Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/05/mass-effect-pc.html
The PC version of Mass Effect is going to include some fairly serious security measures that may prove to be more of a threat to the game's popularity than they are to piracy.

According to Derek French, Mass Effect's technical producer at BioWare, the game's security begins with the same SecuROM online activation that aggravated so many owners of BioShock for PC. The system allows the user to activate the game three times before being required to contact a customer service rep to have it reactivated.

Mass Effect's security goes one step further, however, by dialing in every five to ten days to double check that your current CD Key and computer info matches the data that was submitted when you first activated the game.

Does that mean you won't be able to play your perfectly legitimate copy of the game if you fire it up on day 11, only to find that your 'net connection is down? According to a post from French, yes, actually, it does
I know we've all got different stances on piracy, so I'd like to know what you guys think about this. Is this overkill? Has piracy become the white whale for BioWare? Futhermore, how many of you would be purchasing Mass Effect with this knowledge? Also, honestly, how many of you would pirate it because of this security, and how many of you would have just pirated it anyway?

I personally would have done my usual "try it, then buy it" method that some of you have come to detest, but at this point I don't think I'd even pirate this game with the way they plan on treating their customers, because I obviously wouldn't ever intend on being one :/

Futher discussion/new thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/99532-13-trouble-brewing-electronic-arts#t598851

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
not even a good game, not even worth pirating

even though it will be cracked the day of the release or a day after, it is not even worth it

the console version kinda sucked and when a console game gets ported to the PC, it gets a thousand times worst

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I didnt get the game on my 360 because I wanted to see it in all of its glory at better frames on my PC, but now I may just borrow my friends copy for the 360 who has already beatin it several times. I will not support companies products that do things like this. I understand that piracy is an issue, but this is alil to much for me. I dont intent for other people so share my opinion and not buy it, because it really is a good game from what I have seen and deserves to be bought, but I just wont be getting it now because of this.

Best,

3Ball

FaceLifter

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I was very happy when I heard this. If this goes well, it could be the best thing to happen to PC gaming in along time. Get used to it, or buy a console.

Oh, I do have one question though; how do you see this effecting your experience playing Mass Effect or Spore?

FaceLifter

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I understand that piracy is an issue, but this is alil to much for me. I dont intent for other people so share my opinion and not buy it, because it really is a good game from what I have seen and deserves to be bought, but I just wont be getting it now because of this.

What? Were you planning on stealing this game? What's your problem with this, I'm really more curious then anything as to why a PC gamer who claims that they waited, as I did, to play this game on their PC. Why this would now change your mind.

I'm sorry for asking if you are planning on stealing...that is if you don't pirate PC games. :)

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

I think a lot of people would find this new security measure to be insulting and intrusive, almost as if you walked into a store, bought a monitor, checked out at the exit (to make sure it wasn't stolen), and then one of the employees from the store stops by your house every 10 days to make sure the monitor still isn't stolen. Some people can be put off enough by the way a company does business that regardless of how good their product might be, they don't want anything to do with them anymore.

mi1ez

Splendid
My D-Link router has horrendous reliability, a lot of the time I can't be bothered to reset it.

I will admit that I wasn't really planning on buying it (or pirating it I hasten to add!), but this sort of measure really gets on my nerves!

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
I hate processes that start up that are not needed/wanted. This sounds like it's going to be yet another one. ok so it might not be a resource hog and stay running all the time but still...
It's like buying a house and the previous owner coming round and using your phone once a week.
From time to time i install old games on a recent machine or one of the older ones that i have, like to do fresh installs of OF a couple of times a year. How annoying is that 3 times and you need to contact them going to get.
I wasn't going to get this game but i'd not be in a rush to buy any game that uses this meausure of security.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At least bioshock developers have said that the final game patch will disable the protection that everybody gave off about... but then it could be 2010 by then who would be playing it lol

XD-1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I'm starting to question their real motivations here.

According to the Bioware forums, the securom code is all within the MassEffect.exe, how would circumventing the internet authorization check in the program be any more difficult (for the purpose of helping curb piracy) than that of circumventing a cd check?

It almost seems the true advantage of this protection system is to exercise greater control over the legitimate copies, especially via the limited activations (3). This could help close the door on casual borrowing, or buying/selling the game used, etc.

Hopefully this isn't the case, if there really is some advantage to this system that promotes a healthier market for PC gaming by reducing piracy, the vast majority of gamers (I'd think) would be willing to overlook the annoyances/burdens. I still haven't canceled my preorder.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Won't buy due to security (possibly wouldn't by anyhow, not sure I'm interested in the game itself. Also didn't buy Bioshock for the same reason. So far as I'm concerned, when I buy a game IT IS MINE. I should be able to keep the disk for 20 years, when the company who made the game is long-gone, have a nostalgia fit, and install it on any machine I bloody well like. I should be able to install it and uninstall it at-will, without anyone's permission to do so.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i wont buy this game strangley i was looking forward to it, but i dont want to my computer to send out information about its self to another server, and a almost weekly basis.

if its going to send out hardware stuff that means it will probably transmit mac address and i.p's, and the hardware im using, do you have any idea how easy it is for someone to get that information if its being sent out every 11 days?! and how much damage they could do.

tbh there retards, at best ill pirate this game now, but then i be bambarded because im adding to the problem, so ill not pirate the game, no matter how much i feel like sticking it to them... i might just buy it and crack it myself, but then there sales will go up and there heads will say that they made a good game and that people dont mind DRM....

if the company goes down the pan because of this then we will be told its because of pirates...

we cant win either way, its the companys fault if it goes down hill especially when using such measures described above.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I understand how many of you feel...that it infringes on the customers privacy and these measures may be going "too far".

What I disagree with is the analogies given above. How can you compare videogames to monitors? Are monitors being pirated? Store clerks don't go to your home simply because they don't need to. People don't buy monitors to replicate it and redistribute world wide for free. Intelectual property on software is simply a different story.

I think the subject is ironic. The same people who complain about DRM and other security measures are the same who pirated older titles. If it wasn't for those "id10ts", there wouldn't be DRM in the first place. I know some people take pride in pirating games but thanks to those "id10ts", companies have to take serious measures to protect their investments. And you blame them?

If you're so irritated about security measures then perhaps you can post potential solutions instead of turning around and go download illegal torrents...because that is not the solution.

So, what would YOU recommend publishers implement to stop e-piracy?

Jaevric

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Is this overkill? Probably.

Will I buy the game anyway? Yeah, I love CRPGs and I heard this was a good one. Honestly, stuff like this doesn't bother me -- but I'm one of those people who didn't mind CD/DVD checks either, I have all my normal games conveniently located next to my computer so I just reach out and grab the one I want to play.

Frankly, I know too many people who do a lot of computer pirating to complain about attempts to make their lives more difficult, though like everyone else I'd prefer methods that actually work.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
how about this,

you know every bought copy of a game is recorded through the barcode, why not put the cd-key info on the barcode, so when a game is scanned in the barcode gets sent to a master server which then activates that key. ok stay with me when you come to install the game it contacts the master server to see if the key has been activated, if yes the game installs, if no the game does not install. - one check everytime you reinstall the game, and before a online multiplayer match.

ok this doesnt stop you from making a copy of the disk and using the same cd-key, but then you just need to run a check to make sure the cd-key isnt being used more than say 4 times, if it is then de-activate the cd-key on the server. Stopping the person playing online, or installing the game. you could extend it to stop it playing singleplayer.

p.s

would stop a cd-key generator because the key would not work unless it generated an already bought key.
however i believe it would still be hacked, but this is as simple as protection needs to be.

Luke69

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
If you're so irritated about security measures then perhaps you can post potential solutions instead of turning around and go download illegal torrents...because that is not the solution.

So, what would YOU recommend publishers implement to stop e-piracy?

TBH this is most certainly not the solution as they have cost my sale will now borrow my friends 360 version (Which has been available to me for months but I decided to wait and preorder for PC grrr). I dont have constant internet on my Gaming PC so will never purchase anything that dials out as a requirement.

But surely these "analysts" etc can see that anything ever released (thats good anyway) has a torrent with a text file that reads:

1. unzip a
2. Install
3. run b.exe and xyz.reg and Enjoy

Even when loaded with DRM it has been made 123 easy! So why bother loading it with even more and more when it will be as easy as 123 for the casual user within a week or so of release.

Does DRM actually stop pirates? It only takes 1 genious to hack it and make it accessible to all.

Just because I dont have an alternative solution to offer the industry doesnt mean they should carry on with something that is clearly not working.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I already have the game on the 360 but if I was waiting for the pc version this would really make me reconsider if I wanted the game or not. I still would not pirate the game.

This type of protection only annoys the honest customers who actually buy the game, it will not stop pirates from getting it, and it may drive away paying customers.

I don't mind typing in the cd key when I install a game, or having to put the disk in the computer to run the game, I can put up with registering a game the first time I install it (even though it is a pain in the butt) I just do not like having to sign in every time I want to play my game, Its not so bad if I'm play online or somthing but to require that I sign in on line even for single player games is stupid. Bioware has taken this whole thing too far and it will only hurt paying customers.

In my opinion

jmods

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
how about this,

you know every bought copy of a game is recorded through the barcode, why not put the cd-key info on the barcode, so when a game is scanned in the barcode gets sent to a master server which then activates that key. ok stay with me when you come to install the game it contacts the master server to see if the key has been activated, if yes the game installs, if no the game does not install. - one check everytime you reinstall the game, and before a online multiplayer match.

This is similar in the way they make pre-paid cell phone cards, and I think this would be a more than acceptable way of protecting from piracy.

On the game itself I have it for 360 and LOVE it great story and enjoyable exploration with tons of detail and side story. Personally I was considering buying it again for the PC for the higher quality Frames and the added content plus the mod opprotunities are endless. This security messure may make me pass but I doubt it I am one of those people who pays for all my games and media(now lol used to use limewire/bearshare for music in high school but now that I have a good job and cash I pay) none the less I think this security is a bit redonkulous but what can you do if you like a game enough you will buy if not, oh well not really that big a deal is it.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I personally would have done my usual "try it, then buy it" method that some of you have come to detest...

Just curious, but do you also open a box of cookies in the grocery store but only pay for them if a.) you like them and b.) you haven't already finished the box before you reach the checkout?

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I confess I used to pirate the occasional video game back in my high school days. I'll give you a more significant example though - I was a MASS piraateer of anime back in the pre-digital days. Did a lot of heavy trading of videotapes by mail. Now that I'm out of college and most of my income is disposable, I own a HUGE collection of legit releases. We're talking 1,200+ laserdiscs and quite a few DVDs. Have I replaced most of my old pirated titles? If I liked them, you bet.

I'm a collector. I don't JUST want the show itself. I want that, and the proper jacket, and as many extras as I can lay hands on. This goes for video games as well - I want the real manual, and the box, and the labelled disc itself. Look at the old Infocom games, or the Ultima series - they usually came with various bits of swag and goodies. Heck, in the case of Infocom some of the "extras" turned out to be crucial to solving puzzles in the game itself.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do we only buy cookies that we like? Is that seriously what you're asking?

Yes, I only buy cookies that I like. Do you just randomly pitch cookies into your cart, cross your fingers, and pray?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hey Luke, I see what you mean...you basically summarized the whole problem in a nutshell. By saying that DRM is not working...well I'd also have to agree with you.

But here's my opinion, DRM works better than No DRM. Just like you guys, I don't agree with DRM and I also realize that it seems to punish the people who actually buy the game...but it also makes it a "little" harder for casual gamers to play them.

For instance, a friend of mine called me this week and told me he had just finished downloading the COD4 torrent. Obviously he was all excited but he had no idea how to actually make it work. After telling him how much of an idiot he was, I told him there was a install.txt file probably in there but not to call me for any such support. He called me again yesterday to tell me that he loved the single player campaign but couldn't play online. I'm making 3 points here.

1- My friends an idiot for downloading the game where you can only play the SP campaign(as online is as fun if not better), it took him 4 weeks as oppose to 20 minutes to go to the store and comeback. What a guy.

2- DRM doesn't work, it's too easy to pirate apparently.

3- Login on a server to be able to play the game works better.

TRENDING THREADS