home computer

i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only requiring
a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
clarify for me.
4 answers Last reply
More about windows home computer

    Hi,

    If my understanding is right, all that you want is to have the same machine
    but two terminal in two different locations to work with. for this you need
    not to buy any extra license. Instead you can buy one more monitor and get a
    monitor share switch that will help you to switch your systems output between
    two monitors.

    For keyboard and mouse either you can run additional cables or you can buy
    RF keyboard and mouse which can communicate with your machine with in 30 feet
    app.

    You will require additional license only if you are planning to go for
    additional CPU (new machine altogether).

    Regards

    Ravickumar M

    "viking10475@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
    > possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
    > room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only requiring
    > a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
    > previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
    > clarify for me.

    Hi

    If you want to use XP on two machines, you will either have to purchase
    another copy or purchase a 2nd license for the XP CD you already have:

    "Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition"
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

    Dependent on where you live.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "viking10475@yahoo.com" <viking10475yahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:FB1A1F66-A0AC-4D54-AB58-692180924D75@microsoft.com...
    >i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
    > possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
    > room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only
    > requiring
    > a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
    > previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
    > clarify for me.

    KVM-switch is your need. I don't know how long cables can be, but be sure to
    get shielded cables of good quality (=expensive)

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "viking10475@yahoo.com" <viking10475yahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
    kirjoitti viestissä
    > i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
    > possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
    > room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only
    requiring
    > a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
    > previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
    > clarify for me.

    "viking10475@yahoo.com" <viking10475yahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:FB1A1F66-A0AC-4D54-AB58-692180924D75@microsoft.com...
    >i currently have one computer using xp home edition in the house. is it
    > possible to run required cables into another room so i can use xp in that
    > room? the setup i desire for the other room would be minimal, only
    > requiring
    > a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. responses to similar questions posted
    > previously indicate i may need to purchase another user license. please
    > clarify for me.

    If you want a second computer, you need a second license.

    If you want to run some very long cables to another room, that's a different
    story. If the rooms have a common wall, you could poke a home through the
    wall, I suppose, and use a KVM switch to allow you to choose which set of
    monitor/keyboard/mouse you're going to use. Keep in mind that the longer the
    cables are, the more likely you are to lose some signal quality. Buy
    high-quality cables. If these rooms are too far apart, it's not going to be
    feasible to get long-enough cables.

    Also, only one user will be able to use the computer at a time.

Computers Windows XP