Sign in with
Your question

Playstation 3 Console - (45nm) Cell Broadband Engine

Last response: in Video Games
April 30, 2008 7:22:25 PM

I've scoured the web tirelessly, but can not find any solid info. regarding a release date for PS3 console with 45nm Cell Broadband Engine. Does anyone have any inside info? Will it be released with the MGS4 80GB PS3 console in June?

The 45nm version, soon to be released, is supposedly 40% more energy efficient and runs cooler than the current 65nm version… much like the current 65nm was to the original 90nm version. I've tried calling my local Sony Store as well as a customer service line, but they had no idea what I was talking about and thought I meant HDD size. Oy!

Thanks in advance for any insight,

J :) 
May 2, 2008 7:45:27 PM

SkyYYZ said:
I've scoured the web tirelessly, but can not find any solid info. regarding a release date for PS3 console with 45nm Cell Broadband Engine. Does anyone have any inside info? Will it be released with the MGS4 80GB PS3 console in June?

The 45nm version, soon to be released, is supposedly 40% more energy efficient and runs cooler than the current 65nm version… much like the current 65nm was to the original 90nm version. I've tried calling my local Sony Store as well as a customer service line, but they had no idea what I was talking about and thought I meant HDD size. Oy!

Thanks in advance for any insight,

I am not sure about when they will release, but I can assure you that if you get one of the 65nm versions you wont be disappointed. I have had 0 problems with my 40gb over the past 6 months. The actual performance of the console in games will not change...if you are wandering. Hope this helps.

Best,

3Ball
May 3, 2008 12:27:27 AM

heyy 3Ball,

I understand that the 45nm Cell isn't going to be utilised to it's full potential... I'm mostly interested in having the latest technology. My desktop houses a 45nm Intel Core 2 E8400... call me a tech geek.

I'm thinking a newer PS3 console will include all the latest techology... perhaps even a newer BD revision, and hence I will be patient for it's release. I've managed to hold off buying the console this long.. whats another few months ;) 

A member on another forum pointed me to the following link, which suggests that units manufactured after August 2008 will include the newest generation CPU: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/04/21/sony-stocks-upgrade...

Appreciate your reply, thanks!

Related resources
May 3, 2008 12:44:16 AM

SkyYYZ said:
heyy 3Ball,

I understand that the 45nm Cell isn't going to be utilised to it's full potential... I'm mostly interested in having the latest technology. My desktop houses a 45nm Intel Core 2 E8400... call me a tech geek.

I'm thinking a newer PS3 console will include all the latest techology... perhaps even a newer BD revision, and hence I will be patient for it's release. I've managed to hold off buying the console this long.. whats another few months ;) 

A member on another forum pointed me to the following link, which suggests that units manufactured after August 2008 will include the newest generation CPU: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/04/21/sony-stocks-upgrade...

Well more power to ya on that one lol. I know how ya feel. Just thought I would let you know that the chip itself will be the exact same speed. A die shrink will do no more than produce less heat and use less power, but that is always a plus as well. ;)  haha gl to ya man. Hopefully someone else comes along with better information on your original question.

Best,

3Ball
May 3, 2008 7:04:46 PM

SkyYYZ said:
heyy 3Ball,

There's nothing wrong with wanting a 45nm based Cell in your PS3, but don't expect Sony to add a faster Blu-ray drive to the PS3. If anything they'll simply make the drive cheaper as it's currently one of the system's most expensive components. It's also unlikely that they would want to alienate early adopters by releasing a superior PS3 only two years after the system launched. Also, the PS3 is currently the only Blu-ray player to support BD 2.0 which was added recently in a firmware update.
November 5, 2009 1:28:52 AM

I just received my new 250GB PS3 with a 45nm cell CPU. They released yesterday 11/3/09 $349 with no games and 1 controller... Plenty considering what you get. Full web browser with built in10/100/1000BASE-T Wi-Fi. Please check this link http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/techspecs/tec... Have fun! I am! James
November 5, 2009 5:33:24 AM

Yer about 19 months late to the party :p 
!