Run autoexec.bat on XP Startup?

October 11, 2004 6:25:08 PM

Even though I am new to XP I am not new to Windows. But I can't find
information (XP Help or Internet) anywhere that tells me how to make
"autoexec.bat" run on Windows XP Pro startup.

Maybe I need to use "autoexec.nt"?

I just want to execute the MSDOS command shown below:

subst s: c:\

I put a shortcut to the autoexec.bat file in my logon user's startup
folder. I see an MSDOS window open and close very fast but the
"subst" command does not get executed or does not work because
after startup there is no "S:" disk.

Anyone know what I'am doing wrong? Seems like a simple thing
to do but it just won't work for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Len
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:47:45 AM

Hi

XP doesn't use autoexec.bat. As you have suggested, try using autoexec.nt
instead. Have a look, from a command prompt, for the switches available for
'subst' when using XP.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Even though I am new to XP I am not new to Windows. But I can't find
> information (XP Help or Internet) anywhere that tells me how to make
> "autoexec.bat" run on Windows XP Pro startup.
>
> Maybe I need to use "autoexec.nt"?
>
> I just want to execute the MSDOS command shown below:
>
> subst s: c:\
>
> I put a shortcut to the autoexec.bat file in my logon user's startup
> folder. I see an MSDOS window open and close very fast but the
> "subst" command does not get executed or does not work because
> after startup there is no "S:" disk.
>
> Anyone know what I'am doing wrong? Seems like a simple thing
> to do but it just won't work for me.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Len
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 3:39:01 AM

I did try using the "autoexec.nt" file but it did not work either.
I did the same thing as with "autoexec.bat" - I inserted the
MSDOS command "subst s: c:\" and added a shortcut to the
"autoexec.nt" file in my logon user's startup folder.

Any other ideas? More feedback would be great for this seemingly
simple task. Thanks.

Len

"lennyxtp" wrote:

> Even though I am new to XP I am not new to Windows. But I can't find
> information (XP Help or Internet) anywhere that tells me how to make
> "autoexec.bat" run on Windows XP Pro startup.
>
> Maybe I need to use "autoexec.nt"?
>
> I just want to execute the MSDOS command shown below:
>
> subst s: c:\
>
> I put a shortcut to the autoexec.bat file in my logon user's startup
> folder. I see an MSDOS window open and close very fast but the
> "subst" command does not get executed or does not work because
> after startup there is no "S:" disk.
>
> Anyone know what I'am doing wrong? Seems like a simple thing
> to do but it just won't work for me.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Len
October 12, 2004 10:39:37 AM

You can't use autoexec.bat with Windows XP.
Have you tried looking for a dedicated scheduling program? There are
lots of such freeware out there.

Gary Hendricks
www.baby-product-guide.com

"lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<15350025-64A3-4864-9C6C-13E3AB04BE81@microsoft.com>...
> Even though I am new to XP I am not new to Windows. But I can't find
> information (XP Help or Internet) anywhere that tells me how to make
> "autoexec.bat" run on Windows XP Pro startup.
>
> Maybe I need to use "autoexec.nt"?
>
> I just want to execute the MSDOS command shown below:
>
> subst s: c:\
>
> I put a shortcut to the autoexec.bat file in my logon user's startup
> folder. I see an MSDOS window open and close very fast but the
> "subst" command does not get executed or does not work because
> after startup there is no "S:" disk.
>
> Anyone know what I'am doing wrong? Seems like a simple thing
> to do but it just won't work for me.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Len
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:43:29 PM

Autoexec.bat is read at user logon (not system startup) and only environmental commands are processed. It must be turned on. Autoexec.nt is run whenever a Dos or Win 3.1 program is started (although as standard the second program that runs uses the first programs settings).

In short you can's subst from Autoexec.

http://www.uscricket.com
"lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15350025-64A3-4864-9C6C-13E3AB04BE81@microsoft.com...

> Even though I am new to XP I am not new to Windows. But I can't find
> information (XP Help or Internet) anywhere that tells me how to make
> "autoexec.bat" run on Windows XP Pro startup.
>
> Maybe I need to use "autoexec.nt"?
>
> I just want to execute the MSDOS command shown below:
>
> subst s: c:\
>
> I put a shortcut to the autoexec.bat file in my logon user's startup
> folder. I see an MSDOS window open and close very fast but the
> "subst" command does not get executed or does not work because
> after startup there is no "S:" disk.
>
> Anyone know what I'am doing wrong? Seems like a simple thing
> to do but it just won't work for me.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Len
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 10:43:30 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the many replies. I am going to setup a logon script as has been
suggested. This I believe will work. The only item I am not certain about
is what was meant by "environmental commands are processed ... It must
be turned on.". How do I turn the environmental commands On?

Thanks very much for the great feedback.

Len

"David Candy" wrote:

> Autoexec.bat is read at user logon (not system startup) and only environmental commands are processed. It must be turned on. Autoexec.nt is run whenever a Dos or Win 3.1 program is started (although as standard the second program that runs uses the first programs settings).
>
> In short you can's subst from Autoexec.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15350025-64A3-4864-9C6C-13E3AB04BE81@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Even though I am new to XP I am not new to Windows. But I can't find
> > information (XP Help or Internet) anywhere that tells me how to make
> > "autoexec.bat" run on Windows XP Pro startup.
> >
> > Maybe I need to use "autoexec.nt"?
> >
> > I just want to execute the MSDOS command shown below:
> >
> > subst s: c:\
> >
> > I put a shortcut to the autoexec.bat file in my logon user's startup
> > folder. I see an MSDOS window open and close very fast but the
> > "subst" command does not get executed or does not work because
> > after startup there is no "S:" disk.
> >
> > Anyone know what I'am doing wrong? Seems like a simple thing
> > to do but it just won't work for me.
> >
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> > Len

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:08:20 PM

It's on unless your turn it off. Commands that affect the environment are all that are processed. Prohrams aren't. Internal commands (except the environmnental) aren't. This is commands like Path & Set.

http://www.uscricket.com
"lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C5E2287-F2AA-4761-AD8D-E422B0A79E7A@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the many replies. I am going to setup a logon script as has been
> suggested. This I believe will work. The only item I am not certain about
> is what was meant by "environmental commands are processed ... It must
> be turned on.". How do I turn the environmental commands On?
>
> Thanks very much for the great feedback.
>
> Len
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> Autoexec.bat is read at user logon (not system startup) and only environmental commands are processed. It must be turned on. Autoexec.nt is run whenever a Dos or Win 3.1 program is started (although as standard the second program that runs uses the first programs settings).
>>
>> In short you can's subst from Autoexec.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15350025-64A3-4864-9C6C-13E3AB04BE81@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > Even though I am new to XP I am not new to Windows. But I can't find
>> > information (XP Help or Internet) anywhere that tells me how to make
>> > "autoexec.bat" run on Windows XP Pro startup.
>> >
>> > Maybe I need to use "autoexec.nt"?
>> >
>> > I just want to execute the MSDOS command shown below:
>> >
>> > subst s: c:\
>> >
>> > I put a shortcut to the autoexec.bat file in my logon user's startup
>> > folder. I see an MSDOS window open and close very fast but the
>> > "subst" command does not get executed or does not work because
>> > after startup there is no "S:" disk.
>> >
>> > Anyone know what I'am doing wrong? Seems like a simple thing
>> > to do but it just won't work for me.
>> >
>> > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>> >
>> > Len

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 5:15:48 PM

If I understand correct then you cannot run any MSDOS commands
in "autoexec.bat" at logon time. The only commands that could be
used would be Environmental commands.

Well, is there any way to execute the one MSDOS command "subst s: c:\"
at user logon time or at startup? I guess I am asking to be spoon feed
here since I can't make it work with anyone's suggestions or my own
tests.

If someone knows how to do this (above) then I would greatly appreciate
it if you just show me by writing the procedure or whatever has to be done.

This would be like salvation to make this work. I would be indebted.

Thanks very mush.

Len

"David Candy" wrote:

> It's on unless your turn it off. Commands that affect the environment are all that are processed. Prohrams aren't. Internal commands (except the environmnental) aren't. This is commands like Path & Set.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C5E2287-F2AA-4761-AD8D-E422B0A79E7A@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for the many replies. I am going to setup a logon script as has been
> > suggested. This I believe will work. The only item I am not certain about
> > is what was meant by "environmental commands are processed ... It must
> > be turned on.". How do I turn the environmental commands On?
> >
> > Thanks very much for the great feedback.
> >
> > Len
> >

> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> Autoexec.bat is read at user logon (not system startup) and only environmental commands are processed. It must be turned on. Autoexec.nt is run whenever a Dos or Win 3.1 program is started (although as standard the second program that runs uses the first programs settings).
> >>
> >> In short you can's subst from Autoexec.
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.uscricket.com

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 10:38:50 AM

Put it into a shortcut and the shortcut into the startup folder.

http://www.uscricket.com
"lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF7427A3-EEBC-45E4-A2AC-F87167C76516@microsoft.com...
> If I understand correct then you cannot run any MSDOS commands
> in "autoexec.bat" at logon time. The only commands that could be
> used would be Environmental commands.
>
> Well, is there any way to execute the one MSDOS command "subst s: c:\"
> at user logon time or at startup? I guess I am asking to be spoon feed
> here since I can't make it work with anyone's suggestions or my own
> tests.
>
> If someone knows how to do this (above) then I would greatly appreciate
> it if you just show me by writing the procedure or whatever has to be done.
>
> This would be like salvation to make this work. I would be indebted.
>
> Thanks very mush.
>
> Len
>

> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> It's on unless your turn it off. Commands that affect the environment are all that are processed. Prohrams aren't. Internal commands (except the environmnental) aren't. This is commands like Path & Set.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.uscricket.com
>> "lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C5E2287-F2AA-4761-AD8D-E422B0A79E7A@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the many replies. I am going to setup a logon script as has been
>> > suggested. This I believe will work. The only item I am not certain about
>> > is what was meant by "environmental commands are processed ... It must
>> > be turned on.". How do I turn the environmental commands On?
>> >
>> > Thanks very much for the great feedback.

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 10:38:51 AM

When something works, especially when it was a simple solution, the
solution's author deserves accolades. I did the following as suggested:

entered the 1 line command shown below in a file named "vdiskofc.bat"

subst s: c:\

I then made a shortcut to "vdiskofc.bat" and placed the shortcut in my
logon user's "Startup" folder.

Magic!! It works!!

Thanks you all for the many suggestions provided to me. Special thanks to
David. This shows how a Technical User's Community can benefit many.

Thanks again.

Len

"David Candy" wrote:

> Put it into a shortcut and the shortcut into the startup folder.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "lennyxtp" <lennyxtp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF7427A3-EEBC-45E4-A2AC-F87167C76516@microsoft.com...
> > If I understand correct then you cannot run any MSDOS commands
> > in "autoexec.bat" at logon time. The only commands that could be
> > used would be Environmental commands.
> >
> > Well, is there any way to execute the one MSDOS command "subst s: c:\"
> > at user logon time or at startup? I guess I am asking to be spoon feed
> > here since I can't make it work with anyone's suggestions or my own
> > tests.
> >
> > If someone knows how to do this (above) then I would greatly appreciate
> > it if you just show me by writing the procedure or whatever has to be done.
> >
> > This would be like salvation to make this work. I would be indebted.
> >
> > Thanks very mush.
> >
> > Len
> >

> > "David Candy" wrote:
> >
> >> It's on unless your turn it off. Commands that affect the environment are all that are processed. Prohrams aren't. Internal commands (except the environmnental) aren't. This is commands like Path & Set.
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://www.uscricket.com

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:27:15 AM

You don't need the bat, Just put it directly into the shortcut
subst s: c:\

Then set the properties to run minimised so you don't get the flashing black screen.
http://www.uscricket.com

!