Windows 7 auto-overclocking?

I had an interesting occurrence today, mainly in the form of this:
overlcock.png

My notebook was in balanced mode, and wasn't really doing anything - yet windows decides to overclock it? Windows 7 is more aggressive with changing clockspeeds for power savings, but I didn't hear a thing about overclocking!

Chances are a background process started running and brought the system out of it's power saving mode.
Since the stock speed of the T8300 CPU is 2.4Ghz Im not sure the term overclocking should apply. Perhaps it refers to the standard 'balanced mode' state.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
If you load the picture outside of the forum its clear enough.
It's a T8100 @ 2.1Ghz running 9% overclocked.

Windows 7 wont have the ability to overclock, it can't even underclock (all it does is send a type of HALT signal to the CPU, its the CPU that lowers its multiplier not windows adjusting the FSB speed or anything like that). It is possible your notebook's drivers are doing it though. I know on desktops there are auto OC features in the BIOS and/or drivers e.g. Asus A.I.Booster.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Unless it's a software issue, I did come across something, bit of chat about that processor jumping its multiplier up on load.

Run CPU-Z, see if the multi drops from 11.5 down to 10.5 after idles for a bit.

It is a T8100, so the stock clock is 2.1GHz.

CPUz won't show the same clockspeed (at least, I haven't seen it), but it also does not update as quickly as Everest does.

I haven't installed any sort of power driver that could do this (other than the chipset driver, but I really doubt that Intel would do this sort of thing on a notebook..). The OS install is a clean Windows 7 - so it's not OEM.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Ahhh got ya.
More than likely but you don't need to, it shouldn't change that often/rapidly.
Its the multiplier being at 11.5, its supposed to be at 10.5.

From what I read those chips have 11 and 11.5 multis but they're disabled by default, sounds like somehow yours have got enabled, I don't know enough techincal information to say for sure or how, but just enjoy it I guess.

TRENDING THREADS