"no CPU installed" vocal error loop on A7N8X

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Hi Guys,
I've been having my nForce2 for some time now and everything went fine until recently when the vocal error advisor went nuts!

I'm using an XP 2100+ on the A7N8X and everything is working perfectly fine, but I keep getting the "no CPU installed" vocal error message in a permanent loop, even when W2K has finished booting and I'm using the PC. It's still going as I type this message. I really had it with this! I can't use any sound, since I need to turn off the speakers to avoid hearing this annoying looping message over and over.

How can I disable this damn vocal advisor? I already disabled everything that has to do with speech in the BIOS. Please help!

<font color=red>That was my two cents!</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Now I'm broke!</font color=blue>

"Cpu not installed" occured with a low 12 volt rail reading on my p4s533. My board had a speech reporter setting to disable the voice, but I don't remember which section it was in. If your 12v rail reading is below 11.7 during boot up, you may have to remove a jumper pin on the motherboard to shut it up, or change power supplies. You'll find the jumper in the manual. I never had a manual with my refurbished board, but was able to read the "white id" labels and found the correct jumper. One jumper may only mute the voice, while the other one permantently disables it.

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
There's an option in your bios that allows you to disable the speech error report. However, I would look further into this problem, possibly installing asus probe that came with the board, and note your voltages on your power supply. I'm using an Antec True430W power supply, it owns.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Well, if the jumper trick applies to my board, I haven't seen anything in the manual that specifies this.
I would doubt my PSU is at fault. It's an Antec TruePower 430W. According to Asus Probe, the 12v rail is quite stable at ±0,03v around the 12v mark.
I'll try to look further into that jumper thing. Thanks for your help.

Oh! By the way, I didn't hear the POST reporter tonight when I booted.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Yes. Well, PSU is not a problem (I hope). I've also got an Antec TruePower 430W. According to Asus Probe, voltages are just fine. Speech Error Report is also disabled. As a matter of fact, every options in the BIOS that have the word "speech" or a word that would suggest voice reporting have been disabled.