controlling user usage on xp home

With a couple teenagers in the house I want to prevent computer usage
late at night.

We have tried 3rd party programs to control usage but none of them seem
to work.

I saw somewhere that you could set the times where users could be on an
xp computer. Does it work? Is it documented anywhere?

william kossack wrote:
> With a couple teenagers in the house I want to prevent computer usage
> late at night.
>
> We have tried 3rd party programs to control usage but none of them seem
> to work.
>
> I saw somewhere that you could set the times where users could be on an
> xp computer. Does it work? Is it documented anywhere?

You can set the times when a user is allowed to log on, but if they are
already logged on then there is nothing built in to force them to log
off. See info on the net user command for how to control when someone
is allowed to log on. You could set up a scheduled task to run at a
particular time each day that would log off the current user in
conjunction with setting the log on hours.

All of this is or course reversible so is only effective if security
restrictions are also in place. And there is ample information, if
someone is determined, on how to get around just about every security
restriction.

Bottom line is there isn't a technical way to do this that can't be
overcome if the person is intelligent and/or determined.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows