Anyone with a similar setup? (Epox 8RDA)

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Just ordered an Epox 8RDA Nforce2 to replace my aging KT266A. Decided to go with the 8RDA instead of the 8RDA+ because its out of stock at newegg and I dont need the features anyway.

Epox 8RDA
Audigy OEM
2x256MB Crucial PC2100
Geforce3
Hauppauge WinTV tuner
3Com 56k gaming modem
Linksys 10/100 nic

My ram tested bad under memtest86 on my kt266a, with one stick in at a time and in every slot. But I've had so many other problems with VIA chipsets (all used Crucial ram) I'm curious to see if the memory really is bad.

The kt266a would not work with the audigy flat out, any pci slot, on its own irq, every pci latency patch and voodoo trick i could throw at it.. using EAX3 it would squeal of death in about 2 minutes of gameplay.

Got to get out of via country thats my first move. The SIS735 board I had for a while was solid as a rock, loved it.. I wouldn't be surprised if I throw everything in the box and it all works on boot from the sounds of these boards. Any experiences?

Athlon 1700+, Gigabyte 7VTXE (KT266A), 2x256mb Crucial PC2100, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
nVidia chipsets to my knowledge do not use any VIA architecture, so that's a great start. I'm not hearing of any specific incompatabilities. Of course there's always the SiS 745 boards that are cheap and stable, such as the 745 Ultra, but I think you'll be happier with the nForce2.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>