Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HELP!! -- random FPS drop/lag in most of my games

Last response: in Video Games
May 1, 2008 9:58:23 AM

Hi I just build a brand new PC (myself) about 2 weeks ago and when i play a game like TF2, CS:S, Gmod and TestDrive Unlimited it runs smoothly with a high FPS then periodically like every minute it drops to 1FPS for about 5-10 seconds and then goes smooth again, and keeps on repeating this. I have replaced everything in my PC except for my CPU and still does the same thing. I dont get it because when i play crysis it stays at a steady 20-30 FPS, even thou i meet all the system requirements by far. I have tried updating all the drivers for my GPU, Motherboard (BOIS too) and CPU (i think it was the right driver but the CPU was listed under Mobile CPU rather than Desktop). I have tried to set the affinity of the of the game to one CPU under Task Mgr but still no luck. I dont want to reinstall vista again as i have already done that 3 times and dont want to transfer all my files to a backup HDD again!! :fou: 

Can someone please help me I really want to play these games :( 

==specs==
500W PSU
Asus M2N-MX SE motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
2GB Ram
Ati HD 2600 Pro DDR2 512
320 GB HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate

May 1, 2008 10:54:24 AM

Do this. Open perfmon and set counters for CPU and memory utilization. Then monitor hard disk read and writes/sec. Then play a game for a while. Write down on a piece of paper what time on your system clock the slow downs occur then examine the perfmon data during those times.
May 1, 2008 12:03:56 PM

Ha y thanks for getting back so quick.
I did a report and at the time when it went all laggy and had a low FPS the CPU went to 100% and everything else looked normal but the report said " your system is experiencing excessive paging because the available memory of the system is low" Ha??. I have more than enough RAM to run this game as it only requires lyk 1GB. it said it used 1.4Gb of ram (83%) on the game and said it had 353Mb of RAM remaining .

Related resources
May 1, 2008 12:29:11 PM

Is there another process that's suddenly using a load of RAM?

An updater? (apple, adobe, java etc.)
Anti-virus?
Email checker? (gmail notifier etc.)

Anything like this can effect a game, try disabling as much as you can before playing.

And most new games will probably run better on 2 cores than one.
May 1, 2008 10:46:43 PM

No i dont have any anti virus software I only have the windows firewall and I turn off my email aswell. The only process that are taking up some RAM is windows explorer, desktop window manager and all those system things which i end (they only take up about 30mb at the most for some of them).

And i Have tried play my games on both individual cores (only using one core) and also both cores (the default) but no difference to the problem.
May 2, 2008 1:46:40 AM

did u update ur video card drivers?
May 2, 2008 3:44:08 AM

I updated the catalyst control center which apparently has the GPU driver in it aswell but i will download just the drive now
May 2, 2008 6:05:43 AM

If you're running windows vista you're losing nearly 1gb of ram to it straight away- it is ram hungry! Check in windows task manager and it will tell you exactly how much available ram you really have to use on your system after vista has stolen it. This would explain why you're cpu maxed out to try and make up for the lack of 'available' ram during the game. If I am right you may need to go to 4gb of ram. Vista 32bit will only see about 3gb of that altogether but at least you'll end up with about 2gb of real, available ram for you're games after vista steals about 1.2gb. Vista 64 will see up to at least 8bg of ram or even more I believe but beware 64bit did have some problems with some games but sp1 may have fixed them.
May 2, 2008 7:24:34 AM

But whats weird is that my PC can play crysis fairly smooth (15 - 30 FPS) with no periodic lag and crysis is the most demanding game out there. But with Team Fortress 2, which is not as demanding as crysis has periodic lags at (1 FPS for about 5-10 sec) . Now how do you explain that ??
May 2, 2008 10:57:42 AM

When I first started reading your post I initially thought about the hard disk being too slow due to bad drivers or a defective drive. But once I started reading I thought about the possibility about your system not having enough memory. But then I only just recently upgraded to 4GB from 2GB on Vista Ultimate X64 and even when I had 2GB’s of memory I never had the problems you described.

But one thing I was sure of making good was the page file. That’s the file on your hard disk that your system uses as memory when you run true memory runs out. If that’s slow then you will experience problems like your describing.

What you have to remember is that even though your not using all your systems memory your computer is still utilizing your page file for non-essential files. Games do also use this page file, and depending on how the game is coded it might use it more than others if at all.

It could be a simple fact that Crysis is simply better programmed and loads everything you need on to the systems memory and keeps everything that could potentially slow down your system if loaded too slow off your page file. I would check how fast your hard disk can run by using programs such as Sisoft Sandra to benchmark it.

Also check that your page file is set a large enough allocation, it should generally be twice the size of your memory. For instance if you have 2GB’s of ram set your page file to 4096MB’s.

Just so you can compare, I had my page file set to 4096MB’s for both the min and max size. I also had the page file running from a hard disk that was not running windows and was not used for loading games. It was a raid0 array and would read at 108MB per second. I would say if your hard disk reports anything round about the 10MB per second mark then you have an issue, a healthy hard disk with healthy drivers should run at around 40MB per second or more.
May 3, 2008 2:28:29 AM

Yea i upped my page file to 4096MB and looked at my HDD which was at 54MB sec and 14ms access time and it still lags. I am so annoyed about this!! I have no idea what it could be. My last system (which was 2.5Ghz celeron, 1.5 GB ram, 100GB hdd, Radeon 9600 pro 256MB and on Vista), it could play Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike Source steady at about 15-25 FPS without it doing this lag thing. So could it be something to do with the software side like drivers?? I have updated my driver for my GPU and system BIOS - I can't find a vista update driver for my CPU or Motherboard if there is any. I will try to play these games on my dualboot XP to see if will but i would prefer to keep all my games under vista reather than XP because of the hassel etc.
May 3, 2008 2:58:09 AM

I just played it on Xp and it wasnt any better if not worse. When i payed it did the lag thing, then after about 5 min it froze then my PC reset.
May 4, 2008 10:38:19 AM

Hay thanks to everyone who help. I found the problem it was my motherboard, it wasn't good enought to handle my other components. I replaced my MB with a higher quality one, reformatted and reinstalled Vista and all the drivers, played my game and it works thike a charm =). yay finally a PC to play decent games on
May 4, 2008 11:43:37 AM

Good to hear. I haven't been around after my first post sorry. That is a strange problem. Must have been a horrible bus layout or something.
May 20, 2008 2:17:52 PM

598243,1,324119 said:
Hi I just build a brand new PC (myself) about 2 weeks ago and when i play a game like TF2, CS:S, Gmod and TestDrive Unlimited it runs smoothly with a high FPS then periodically like every minute it drops to 1FPS for about 5-10 seconds and then goes smooth again, and keeps on repeating this. I have replaced everything in my PC except for my CPU and still does the same thing. I dont get it because when i play crysis it stays at a steady 20-30 FPS, even thou i meet all the system requirements by far. I have tried updating all the drivers for my GPU, Motherboard (BOIS too) and CPU (i think it was the right driver but the CPU was listed under Mobile CPU rather than Desktop). I have tried to set the affinity of the of the game to one CPU under Task Mgr but still no luck. I dont want to reinstall vista again as i have already done that 3 times and dont want to transfer all my files to a backup HDD again!! :fou: 

Can someone please help me I really want to play these games :( 

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+

Dude i have the exact same CPU and having the same problem with game, it drops to 5-10 fps from 100 all the time. I think we both just found a solution..... hmm and i was about to change my mobo
May 21, 2008 7:17:01 AM

Could also be a overheating graphics card. I had the same problem this weekend but it got progressively worse until I released the gfx fan wasn't on (the monitoring software could have informed me that the card was running over 128 degrees celius). Afterwards its on now.
June 16, 2009 9:43:50 PM

Hi guys,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. After days of searching the web and trying everything, I stumbled upon this thread:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2008083104250901...

I have Asus M2N-VM DVI and Athlon X2 64 6000+. Then, suddenly, I found out there are 2 (TWO!) different versions of my CPU:

1. 89-Watt one, made using 65nm technology (SOI) with total 1024kb of L2 cache

and

2. 125-Watt one, made using 90nm technology with total 2048kb of L2 cache

I checked my CPU again with CPU-Z app and it showed that I have the second version (2048kb of L2 cache, 1024kb for each core). Then I checked supported CPUs list on Asus website, and it turned out that M2N-VM DVI mobo supports only the first (89W) CPU type! And that is it! That's where those lags and all the issues come from!

Now that I know the issue, I'm going to buy a new CPU, preferably a more powerful one, but this time I will triple-check whether it is supported by my motherboard.

I hope my findings will help the rest of you looking for an answer. Good luck!

July 3, 2009 8:35:31 AM

nickazg said:
Hay thanks to everyone who help. I found the problem it was my motherboard, it wasn't good enought to handle my other components. I replaced my MB with a higher quality one, reformatted and reinstalled Vista and all the drivers, played my game and it works thike a charm =). yay finally a PC to play decent games on

Hi, i am having the exact same problem and i have the same set up as you did, i was hoping you could say which motherboard you upgraded to?
March 27, 2010 11:44:25 AM

Greetings,

Same problem here, but this problem didn't show until I exchanged my PSU (the last one broke down). Before then, I could run this mother board and processor without a problem, and played for hours without any FPS drops. Now, suddenly, I'm experiencing what has been described in this thread: Steady FPS, then a sudden drop down to 0-5 FPS for about ten seconds, then it goes back up again.

ASUS M4N78-AM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00 GHz
4 GB RAM DDR2
ATI Radeon HD 4850

Latest drivers and all that. Using monitoring devices, there's no overheating neither with the graphics card, nor the CPU. And like I said, it was running fine before I bought a new PSU (Corsair HX650). I wonder why... but it sounds like it's an issue of incompatability between the main board and the processor. It's just weird why it didn't show before.
March 13, 2011 2:15:21 PM

For WINDOWS VISTA users only:

I had the same FPS drop problem, so one day i decided to run a java game with task manager open right next to it. I noticed that when my computer slowed down/my fps dropped, it was because the CPU was being used 100%. Normally i would be using 15-25% of the CPU, but then some task named RacAgent suddenly showed up and ate 3/4 of the CPU...

After a bit of searching, I found out how to turn that off, and ever since then i haven't had FPS drop/100% CPU usage.

Here's the link to the article I found:

http://guy.dotnet-expertise.com/PermaLink,guid,e7b62d65...

Hope this helps some of you guys
September 6, 2011 6:25:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!