Dead Asus A7N8X Deluxe

1080jibber

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
I bought an Asus a7n8x deluxe a few weeks ago, 2 256mb sticks of corsair xms 3200, an xp2000 and a geforce 3 ti200 64mb, 80gb hardrive and a 16x dvd drive with a antec sx1035b case with an antec 350w power supply. I put the thing together and when I hit the power, I got no signal. I tried everything, different ram, different slots for the ram, jumpers etc. I tested everything and every component worked fine on another setup except the mobo. I was very careful about static discharges when I was handling hte mobo and I don't think it was static that killed it. I had done a great deal of research and chose the asus becuase of the company's good reputation. Needless to say I'm very dissapointed and I was wondering if there was significant number of people out there who had the same problem, or did i get a lemon? If anyone has info on this or has heard any rumors about asus having porduction problems with this board please let me know. I'm not sure if I should exchange this piece of junk for the same board or switch to another boardmaker or chipset, although I dread the thought of owning a via based setup!

Jsf

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've noticed a few other posts about the same thing... Why don't you RMA the board first before you switch to the dreaded VIA? Folks who run this board seem to like it very much.

It is a very new design and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some early failures. Asus in general lately has slipped a lot in terms of their past reputation for quality. They are going to lose the market if they continue to produce problem boards...plus, I hear their service stinks too!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
You may have just gotten a DOA. I have an a7n8x and it owns, simply owns. You know it's impossible to make every single product perfect, sometimes you're just unlucky and get a bad product, the same as buying something at a store. Sometimes luck just isn't in your favor. I'm sure Mercedes or BMW'S also have some lemons that come out, try again, and if it still fails then maybe it's not a dead board necessarily.

t8ar

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I got a DOA A7N8X too. I have been through the drill before, it does happen. It wouldn't even "post". Other than some lost
time and the cost of returning it, they sent me a new MB which worked from the get go. It was not without problems as I started adding components, but a revised BIOS, aw1001g.bin seems to have solved those problems (it shipped with the "orginal" version of the BIOS). I have had to updated the BIOS immmediately after receiving a MB before. Of ccourse in
order to do that it has to get through the "post" and be able
to read from a floppy.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll want to read the FAQ and make certain you didn't make any of the common mistakes, such as grounding to an extra mounting post, etc.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
Sounds a lot like my setup, i also had a "dead" board... try reseting the cmos.. if i reset the cmos, i can boot once.. i have to reset it again for the 2nd boot

strangeness.. anyone have any ideas?

~Dak~

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It might be short to ground (mobo is touching case's chassis). Have you tried to boot it outside the case?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I just set up my a7n8x and had no trouble with it at all. I am running a WD 60 gig hd with an abit gf2 video card and 2x 256m crucial ddr cl 2.5. I haven't installed the new bios yet as I want to see how everyting works for about a week or so. So far this seems to be a very stable board. My last board was an abit vl6 with a via chipset and I had nothing but problems with it.

Another Gatesware Drone. You WILL Be Assimilated.
My rig:
Asus A7N8X Delux
AMD Athlon XP1700
Abit Siluro GForce2 AGP
Sony CD Rom

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
ya might also try double checking your case power connectors that connect to the motherboard. There's several things that you could try before declaring a DOA motherboard.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
You might want to reset the cmos. When I was tweaking my
A7N8X, I found out that any ram settings that the board
couldn't handle, it wouldn't boot. No POST, no nothing.
When I reset the CMOS (unplug, pull the battery, close the
jumper, put everything back) it loaded with defaults no
problem. Of course, everything should be default on
arrival but who knows. Just a thought.

Makaveli

Splendid
Alot of people are having problems with Corsair XMS 3200 memory and Asus A7N8x from what i've read on numerous forums. Try different memory and see if that helps.

I'm using OCZ PC2700 DDR Cas 2 2-2-5-1T with copperspreads and it works great.