Chaos Empire - I killed Baal

I know this doesn't seem to be earthshattering news to some of you, but
for me, this is really an achievement. You see, I used to play TCP/IP
with a friend and he would kill all the big bosses for me and I'd still
get credit. At least I think it was TCP/IP. Maybe it was Bnut and we
just had our own room, but whatever. So, now I'm playing SP and having
to kill all my own bosses, and in CE no less. After being killed twice
by Baal, I figured out that even though I'm playing a skellymancer, I'm
better at meleeing with Baal, so I took out my Azurewrath and beat him
to death with it. I blasted him with decrepify and then beat him up
with the Azurewrath and lo and behold, the bugger died. He killed my
merc, but I wasn't upset about that. I was still left with 6 out of 9
skellies, and 2 mages out of 3, so I'm thinking I did pretty good.

So, now that I'm in NM, I'm wondering if it's time to retire my rogue
merc and try something else. I'd appreciate any suggestions for
Summoner Striker. And, what kind of gear should I be outfitting my new
merc in. I have a ton of stuff in my stash, so if I know how I should
be building the merc, I can probably find items that would fit, or at
least almost fit, your suggestions.

I'm thrilled that I was able to do this now b/c with my moving to the
West Coast, I'm gonna be offline for about a week and I didn't want to
leave Normal hanging like that. I really wanted to get Baal. I'm at
clvl56. Seems high for just getting to NM, but this is CE and it's
harder than the Blizz version for me.

Diane
9 answers Last reply
More about chaos empire killed baal

    ArtDent wrote:
    > On 8-Mar-2005, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > > After being killed twice
    > > by Baal, I figured out that even though I'm playing a skellymancer,
    I'm
    > > better at meleeing with Baal, so I took out my Azurewrath and beat
    him
    > > to death with it. I blasted him with decrepify and then beat him
    up
    > > with the Azurewrath and lo and behold, the bugger died. He killed
    my
    > > merc, but I wasn't upset about that. I was still left with 6 out
    of 9
    > > skellies, and 2 mages out of 3, so I'm thinking I did pretty good.
    >
    > Congratulations!
    >
    > > So, now that I'm in NM, I'm wondering if it's time to retire my
    rogue
    > > merc and try something else. I'd appreciate any suggestions for
    > > Summoner Striker. And, what kind of gear should I be outfitting my
    new
    > > merc in. I have a ton of stuff in my stash, so if I know how I
    should
    > > be building the merc, I can probably find items that would fit, or
    at
    > > least almost fit, your suggestions.
    >
    > Most skellimancers agree that the best merc for us is the act 2
    offensive
    > merc from NM, so keep your rogue until you get to act 2.

    For a pure skellimancer, I'd agree. For a meatgrinder, a barb merc is
    far better. He runs ahead of you instead of trailing behind you, which
    in conjunction with a nice fire golem means that nothing much sees you.
    He can also attain a much faster attack speed, which means he can drop
    that ever precious first corpse, thereby enabling the CE chain to
    begin.

    Mickey

    On 8-Mar-2005, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> wrote:

    > After being killed twice
    > by Baal, I figured out that even though I'm playing a skellymancer, I'm
    > better at meleeing with Baal, so I took out my Azurewrath and beat him
    > to death with it. I blasted him with decrepify and then beat him up
    > with the Azurewrath and lo and behold, the bugger died. He killed my
    > merc, but I wasn't upset about that. I was still left with 6 out of 9
    > skellies, and 2 mages out of 3, so I'm thinking I did pretty good.

    Congratulations!

    > So, now that I'm in NM, I'm wondering if it's time to retire my rogue
    > merc and try something else. I'd appreciate any suggestions for
    > Summoner Striker. And, what kind of gear should I be outfitting my new
    > merc in. I have a ton of stuff in my stash, so if I know how I should
    > be building the merc, I can probably find items that would fit, or at
    > least almost fit, your suggestions.

    Most skellimancers agree that the best merc for us is the act 2 offensive
    merc from NM, so keep your rogue until you get to act 2.
    Most of the gear on your rogue will probably go onto any new merc, just
    try to get the best killing gear, not necessarily the best defensive but
    the gear with the most 'punch' for your buck since gold is no problem if
    he dies you just pay to have him resurrected. I have plus fire or cold or
    lightning or even poison damage on just about every item my merc is
    wearing and it helps him kill quite a bit quicker. I plan on giving him
    runeworded items to give him fire/cold/lightning auras as soon as I can
    find some nice rare (yellow) items to socket (and as soon as I get/find
    enough pskulls). Don't forget to add the one time upgrade recipes after
    creating any runeworded items, got to love the 2.5 fire/cold/lightning per
    level one for weapons.
    Have fun in CA while playing CE, hehe.
    --
    Don't Panic!

    "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote in

    > On 8-Mar-2005, Diane <kirchbabe1@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >> After being killed twice
    >> by Baal, I figured out that even though I'm playing a skellymancer,
    >> I'm better at meleeing with Baal, so I took out my Azurewrath and
    >> beat him to death with it. I blasted him with decrepify and then
    >> beat him up with the Azurewrath and lo and behold, the bugger died.
    >> He killed my merc, but I wasn't upset about that. I was still left
    >> with 6 out of 9 skellies, and 2 mages out of 3, so I'm thinking I did
    >> pretty good.
    >
    > Congratulations!
    >
    >> So, now that I'm in NM, I'm wondering if it's time to retire my rogue
    >> merc and try something else. I'd appreciate any suggestions for
    >> Summoner Striker. And, what kind of gear should I be outfitting my
    >> new merc in. I have a ton of stuff in my stash, so if I know how I
    >> should be building the merc, I can probably find items that would
    >> fit, or at least almost fit, your suggestions.
    >
    > Most skellimancers agree that the best merc for us is the act 2
    > offensive merc from NM, so keep your rogue until you get to act 2.
    > Most of the gear on your rogue will probably go onto any new merc,
    > just try to get the best killing gear, not necessarily the best
    > defensive but the gear with the most 'punch' for your buck since gold
    > is no problem if he dies you just pay to have him resurrected. I have
    > plus fire or cold or lightning or even poison damage on just about
    > every item my merc is wearing and it helps him kill quite a bit
    > quicker. I plan on giving him runeworded items to give him
    > fire/cold/lightning auras as soon as I can find some nice rare
    > (yellow) items to socket (and as soon as I get/find enough pskulls).
    > Don't forget to add the one time upgrade recipes after creating any
    > runeworded items, got to love the 2.5 fire/cold/lightning per level
    > one for weapons. Have fun in CA while playing CE, hehe.

    Thanks for all the advice Art. I'll wait for Act 2. When I get there,
    I'll probably ask this question again. You know, the memory thing?
    ROFLOL. I have today to play inbetween packing, and tomorrow the
    computer goes offline to be packed and shipped out on Thursday.
    Hopefully it will arrive safe and sound in CA by Wed of next week, per 3
    day shipping, and I'll be back on line by the end of the week. Cripes,
    this thing is like my oxygen. Can't breathe without it!!!

    Diane

    On 8-Mar-2005, "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

    > > Most skellimancers agree that the best merc for us is the act 2
    > offensive
    > > merc from NM, so keep your rogue until you get to act 2.
    >
    > For a pure skellimancer, I'd agree. For a meatgrinder, a barb merc is
    > far better. He runs ahead of you instead of trailing behind you, which
    > in conjunction with a nice fire golem means that nothing much sees you.
    > He can also attain a much faster attack speed, which means he can drop
    > that ever precious first corpse, thereby enabling the CE chain to
    > begin.

    Ya know, I was considering starting a new thread labeled:
    CEmod CE conundrum

    You see, I want those dead bodies lying around, got to 'hork' them for
    those eggs, but sometimes I do have to use Corpse Explosion just to keep
    my guys from dying too quick when there are a gazillion monsters all
    attacking at once. I am going back to Confuse most times, it just takes
    longer to kill 'em all that way. ( I used to use confuse a _lot_ until
    someone explained that monsters that kill other monsters do not give you
    the exp.)
    --
    Don't Panic!

    "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > For a pure skellimancer, I'd agree. For a meatgrinder, a barb merc is
    > far better. He runs ahead of you instead of trailing behind you, which
    > in conjunction with a nice fire golem means that nothing much sees you.
    > He can also attain a much faster attack speed,

    How do you figure that? A Barb merc with a Flamberge [-10] swings at 15
    frames base, a Giant sword [0] is 16 frames base, and a Great [10] or
    Bastard [10] sword is 18 frames. Versuses a Desert merc with a Scythe [-10]
    at 7.5 frames, a Volgue [0] or Halberd [0] at 8 frames, or a Bardiche [10]
    or Poleax [10] at 9 frames. The numbers seem to indicate that the desert
    merc swings twice as fast as the Barb. Do you have some other information?

    Regards-
    Mark

    Bongo-Fury

    Mark wrote:
    > "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > For a pure skellimancer, I'd agree. For a meatgrinder, a barb merc
    is
    > > far better. He runs ahead of you instead of trailing behind you,
    which
    > > in conjunction with a nice fire golem means that nothing much sees
    you.
    > > He can also attain a much faster attack speed,
    >
    > How do you figure that? A Barb merc with a Flamberge [-10] swings at
    15
    > frames base, a Giant sword [0] is 16 frames base, and a Great [10] or

    > Bastard [10] sword is 18 frames. Versuses a Desert merc with a Scythe
    [-10]
    > at 7.5 frames, a Volgue [0] or Halberd [0] at 8 frames, or a Bardiche
    [10]
    > or Poleax [10] at 9 frames. The numbers seem to indicate that the
    desert
    > merc swings twice as fast as the Barb. Do you have some other
    information?

    My barb uses either an Azurewrath or a Lightsaber, until such time as I
    get Sazabi's set on him. Once he is wearing that, the only thing he
    does faster than swing is run. There is virtually no way I can avoid
    being behind him, which is EXACTLY where I want to be.

    Mickey

    Mark wrote:
    > "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > My barb uses either an Azurewrath or a Lightsaber, until such time
    as I
    > > get Sazabi's set on him. Once he is wearing that, the only thing he
    > > does faster than swing is run. There is virtually no way I can
    avoid
    > > being behind him, which is EXACTLY where I want to be.
    >
    > A Phase Blade [-30] swings at 11 frames base. The LS has 20 IAS and
    swings
    > at 10 frames, the Azurewrath has 30 IAS and does 9 frames. The
    Cryptic sword
    > [-10] swings at 13 frames base, so the 40 IAS on Sazabi's bumps this
    up to
    > 10 frames. None of these weapons swing faster than any polearm in the
    hands
    > of a desert merc, without any added IAS. So I still don't understand
    how "He
    > can also attain a much faster attack speed".

    Damn if I know how it works out in the numbers, but just WATCH a
    Sazabi's barb merc and see just how fast he swings. In any case and
    more to the point, by the time an act2 merc finally walks his fat ass
    over to where the action is, the barb will have killed 3 or 4 baddies.
    He can out run the wind in that set.

    Mickey

    "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> My barb uses either an Azurewrath or a Lightsaber, until such time as I
    >> get Sazabi's set on him. Once he is wearing that, the only thing he
    >> does faster than swing is run. There is virtually no way I can avoid
    >> being behind him, which is EXACTLY where I want to be.
    >
    > A Phase Blade [-30] swings at 11 frames base. The LS has 20 IAS and swings
    > at 10 frames, the Azurewrath has 30 IAS and does 9 frames. The Cryptic
    > sword [-10] swings at 13 frames base, so the 40 IAS on Sazabi's bumps this
    > up to 10 frames. None of these weapons swing faster than any polearm in
    > the hands of a desert merc, without any added IAS. So I still don't
    > understand how "He can also attain a much faster attack speed".

    Sorry, I screwed that up. The above numbers are for a Paladin. For a Barb
    merc the Phase blade is 13 frames base, and 11 frames for 20 or 30 IAS. the
    Cryptic Sword is 15 frames base and 12 frames for 40 IAS. Even slower than a
    Desert Merc.

    Regards-
    Mark

    Bongo-Fury