Does NTBACKUP (for XP) do compression?

looks like it doesn't? Is there any advantage to using this for
INCREMENTALS over, say, PKZIP?
(or maybe I could precede the PKZIP run with an NTBACKUP command that
wrote only the systemstate to a file...)

/j

"Jeff W" <msnews@kwcpa.com>
wrote in news:uJPJKt%23rEHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
> looks like it doesn't? Is there any advantage to using this for
> INCREMENTALS over, say, PKZIP?
> (or maybe I could precede the PKZIP run with an NTBACKUP command that
> wrote only the systemstate to a file...)
>
> /j

The version of Backup that is included is a crippled version of Veritas
Backup Exec Desktop (which got sold to Stomp Inc and is now called
Backup MyPC). This crippled version does not do any compression itself.
However, if you backup to tape and the tape drive itself supports
hardware compression then the backup program can turn on the hardware
compression provided by the drive. That's it. The non-crippled
versions will do compression but it doesn't seem as good as PKZIP (but
then the full backup I just did had all the program binaries whereas
data-only backups would compress much better).

With the backup program, you can configure it do to incremental backups.
PKZip doesn't know anything about the archive bit and just slaps in
whatever files you tell it to put into the compressed archive file. So
there is no comparison between incrementals for backups and using PKZip
(but is more like doing full backups of selected folders). Unless you
know what all the files are for the "System State" then it is unlikely
you will ever have a saved copy of all those files. Also, the backup
program supports shadow copying for inuse files (which would include the
registry files) whereas you'll just get messages about the file being
inuse or locked out so you won't be able to save it, anyway.

Thanks - I'm sticking to PKZIP for my incrementals, but using NTBackup
to backup JUST the system state every night.

and then with Image-for-Windows for my weekly full backups, I'm
golden... 8-}

/j