Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit: Cheapest Fresh Install for Students

Last response: in Windows 7
August 21, 2010 12:27:34 AM

Hi guys,

I just built a new computer and need an operating system to run on it. Currently, I'm leaning towards Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Here's the catch: I'm a college student with a .edu email, so I'm eligible to purchase an upgrade version of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit for $30. (see http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows.aspx)

Since it's a new computer with no OS on it, I assume I wouldn't be able to use the upgrade version of Windows 7. So, what would be the cheapest way for me to avoid spending $300 on a retail version of Windows 7 Professional while still installing it legally onto my computer? Would I have to purchase a "cheap" OS like Windows XP Home Edition and then upgrade from that? I have an old laptop gathering dust in my closet that does have XP Home Edition on it, so could I install XP on the new computer, use the laptop's serial to activate it, and then upgrade from there?

This entire process is very frustrating, and it just seems like Microsoft is gouging the computer market by selling upgrade editions of it operating systems for $200 when it can just as easily give them to college students for $30.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sincerely,
Humer
a b $ Windows 7
August 21, 2010 5:14:42 PM

Hi.

U can do a clean installation with a upgrade disk just look for the manual in Google to do that.
m
l
August 21, 2010 8:27:10 PM

Another option could be Linux. Ubuntu is user friendly and is free. If you have never tried Linux before this may be the perfect opportunity.
m
l
Related resources
!