Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Report: Nvidia GTX 480 to Have Disabled Cores

Last response: in News comments
March 23, 2010 12:21:45 AM

The more and more i read about these cards the less and less i think the 5800 series will drop in price, but i have waited this long for a new card i could hold out till the official benchmarks come out.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:22:23 AM

6 months late, AMD already has near a dozen DX11 parts out, this will likely cost more than equivalent AMD cards (based on transistor count and yields), and run hotter and louder to top it all off.

*Starts slow clap for Nvidia*
Score
Related resources
March 23, 2010 12:23:29 AM

Fail :( 
Score
March 23, 2010 12:26:08 AM

why would someone buy a brand new vga with disabled cores on it ?
Score
March 23, 2010 12:28:04 AM

Although i don't like the idea of throwing out tons of video cards...it just doesn't seem right to sell them to customers if they have disabled cores. Rather, it seems like if they are making lower models with the same material than the highest model should be equal cost...

I think im going in circles. I don't like the idea.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:28:09 AM

Speculations won't stop til Friday. Even if this is true, if they work, that's what counts. GTX260's technically had 240 cores, originally with 48 disabled, then 32. It's just teething pains.

I'd be more concerned with just how much power these things will consume. The ~290W figures are just plain scary.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:28:36 AM

No what they will do with these defective cores and chips is they will make a GTX475.... an inbetweener like the previously defective GTX275 and Ati's 4830's. This will allow a new SKU to be introduced but in reality it is nothing but a simple recycling of a non-perfect or non=standard GPU.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:34:37 AM

tipoo6 months late, AMD already has near a dozen DX11 parts out, this will likely cost more than equivalent AMD cards (based on transistor count and yields), and run hotter and louder to top it all off. *Starts slow clap for Nvidia*

Enough with the DX11 argument. How many games have you played which are true DX11? And how many DX11 "compatible" games look any better then their DX10 or even DX9 hybrid counterparts? I am all for DX11, but it's nonsense at this point to make it seem like the DX11 issue is the make it or break it thing regarding the ATI vs nvidia race. I own an nvidia, but I know ATI rocks and next purchase i'll be making will be an objective one, not based on brand loyalty.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:41:58 AM

Stop fluffing Fermi! I can't think of anything else that's had this many articles without any actual substance! when the benches come out then I'll be interested, and if theres benchmarks with the disabled cores unlocked I'll be extremely interested, till then give me a break please.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:48:34 AM

If the GTX 480 has 480 cores, it seems the GTX 470 should have 470 cores, or change it's name to the GTX 448.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
March 23, 2010 12:49:34 AM

jimishtar said:
why would someone buy a brand new vga with disabled cores on it ?

What like a 5830?
rage machine said:
Although i don't like the idea of throwing out tons of video cards...it just doesn't seem right to sell them to customers if they have disabled cores. Rather, it seems like if they are making lower models with the same material than the highest model should be equal cost...

I think im going in circles. I don't like the idea.

Do you like the idea of a 5830 then as it's kind of the same thing?
Score
March 23, 2010 12:50:33 AM

gtx1924@Tomshardware: Thats old news. Other sites such as Fudzilla reported that earlier. Also check out Bright Side of News to see why they disabled the cores---rather than limiting the amount of 512-core cards they give partners, they increased the supply of 480-core cards such that it outnumbers ATi's supply 2:1 by the time Fermi is launched. Funny you didnt mention that.

You think the 480 card supply outnumbers ATI's 58xx series 2:1? I guess thats why Nvidia said availability will be scarce till April 6.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
March 23, 2010 12:51:36 AM

Well, just five days to know the true about Fermi and his performance, lets see how many of that nVidia "bad" news are true.
Score
March 23, 2010 12:52:26 AM

It's odd that NVidia is having trouble with 40nm yields, since both AMD and Nvidia Chips a MADE IN THE SAME BUILDING at Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC.) Maybe Nvidia should contract intel which seems to be having no such issues at 32nm...
Score
March 23, 2010 12:57:37 AM

Why didn't gt200 have 256 cores?
Score
March 23, 2010 1:03:03 AM

CPU and GPU processes are very different. Nvidia couldn't just go to Intel and ask to use their process. Also... there's no way Intel would let ANYONE use its fabs, they spend a fortune to ensure their process is first and fastest.

And LOTS of video cards come out with disabled cores. HD 5850, GTX 260, 8800GT, X800GTO, there's a bunch of others. What matters is performance, price, and then heat, noise, and power. Whether or not a card has disabled cores doesn't make any different.
Score
March 23, 2010 1:04:01 AM

manitoublackIt's odd that NVidia is having trouble with 40nm yields, since both AMD and Nvidia Chips a MADE IN THE SAME BUILDING at Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC.) Maybe Nvidia should contract intel which seems to be having no such issues at 32nm...

I think your getting AMD confused with VIA. I'm not an expert, but I would think GlobalFoundries does AMDs stuff...
Score
March 23, 2010 1:10:45 AM

PMSL at the hypocrasy of the AMD/ATi fanboys...

Why use GPUs with disabled cores? I'll just say... Phenom x3.
Score
March 23, 2010 1:16:10 AM

jimishtarwhy would someone buy a brand new vga with disabled cores on it ?

Like the 5850?
Score
March 23, 2010 1:19:46 AM

ACC can unlock the fourth core on some AMD triple core CPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens here to allow those with 512 good cores to push the card to its full potential.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
March 23, 2010 1:21:04 AM

builderbobftw said:
Like the 58530?

Fixed! (and already mentioned).
Score
March 23, 2010 1:22:36 AM

builderbobftwLike the 5850?

I wouldnt buy 5850 nor gtx 480 or amd x3. i dont care about brand/manufacturer, what I care about is a 100% healthy, 100% able hardware. its like buying a v6 car with 2 disabled pistons. just doesnt sound right, does it ?
Score
March 23, 2010 1:23:08 AM

manitoublackIt's odd that NVidia is having trouble with 40nm yields, since both AMD and Nvidia Chips a MADE IN THE SAME BUILDING at Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC.) Maybe Nvidia should contract intel which seems to be having no such issues at 32nm...

The TSMC yield issues were also apparent in the earlier Radeon's, I suggest you do more reading. They most likely did a similar thing to their cards to correct the issues, or worked something out with TSMC, that I'm not sure about.

But since we don't know everything, lets take the big company and turn them into an evil corporate monster! Why not? /sarcasm, seriously? Try being brand neutral or keep your "opinions" to yourself.

As for using a card with disabled cores....a card with less cores is better than a card with voltage leaking and performance flounders/crashing. Simply put of course.

Score
March 23, 2010 1:24:52 AM

jimishtarI wouldnt buy 5850 nor gtx 480 or amd x3. i dont care about brand/manufacturer, what I care about is a 100% healthy, 100% able hardware. its like buying a v6 car with 2 disabled pistons. just doesnt sound right, does it ?

If it's advertised as a 4 piston engine and performs as such, why do you care? If you can find me 100% healthy and 100% able hardware, you tell me please.
Score
March 23, 2010 1:25:28 AM

SchizoFrogPMSL at the hypocrasy of the AMD/ATi fanboys...Why use GPUs with disabled cores? I'll just say... Phenom x3.

Why not add all these to the list?
Kuma CPUs, Phenom II X2, Phenom II X3, Athlon II X2, and Athlon II X3
While you're at it, add the HD4830, 9600GSO (along with numerous other G92 variations), and my aforementioned GTX260.

This sort of thing should be of no shock to anyone who's paid attention over the last few years. It simplifies production tremendously. You design one chip, and one chip only. You take the ones that work perfectly and sell them properly as the flagship. You take the ones that are slightly imperfect, disable the imperfections, then sell them as lesser models.

The problem with nVidia's Fermi is that it doesn't seem as though they aren't getting any "perfect" yields, yet. Though, I can't imagine a card that has 32 of it's 512 cores disabled, yet already draws almost 300W of power remaining within the PCIe 300W standard when all 512 cores are enabled. Even if it barely manages to slip within the limit, there would be zero overclocking headroom.
Score
March 23, 2010 1:45:29 AM

Can we expect a GTX490 with all the cores and perhaps faster speeds?
Score
Anonymous
March 23, 2010 1:50:27 AM

Disabling cores makes no sense to me, I don't mind it, it just sounds stupid.
Score
March 23, 2010 1:53:42 AM

jimishtarI wouldnt buy 5850 nor gtx 480 or amd x3. i dont care about brand/manufacturer, what I care about is a 100% healthy, 100% able hardware. its like buying a v6 car with 2 disabled pistons. just doesnt sound right, does it ?

By your logical virtually every CPU is defective because only few are binned as being EE. You go on paying $1000 for CPUs while I pay for $200, overclock and get equal or better performance.
Score
March 23, 2010 2:30:13 AM

victomofrealityStop fluffing Fermi! I can't think of anything else that's had this many articles without any actual substance! when the benches come out then I'll be interested, and if theres benchmarks with the disabled cores unlocked I'll be extremely interested, till then give me a break please.

duke nukem
Score
March 23, 2010 2:45:17 AM

NVidia certainly has every right to release defective GTX 480/470's. What causes concern is where are the fully functional 512SP parts? ATI release fully working 5870 and cut down SKU's 5850's. However with NVidia all we're seeing are defective 480's and 470's being passed off as flagship parts. Are you guys really buying this BS?
Score
March 23, 2010 2:50:03 AM

Everyone, calm down. This same rumor has cropped up several timnes over the past few months, and nV has NOT stated that the 480 will have any fewer than 512 cores.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:04:42 AM

Fail
Score
Anonymous
March 23, 2010 3:06:14 AM

You'll never get equal or better performance from a $200 processor vs a $1000 processor, and if you think you can then please post your oc so I can see it because I doubt your going to squeeze 5ghz out of a i7 920. And that was done back in 08 on an i7 965. Those $1000 cpu's your talking about have more potential than ever before weather they be intel or amd so your $200 oc is nothing more than a stable processor with headroom to overclock, you can only squeeze so much performance out of any processor so lower end = lower yields, upper end = higher yields. True enthusiast buy the best hardware to stay competitive and so they can tweak for maximum performance/processing power and bragging rights. I personally prefer to not upgrade my pc every year or 2 and so I tend to spend a large amount of money every 5 or so years depending on technology and how much faster the newer hardware is. Nothing against overclocking lower end stuff, but oc a i7 980 vs a i5 or even an i7 920 and you'll never be able to come close to the 980 in terms of stable performance and processing capability at the same speeds (you can thank intel or qpi for that). But then again I do love a good oc.

As far as the videocard issues Nvidia will remain solid in it's price/performance even after disabling cores like all the manufacturers have been doing for years. Objectively I always go with performance spec's when I decide on my pc purchases so more than likely at the rate it's going I will retire my old 9800gtx's this year depending on how much faster the benchmarks are on the newest cards out.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:08:16 AM

Wow, another rumor. I would like to suspend my judgment on this matter until Nvidia release these cards and reviewed. Whether it would have disabled cores or not, actual performance would still be the basis if this card will suck or not. IMO, Toms could compress these Nvidia Fermi news in a single article instead of some pieces of small tidbits.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:53:12 AM

The first technical reviews should be available in 4 or 5 days. No point in getting excited until then.
Score
March 23, 2010 3:53:57 AM

hmm...hopes this miraculously pushes down 5770 prices...need another one yet
Score
March 23, 2010 4:06:21 AM

I'm tired... Release those damn cards already... Aarrgghh!!!
Score
March 23, 2010 5:04:40 AM

Didnt we see a screen cap from someone in austrailia that showed the 512 cores already? Might have been an engineering sample but still there are 512 core versions out there. Maybe they disabled some of the cores to cut down on power consumption so it doesnt suck up 295w on 1 gpu. Maybe this is all BS (barbera streisand) and rumor spread by amd fan sites like smear-accurate.

Heres a pic from someone in asia some where (note the asian language characters on the left hand window)

http://i43.tinypic.com/14lsln7.jpg

Score
Anonymous
March 23, 2010 5:24:35 AM

I'm no fan of nvidia products (mainly because it's beyond my budget), but damn. Hurry up and make something happen to lower 5870 prices so I can buy one already. I'm cheering you on, don't disappoint me!
Score
March 23, 2010 5:34:54 AM

Quote:
I'm no fan of nvidia products (mainly because it's beyond my budget), but damn. Hurry up and make something happen to lower 5870 prices so I can buy one already. I'm cheering you on, don't disappoint me!

What if they're the same price and the amd card doesnt come down in the first couple of months? What if amd releases a 5990 or a 5890?
Score
March 23, 2010 5:42:52 AM

IMO: technology comes in 2 main factor Architecture and Manufacturing
NV play a lot on Architecture while they sacrifice the manufacturing process, this is why Fermi late so long and cost more than 5xxx
Architecture prove to give better performance but using old manufacturing process will cost high price to end user
Nowdays graphic card such 5850 deliver great performance even on 1920 res and how many of the gamers could afford such 30 inch monitor as so they require to buy such 5970 or GTX 480.
How much performace actually we need to be satisfied by graphic card ?
Well I don't really bother whether the new architecture from fermi or maybe 6xxx series as long I can play with the latest dx ver with descent framerate in my monitor.
Score
March 23, 2010 6:38:04 AM

builderbobftwLike the 5850?

Yeah, but not like 5870. Top model should have all the cores enabled. Cutting down for lower end models is fine.
Score
March 23, 2010 7:08:12 AM

brendano257The TSMC yield issues were also apparent in the earlier Radeon's, I suggest you do more reading. They most likely did a similar thing to their cards to correct the issues, or worked something out with TSMC, that I'm not sure about.

Read up:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3740&p=1

To us common folk, we think that designing a chip is a straightforward process, just like how you build a building. Create blueprints, then get materials, then build house.

Unfortunately for the chip industry, you could design all you want, but the chip production facilities have guidelines and limitations on what you could draw-up.

Based on the anand article, nvidia is failing now because they transitioned to 40nm a little bit too late. ATi already had a 40nm part long ago (4770), so they had experience creating chips with the 40nm process.
Score
March 23, 2010 7:15:27 AM

Having just upgraded to 3x4870 I no longer care at all about nvidia's failure to compete :) 
Score
March 23, 2010 7:31:49 AM

I've known about the issue of less cores for a while...its not a peice of info that's suddenly appeared, that's been out there for the last 3 weeks! Come on Tomshardware, get your arse into gear!
Score
March 23, 2010 8:10:19 AM

myocingskillsYou'll never get equal or better performance from a $200 processor vs a $1000 processor, and if you think you can then please post your oc so I can see it because I doubt your going to squeeze 5ghz out of a i7 920. And that was done back in 08 on an i7 965. Those $1000 cpu's your talking about have more potential than ever before weather they be intel or amd so your $200 oc is nothing more than a stable processor with headroom to overclock, you can only squeeze so much performance out of any processor so lower end = lower yields, upper end = higher yields. True enthusiast buy the best hardware to stay competitive and so they can tweak for maximum performance/processing power and bragging rights. I personally prefer to not upgrade my pc every year or 2 and so I tend to spend a large amount of money every 5 or so years depending on technology and how much faster the newer hardware is. Nothing against overclocking lower end stuff, but oc a i7 980 vs a i5 or even an i7 920 and you'll never be able to come close to the 980 in terms of stable performance and processing capability at the same speeds (you can thank intel or qpi for that). But then again I do love a good oc. As far as the videocard issues Nvidia will remain solid in it's price/performance even after disabling cores like all the manufacturers have been doing for years. Objectively I always go with performance spec's when I decide on my pc purchases so more than likely at the rate it's going I will retire my old 9800gtx's this year depending on how much faster the benchmarks are on the newest cards out.

You really are an idiot. THEY ARE THE SAME CHIP!!! Ever head of speed binning? As in a 3.3 GHz proccy being sold as a 2.4 proccy, cause few people buy 3.3's? It is because of this fact that OC'ing is even possible. And no i7 will get to 5 GHz unless you are willing to use liquid nitrogen or something. They top out at the 4.2 mark. ALL lynnfield/clarkdale/nehalem processors. Yes, even the $200 i5 750 will OC as hard as an i7 975. Most "enthusiast" hardware is simply put a waste of money.
Score
March 23, 2010 9:35:04 AM

nvidia following amd`s core reenabling technique ??? :) )
Score
March 23, 2010 10:25:19 AM

well, the problem with the fermi cores/sections unlike amds x2/x3 variants is that amd disables cores to fill market price segments, nvidia is disabling sections of the fermi gpu because its running extremely hot or soaking up too much power, or its actually faulty.
Score
March 23, 2010 10:44:35 AM

mousemonkeyWhat like a 5830?Do you like the idea of a 5830 then as it's kind of the same thing?

And the 5850 as well... so they are saying the only card we should buy is the 5870... haha okay.
Score
!