I've recently aquired a HP 9000 Model E35.

It's approx 4U in size and rack mountable.

Alas I've not been able to find any trace of manuals for it on hp.com
or openpa

I've connected up a windows box to port 0 on the mux, and powered up.
This is via a crossover cable, and a gender changer.

All I get is a blinking attention light (not an expletive, the
attention light flashes)

Is this box dead? wounded? Can anyone point me to a resource that can
help ?

I rescude this from being thrown away
- it'd be nice just to be able to boot it up :)

On 19 Jun 2004 06:51:45 -0700, oPless wrote:

>I've recently aquired a HP 9000 Model E35.
>
>It's approx 4U in size and rack mountable.
>
>Alas I've not been able to find any trace of manuals for it on hp.com
>or openpa
>
>I've connected up a windows box to port 0 on the mux, and powered up.
>This is via a crossover cable, and a gender changer.
>
>All I get is a blinking attention light (not an expletive, the
>attention light flashes)
>
>Is this box dead? wounded? Can anyone point me to a resource that can
>help ?
>
>I rescude this from being thrown away
> - it'd be nice just to be able to boot it up :)

I don't know what that light pattern means for a model E35.

However, if you post your question in the newsgroup comp.sys.hp.hpux,
you may get a better answer. Many of the people on that newsgroup will
have experience with that model.

Aidan Grey

IIRC it wanted a dumb terminal, preferably something like a 700/92 (not
something running VT emulation). With those the common error was not to
enable "remote" via the softkeys (F4 I think).

Running a HP terminal emulator proggy from a laptop (HP reflections???) even
then you had the softkeys emulated.

Flashing Attention light???? Maybe flat battery in the power supply. Only
guessing but it might give you something to go on until someone can give you
more useful info.

regards

"Aidan Grey" <apgrey@nospam.con> wrote in message
> On 19 Jun 2004 06:51:45 -0700, oPless wrote:
>
> >I've recently aquired a HP 9000 Model E35.
> >
> >It's approx 4U in size and rack mountable.
> >
> >Alas I've not been able to find any trace of manuals for it on hp.com
> >or openpa
> >
> >I've connected up a windows box to port 0 on the mux, and powered up.
> >This is via a crossover cable, and a gender changer.
> >
> >All I get is a blinking attention light (not an expletive, the
> >attention light flashes)
> >
> >Is this box dead? wounded? Can anyone point me to a resource that can
> >help ?
> >
> >I rescude this from being thrown away
> > - it'd be nice just to be able to boot it up :)
>

> I don't know what that light pattern means for a model E35.
>
> However, if you post your question in the newsgroup comp.sys.hp.hpux,
> you may get a better answer. Many of the people on that newsgroup will
> have experience with that model.
>
> Aidan Grey

---

oPless wrote:

> I've recently aquired a HP 9000 Model E35.
>
> It's approx 4U in size and rack mountable.
>
> Alas I've not been able to find any trace of manuals for it on hp.com
> or openpa
>
> I've connected up a windows box to port 0 on the mux, and powered up.
> This is via a crossover cable, and a gender changer.
>
> All I get is a blinking attention light (not an expletive, the
> attention light flashes)
>
> Is this box dead? wounded? Can anyone point me to a resource that can
> help ?
>
> I rescude this from being thrown away
> - it'd be nice just to be able to boot it up :)

You can also check the pa-linux group at http://parisc-linux.org/ or
http://www.pateam.org/realisations.html. Have you checked
http://www.openpa.net/systems/e-class.html ?

As far as I know, this E35 is a great stove but not much computing power. Then
it is not well documented in the public. I had a E45 and dumped it last year
since it generated way to much heat and was not capable of running linux of its
own disks.

In the end, you will generate a lot of sweat figuring out how to use it. Once
you use it, you will generate even more sweat by the heat it generates.

CBee

CBee wrote:

> In the end, you will generate a lot of sweat figuring out how to use
> it. Once you use it, you will generate even more sweat by the heat it
> generates.

I still have to E-Class systems, one E35 (Tower) and one E55 (Rack). The E35
isn't fast but it doesn't produce that much heat (not more than an old PC).
With better disks (i.e. Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm) and 128MB+ RAM it still
makes a nice box for experimenting around with HP-UX 11i...

Benjamin

does anyone know for the E55, what the FLT 701B means when booting?