X3 and Steam

number 13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Steam is running a special for X2 and 3 for 25.00USD, I am assuming the games are downloads, I have played the X3 demo a few times and think I want to get it, are there any issues with Steam that I should be aware of, what about the game, any feed back, any help would be nice thanks

SeafoodPho

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
downloading from steam depends on your internet connection so if you want to play it right it away, hopefully you have DSL or cable internet.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is that what Steam is charging for it? Because you can buy the 2.0 version on DVD from Amazon for $9.99. And it comes with a box and everything.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
X3 is frankly brilliant. I've played it for well longer than i care to even think about! It's very hard to get into but, once you're in, there's no escaping!

It's also one of the most beautiful games ever.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

I really ought to give X3 another chance. I played X2 and got right into it, but I just couldn’t get on X3 the interface and control layout was the biggest issue, and I trying to learn X3 was even worse then X2 I felt like a newbie all over again even though I had mastered X2.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Somebody turned me on to a site called gogamer.com and they're selling X3 right now for $4.90 (boxed version).

I grabbed it immediately.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
Steam is my favorite DD provider, with obvious advantages like automatic patching, no disk required in the drive, and easy transfer of your steam gaming portfolio to multiple systems (if activation policies allow for it *puke*).

Sometimes they do have good deals but this is mostly for new(er) games and combination offerings. As a DD provider Stean does nothave stock issues (like some of the retailers (on- and offline) have when they want to clear their stocks) so finding extreme deals like the $4.90 mentioned in this topic is very very rare.

If the advantages I listed above are appealing to you then these might warrant spending a couple of more $ for the game but make sure there is no activation policy associated with the game (as far as I know there is no activation policy coming with X3).

I seriously wonder why Steam (Valve) accepts publishers to extend their activation policies through Steam because it seriously affects the Steam experience in a negative way. As far as I know BioShock is the only game wiht an activation policy attached to it currently available on Steam but I did not do a large study on the subject, so if anyone knows others, please let me know. I try to stay away from activation as much as possible and will only purchase games with it, when I can foresee it will not be an issue with me (not too much replay value, fitting in with my estimated upgrade planning).

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
I think X3 has a Stardock-type activation system. If I remember correctly (I probably don't), you needed an activated profile on their forums to download the additional content.

And for X3, the additional content is worth it.