is there a blank floppy disc to hold 4.5 gb??

Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont have
a DVD writer!

Many thanks for any advice.
7 answers Last reply
More about blank floppy disc hold
  1. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Q. "Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?"

    A. No. Consider investing in a DVD-R drive or an external USB drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Andy" wrote:

    | Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
    | so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont have
    | a DVD writer!
    |
    | Many thanks for any advice.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Andy wrote:
    > Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
    > so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont have
    > a DVD writer!
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice.

    No, there is no floppy disk available with that capacity.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

  3. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    One floppy disk won't cut it, but if you get a whole bunch and some duct
    tape...

    "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
    > so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont
    > have a DVD writer!
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    No, but a DVD±R±RW drives are now one step or two out of
    being cutting edge and so you can buy one for less than $50
    US and DVD-R are less than a dollar. Floppies needed to
    equal 1 CD-R are about 450 pieces and to equal one DVD-R
    require over 3,000. So even if you don't mind the cost of
    buying a huge number of floppies, think of the time it takes
    to write each disk and the carpal tunnel injury you'd have
    after the repetitive stress of all that work.
    You can also get an external hard drive. You can buy a
    flash card reader and but an 8 GB CF card, but that is still
    very expensive.

    "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    | Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least
    4.5 gb?, and if
    | so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold
    4.7 but i dont have
    | a DVD writer!
    |
    | Many thanks for any advice.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Tom Porterfield wrote:
    > Andy wrote:
    >> Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?,
    >> and if so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7
    >> but i dont have a DVD writer!
    >>
    >> Many thanks for any advice.
    >
    > No, there is no floppy disk available with that capacity.

    If there were such a floppy... it would most likely cost more than a DVD
    writer.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I use:
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=ba88f6d7cf664718376049b291346068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Products/External%20Hard%20Drives/Personal%20Storage%203000%20Family/Personal%20Storage%203000LS
    in order to have a backup of my files.

    Works perfect
    kmex

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > No, but a DVD±R±RW drives are now one step or two out of
    > being cutting edge and so you can buy one for less than $50
    > US and DVD-R are less than a dollar. Floppies needed to
    > equal 1 CD-R are about 450 pieces and to equal one DVD-R
    > require over 3,000. So even if you don't mind the cost of
    > buying a huge number of floppies, think of the time it takes
    > to write each disk and the carpal tunnel injury you'd have
    > after the repetitive stress of all that work.
    > You can also get an external hard drive. You can buy a
    > flash card reader and but an 8 GB CF card, but that is still
    > very expensive.

    > "Andy" <andy@east08575.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > | Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least
    > 4.5 gb?, and if
    > | so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold
    > 4.7 but i dont have
    > | a DVD writer!
    > |
    > | Many thanks for any advice.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Andy wrote:
    > Is there such a thing as a floppy disc that holds at least 4.5 gb?, and if
    > so, any ideas where i can get them?. I know DVD's hold 4.7 but i dont have
    > a DVD writer!
    >
    > Many thanks for any advice.

    You could use WinZip (don't forget to pay the licence fee if you keep
    using it) to zip everything up and then span the archive across
    something like 3,000 floppies.

    Might be cheaper to purchase a new hard drive or DVD RW though

Floppy Disk Microsoft Windows XP