Slave disk drive problem - help please !!

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hi

I've just loaded WinXP Pro onto a new, clean disk using NTFS and it's all
gone
fine. But I have also connected a second hard disk, full of data, which was
my old Win98 disk (thus formatted in FAT32). This Win 98 disk is connected
as the
slave to the new Win XP master. The slave (Win 98) disk shows up in Disk
Management and in the device manager, but not in My computer or Explorer.
Disk Management shows it as "healthy" "active" and "online", yet there's
only one option available when you right-click the drive and that is "delete
partition".

I don't want to boot from this disk, or use Win98 on it - but I do want to
access
some files on it (i.e. copy across to new disk). How can I get this disk to
show up and be accessible as the slave to the new WinXP system ??? It
clearly knows it's there, but won't make it accessible........

Any help gratefully received.......

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 01:07:03 -0700, Phil wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just loaded WinXP Pro onto a new, clean disk using NTFS and it's all
> gone
> fine. But I have also connected a second hard disk, full of data, which was
> my old Win98 disk (thus formatted in FAT32). This Win 98 disk is connected
> as the
> slave to the new Win XP master. The slave (Win 98) disk shows up in Disk
> Management and in the device manager, but not in My computer or Explorer.
> Disk Management shows it as "healthy" "active" and "online", yet there's
> only one option available when you right-click the drive and that is "delete
> partition".
>
> I don't want to boot from this disk, or use Win98 on it - but I do want to
> access
> some files on it (i.e. copy across to new disk). How can I get this disk to
> show up and be accessible as the slave to the new WinXP system ??? It
> clearly knows it's there, but won't make it accessible........
>
> Any help gratefully received.......

Phil, anything out of the ordinary about the Win98 drive? For example, was
disk overlay software used to force the drive to work with an older
computer? Was the Win98 drive monitored by GoBack? Both of these things
will interfere with XP's Windows Exploer being able to see the drive.

GoBack was preinstalled on quite a few Win98 systems. If this was the case
and if it's possible, drop the Win98 disk back into the Win98 machine. Open
the GoBack program and remove the drive from its monitoring - or -
uninstall GoBack. Then try the drive in the WinXP computer again.

If using Disk Overlay, uninstall this. The same software used to install
needs to be used to uninstall. The disk prep tools were provided on a
floppy disk during the Win98 era. If you no longer have this disk, check
the drive manufacturer's site for the same version and download it. Since
the software runs directly from floppy, you shouldn't have to move the
drive if the XP machine has a floppy disk drive. Run the software,
uninstall the overlay. Restart and boot to XP.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User