quick question about enabling agp2x on mobo

rdn98

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I got one of those irongate mobo's with the amd 750 chipset.
I was reading one of the articles here on the site, and this is what it said:

Athlon-platform with AMD750 Irongate-chipset
AMD750 or 'Irongate' is supposed to offer AGP1x and AGP2x, but you are certainly aware by now that on those systems GeForce is running only at AGP1x by default. There is a switch in the driver however, which enables AGP2x on Irongate. It is an entry into the system registry of Windows 95 or Windows 98:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\System]
"EnableIrongate2x"=dword:00000001
Setting it to '1' as above results in AGP2x-mode, removing the entry completely resets back to AGP1x. For some reason I could set this entry to '0' and AGP2x would still be running. Please don't forget to restart your system before a change in the registry is taking effect. I'd also like to note that most Irongate-systems will sooner or later hang in 3D-games if you keep AGP2x enabled.

Be deleting the entry, does it mean delete the whole thing? Or just delete the entire last line?

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo R,

I don't know about that article..........but many people who I believe know their sh*t at Shuttle mainboards have told me that their AI61 slot A mobo will not run at AGP 2X with any GeForce Video Card.

I am running a Shuttle AI61 mobo(my quiet stealth machine with only 1 case fan) with a 700 mhz T-Bird, & a ATi Radeon 7000 64mb DDR @ 2X AGP. I think running a GF2 or better @ 1X AGP, will give you better video benchmarks, than this Radeon 7000 @ 2X AGP. I did not have to do anything in the system registry, I just set it in the bios & it is running @ 2X AGP. Confirmed by SiSoft Sandra & 3D Marks 2001 SE. The thing is I don't know how much performance you will gain by going to 2X AGP. IMHO you are better running a GF at 1X stable, than 2X unstable.

Peace Out.............tile2

Why do you want to believe me?