shareing my broad band connection

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I am wanting to share my broad band connection (for a cost) how do I go
about it

I have a spare linksys wap11 but can only get 30 feet away before losing it
how can I boost the range (not directional)

Thanks

---

"neil" <feeed@home.co.uk> wrote in

> I am wanting to share my broad band connection (for a cost) how do I
> go about it

First, make sure your ISP agreement allows it. Secondly... how many people
do you want to share it with?

> I have a spare linksys wap11 but can only get 30 feet away before
> losing it how can I boost the range (not directional)

If you only have a linksys router, I don't think you're quite ready to
become a WISP.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The linksys wap11 is spare if this is no good what do I need ?
I'm just upgrading to a new ISP can you recommend one that does allow
sharing ?

Neil

"neil" <feeed@home.co.uk> wrote in news:cg032g$93l$1
@sparta.btinternet.com:

> The linksys wap11 is spare if this is no good what do I need ?
> I'm just upgrading to a new ISP can you recommend one that does allow
> sharing ?

Most residential ISPs do not allow sharing. I'm in Canada so I'm not
familiar with your ISPs in the UK. I can't help you select an ISP.

Anyhow, the WAP11 will work, but the range will be VERY limited (it
might not even make it past your house). You'll need an antenna at the
least - probably an omnidirectional one to support users from all
directions. You'll probably need an amplifier to boost your signal range
as well.

Check this site for some ideas on what equipment you'll need:

http://www.rflinx.com/

Since the WAP11 doesn't support user authentication out of the box,
you'll need to install some sort of log on mechanism, maybe with Radius.
You'll also need a method to allow a user to login, maybe with a
registration portal.

It's a lot of work setting up a WISP. Unless you have deep pockets, it's
probably not worth your effort.

You're probably better of sharing the connection with a few friends
rather than an entire community.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)