Which 360 to buy

jsand2

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I browsed forums looking for this answer but couldn't find anything of relevance. I currently own a ps3 which I love, but want a 360 for the games that I cant get on the ps3. I am currently looking at the differences between them, and of course the elite looks best, but is that much hard drive space needed? I have a 40g drive on the ps3 and feel that it would take forever to fill it up. I also read a post somewhere that they will be releasing a Bluray 360 at the end of the summer. I thought about waiting, but already have a bluray player so not sure if it would be cost efficient. So was just looking for suggestions about which HD mainly to go with. I know for a fact the arcade is out of the question. Will most likely end up going with the elite, but didn't know if it was worth it. I also noticed that the halo 3 edition comes with wifi and bluetooth. At least that is what the sites are saying. So I would wonder if that would prevail over the extra HD space.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

The elite is the best imo. The halo edition does not come with wifi or bluetooth. You only have around 12 gigs of space to use on the 20gb 360s because of the OS and way the drive is partitioned, so I would go for the Elite so that you get the 120gb drive and HDMI out of the box. I am actually getting an Elite this summer. I currently have one of the original 20gb versions.

I have the 40gb version of the ps3. I have 5 games: CoD 4, Resistance, GTA 4, Warhawk and GT5 Prologue. I have 2 game trailers downloaded and that is it on my hard drive. I only have 19gb left...so I wouldn't imagine it will take to much longer to fill it up. I will be putting my own 120gb in it this summer im sure. Hope this helps.

Best,

3Ball

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
My experience with the Xbox360 has been overall negative, even with the very solid game selection. Their customer support team is downright terrible and even simple tasks like removing credit cards from your account require a 30 minute phone call and up to 30 days of processing to remove said card from the account. Also, the Xbox360 doesn't support Bluetooth at all, but uses some sort of proprietary 2.4GHz based wireless setup. I've been much more satisfied with my PS3, but if you really want the 360 exclusives, then you've already made your decision. If it weren't for the red ring, the 360 would be an amazing system, but it seems that even new and refurbished units often suffer from hardware failures.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I hate to always be the exact opposite of you on these threads, but for the OP record I just thought I would share that my experience on the issue. The support has been great with myself as well as all of my friends that have had the problem. We have all had our boxes returned to us within 7 - 9 days with no hassle what so ever. Only 2 of my friends have bought the newer systems thus far. One an elite and the other the halo edition and neither have ever had a problem with the red ring of death. Just thought I would let you know that, but as it seems with Heyyou and myself it is very possible to have completely different experiences.

Best,

3Ball

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
My experience with the Elite has been great so far. We were kind of filling up the 20 gig drive on the old one. When we upgraded to the Elite and got the HDMI port, it was a notable improvement.

In your situation, I probably would not wait for the Blueray version. It will probably be a while and you already have a PS3.

I will note that the regular drive for the 360 is loud. I have the HD-DVD drive and it is nearly silent which is nice for watching movies. It remains to be seen how loud or quiet the Bluray drive will be, but if it ends up being quieter, that might be a compelling reason to hold out for it. Just we don't know for sure so I probably wouldn't wait for the unknown amount of time for it to come out. Just something to consider though.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I know my case is probably unusual, and that's the worst part; I always hear those horror stories about someone's system breaking and having it take forever to get it back, and this time it was me. :( The first 9 months of owning the system were great, but the red ring of death is a real spirit breaker. Who knows though, it could just be my bad luck and maybe my PS3 will break next. :lol:

Also, the Xbox360 DVD drive is extremely loud, and if the Blu-ray version of the system is as quiet as the PS3, that alone would make it worth buying over the Elite.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Yea if the blueray version is quite like the ps3 then i will be trading in the elite that i am getting and will be getting that one. It would b worth it to me.

Best,

3Ball

TRENDING THREADS