is AVG a good virus scanner for XP Home?

October 13, 2004 8:04:40 PM

I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.

I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
/j
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 8:45:08 PM

"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
wrote in news:uMlUH$VsEHA.1336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
> I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
> Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are
> gone, and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
>
> I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
> have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
> /j

You could visit http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xm...
to draw your own conclusions regarding the historical effectives of AVG
and other anti-virus products. To figure out the failure rate for each
product, use failed/(passed+failed). AVG got an 80% failure rate.
McAfee failed 52% of the tests. Norton failed 19% of the tests. And
Kaspersky failed. But you need to check how many of the failures are
old and how many are new (the older the failure the less it relates to
the current quality of the product), plus you might want to exclude
tests that failed on a platform other than yours. eTrust had 28%
failures; you can get a 1-year free copy at
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ (includes anti-virus and firewall; I
have no experience with eTrust products).

October 14, 2004 12:21:23 AM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:04:40 -0400, Jeff W <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote:

>I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
>Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
>and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
>
>I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
>have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
>/j
I've been using it for about a year with VG results.
Related resources
October 14, 2004 12:24:45 AM

I've used AVG for 5 years and have never had a problem.

"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
> I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
> Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
> and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
>
> I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
> have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
> /j
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:39:03 AM

Best thing is try it! It's free
I have used it since dumping Norton and have no problems with it.
Updates well and fairly frequently
Use this link
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/v5
They have a new free version in beta if you want to give it a go

"Jeff W" wrote:

> I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
> Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
> and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
>
> I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
> have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
> /j

October 14, 2004 3:19:47 PM

AVG is passable but not as great. I've recently serviced several machines
with infections that either AVG missed or identified but couldn't remove.
It hasn't stood up all that well in comparative testing. I second the other
mention re. ETrust. The free release is a great deal.

--

"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
>I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
> Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
> and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
>
> I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
> have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
> /j
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 6:59:03 AM

EZtrust is free? I didn't know that. Where can you get the free version?

"GTS" wrote:

> AVG is passable but not as great. I've recently serviced several machines
> with infections that either AVG missed or identified but couldn't remove.
> It hasn't stood up all that well in comparative testing. I second the other
> mention re. ETrust. The free release is a great deal.
>
> --
>
> "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
> >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
> > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
> > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
> >
> > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
> > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
> > /j

October 15, 2004 3:03:47 PM

It's normally sold at $29.95. Microsoft and Computer Associates made some
kind of deal and a free version including 1 year subscription is available
at http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ That will probably not be
available indefinitely.
The package is EZ Armor which includes a branded version of Zone Alarm.
When you run the actual install, you can optionally install both or just the
AV.
--

"TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> EZtrust is free? I didn't know that. Where can you get the free version?
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> AVG is passable but not as great. I've recently serviced several
>> machines
>> with infections that either AVG missed or identified but couldn't remove.
>> It hasn't stood up all that well in comparative testing. I second the
>> other
>> mention re. ETrust. The free release is a great deal.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
>> >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
>> > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are
>> > gone,
>> > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
>> >
>> > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
>> > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
>> > /j

October 15, 2004 3:08:56 PM

Addemdum - Free software offer expires 2/1/05.
--

"TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> EZtrust is free? I didn't know that. Where can you get the free version?
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> AVG is passable but not as great. I've recently serviced several
>> machines
>> with infections that either AVG missed or identified but couldn't remove.
>> It hasn't stood up all that well in comparative testing. I second the
>> other
>> mention re. ETrust. The free release is a great deal.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
>> >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
>> > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are
>> > gone,
>> > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
>> >
>> > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
>> > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
>> > /j

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 3:15:42 PM

so will i have to start paying for updates?

might be good to try for a while though -t hanks!
/j

GTS wrote:

>It's normally sold at $29.95. Microsoft and Computer Associates made some
>kind of deal and a free version including 1 year subscription is available
>at http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ That will probably not be
>available indefinitely.
>The package is EZ Armor which includes a branded version of Zone Alarm.
>When you run the actual install, you can optionally install both or just the
>AV.

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 8:57:56 PM

"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
wrote in news:el7r9mssEHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
> so will i have to start paying for updates?
>
> might be good to try for a while though -t hanks!
> /j
>
> GTS wrote:
>
>> It's normally sold at $29.95. Microsoft and Computer Associates
>> made some kind of deal and a free version including 1 year
>> subscription is available at http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
>> That will probably not be available indefinitely.
>> The package is EZ Armor which includes a branded version of Zone
>> Alarm. When you run the actual install, you can optionally install
>> both or just the AV.

As said, it is a 1-year free subscription. You get to use it for a
year. After that, you will have to *buy* another subscription. I
believe that the free offer will be discontinued around February 2005
(don't remember where I read that). The subscription will continue to
whenever it expires after a year of you installing it, but you won't be
able to download the no-cost copy of it after that.

Rather than use the branded version of ZoneAlarm included in EzArmor
(firewall + anti-virus), you can just install the anti-virus portion of
it. You can also download EzAntiVirus and EzFirewall to get just the
component you want. I would suggest just using their anti-virus product
(it used to be their InoculateIT anti-virus product). For the firewall,
just go to ZoneLabs to download the 5.1 version (which fixes problems
they had for version 5.0) since the branded version included in EzArmor
or EzFirewall might be an older version. Or go use Sygate's free
personal firewall (smb.sygate.com). While Sygate has some nice security
features more than ZoneAlarm, there are some behaviors of Sygate that I
don't like (I'm also "Vanguard" under the Sygate forums at
http://forums.sygate.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid...) and might end
up going with ZoneAlarm.

October 15, 2004 11:00:44 PM

Argh - AVG doesn't support Mozilla

Etrust it is -
/j

Jeff W wrote:

>I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
>Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
>and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
>
>I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
>have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
>/j

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 2:51:49 PM

Yes - I agree - I tried installing the suite and the Firewall
installation (which I don't want and couldn't disable) went nutso so I
Killed it and went back to their site and found a download of
EZAntiVirus alone, and the key they gave me worked.

However - I benchmarked it against Mcafee and Norton. I REALLY wanted
to like EZAV. The interface was VERY nice, and it ran REALLY FAST.
However, I was disappoint to find that both Mcafee and Norton found a
number of trojans that EZAV didn't catch. M & N also provided worm
protection which I couldn't test but I don't think EZAV covers. Mcafee
also found a recent trojan that Norton missed, BTW.

(Here's what I did - a full backup of my kids machine, protected only by
an old copy of mcafee and I just discovered he wasn't updating, had a
number of viruses, trojans, adware, etc in it - I ran all 3 scanners on
the ZIP file of the backup - Mcafee found the most, Norton almost as
good, but EZAV didn't find anything that wasn't strictly a virus).

Bummer - it's a great program to use
/j

Vanguardx wrote:

>"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
>wrote in news:el7r9mssEHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>> so will i have to start paying for updates?
>>
>> might be good to try for a while though -t hanks!
>> /j
>>
>> GTS wrote:
>>
>>> It's normally sold at $29.95. Microsoft and Computer Associates
>>> made some kind of deal and a free version including 1 year
>>> subscription is available at http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
>>> That will probably not be available indefinitely.
>>> The package is EZ Armor which includes a branded version of Zone
>>> Alarm. When you run the actual install, you can optionally install
>>> both or just the AV.
>
>As said, it is a 1-year free subscription. You get to use it for a
>year. After that, you will have to *buy* another subscription. I
>believe that the free offer will be discontinued around February 2005
>(don't remember where I read that). The subscription will continue to
>whenever it expires after a year of you installing it, but you won't be
>able to download the no-cost copy of it after that.
>
>Rather than use the branded version of ZoneAlarm included in EzArmor
>(firewall + anti-virus), you can just install the anti-virus portion of
>it. You can also download EzAntiVirus and EzFirewall to get just the
>component you want. I would suggest just using their anti-virus product
>(it used to be their InoculateIT anti-virus product). For the firewall,
>just go to ZoneLabs to download the 5.1 version (which fixes problems
>they had for version 5.0) since the branded version included in EzArmor
>or EzFirewall might be an older version. Or go use Sygate's free
>personal firewall (smb.sygate.com). While Sygate has some nice security
>features more than ZoneAlarm, there are some behaviors of Sygate that I
>don't like (I'm also "Vanguard" under the Sygate forums at
>http://forums.sygate.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid...) and might end
>up going with ZoneAlarm.

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 10:04:50 PM

"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
wrote in news:eClQRsetEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
> Yes - I agree - I tried installing the suite and the Firewall
> installation (which I don't want and couldn't disable) went nutso so I
> Killed it and went back to their site and found a download of
> EZAntiVirus alone, and the key they gave me worked.
>
> However - I benchmarked it against Mcafee and Norton. I REALLY wanted
> to like EZAV. The interface was VERY nice, and it ran REALLY FAST.
> However, I was disappoint to find that both Mcafee and Norton found a
> number of trojans that EZAV didn't catch. M & N also provided worm
> protection which I couldn't test but I don't think EZAV covers.
> Mcafee also found a recent trojan that Norton missed, BTW.
>
> (Here's what I did - a full backup of my kids machine, protected only
> by an old copy of mcafee and I just discovered he wasn't updating,
> had a number of viruses, trojans, adware, etc in it - I ran all 3
> scanners on the ZIP file of the backup - Mcafee found the most,
> Norton almost as good, but EZAV didn't find anything that wasn't
> strictly a virus).
>
> Bummer - it's a great program to use

That's why the products are called anti-VIRUS products. The inclusion
of malware and spyware - which are NOT viruses - is due to pressure on
the AV makers to cover more than just viruses. Some AV makers are
providing protection suites, some enhance their anti-virus products to
detect *some* non-virus threats, and some just focus on viruses.

The same misconception bleeds into the newsgroups. You have someone
complaining about the iSearch spyware toolbar in an anti-virus
newsgroup. That is spyware, NOT a virus. Kaspersky, McAfee, and Norton
all do equally well regarding Windows viruses (see
http://www.av-comparatives.org/) but Kasperksy does better than McAfee
at catching trojans which does better than Norton (yet I suspect TDS-3
beats them all in regards to detecting trojans). However, for "other OS
malware", McAfee does better than Kaspersky which does better than
Norton. So you'll need more than just an anti-virus product to detect
non-virus threats. Trojans and spyware are not viruses. Regardless of
which anti-virus software you use, you'll still need spyware and malware
scanners and probably trojan scanners, too. You could even go further
(with impact to system performance) by using PrevX, Abtrusion, or System
Safety Monitor to further lockdown the security of your system.
Firewalls and anti-virus products provide some decent periphery or
boundary protection but, as you've seen, they don't protect the system
against the user.

October 20, 2004 1:10:47 AM

Fair enough on the spyware and malware (I use Adaware 6 and am thinking
of upgrading to their newer stuff, even though i have to get the pay
version to be able to schedule it automatically). But - shouldn't an
anti-virus find trojans? Don't they really fall in the "virus' category?

/j

Vanguardx wrote:

>"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
>wrote in news:eClQRsetEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
>> Yes - I agree - I tried installing the suite and the Firewall
>> installation (which I don't want and couldn't disable) went nutso so I
>> Killed it and went back to their site and found a download of
>> EZAntiVirus alone, and the key they gave me worked.
>>
>> However - I benchmarked it against Mcafee and Norton. I REALLY wanted
>> to like EZAV. The interface was VERY nice, and it ran REALLY FAST.
>> However, I was disappoint to find that both Mcafee and Norton found a
>> number of trojans that EZAV didn't catch. M & N also provided worm
>> protection which I couldn't test but I don't think EZAV covers.
>> Mcafee also found a recent trojan that Norton missed, BTW.
>>
>> (Here's what I did - a full backup of my kids machine, protected only
>> by an old copy of mcafee and I just discovered he wasn't updating,
>> had a number of viruses, trojans, adware, etc in it - I ran all 3
>> scanners on the ZIP file of the backup - Mcafee found the most,
>> Norton almost as good, but EZAV didn't find anything that wasn't
>> strictly a virus).
>>
>> Bummer - it's a great program to use
>
>That's why the products are called anti-VIRUS products. The inclusion
>of malware and spyware - which are NOT viruses - is due to pressure on
>the AV makers to cover more than just viruses. Some AV makers are
>providing protection suites, some enhance their anti-virus products to
>detect *some* non-virus threats, and some just focus on viruses.
>
>The same misconception bleeds into the newsgroups. You have someone
>complaining about the iSearch spyware toolbar in an anti-virus
>newsgroup. That is spyware, NOT a virus. Kaspersky, McAfee, and Norton
>all do equally well regarding Windows viruses (see
>http://www.av-comparatives.org/) but Kasperksy does better than McAfee
>at catching trojans which does better than Norton (yet I suspect TDS-3
>beats them all in regards to detecting trojans). However, for "other OS
>malware", McAfee does better than Kaspersky which does better than
>Norton. So you'll need more than just an anti-virus product to detect
>non-virus threats. Trojans and spyware are not viruses. Regardless of
>which anti-virus software you use, you'll still need spyware and malware
>scanners and probably trojan scanners, too. You could even go further
>(with impact to system performance) by using PrevX, Abtrusion, or System
>Safety Monitor to further lockdown the security of your system.
>Firewalls and anti-virus products provide some decent periphery or
>boundary protection but, as you've seen, they don't protect the system
>against the user.

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 1:10:48 AM

Jeff W wrote:
> Fair enough on the spyware and malware (I use Adaware 6 and am
> thinking of upgrading to their newer stuff, even though i have to get
> the pay version to be able to schedule it automatically). But -
> shouldn't an anti-virus find trojans? Don't they really fall in the
> "virus' category?

A scheduled task and some scripting would allow you to update the AdAware
definitions automatically.

Same with Spybot Search and Destroy.

SpywareBlaster - that's trickier.

IE-SpyAd, however, is also scriptable.

And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and Worms.
AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware.
The differences are slight - but existent. All of those things are
annoying, Viruses, Trojans and Worms are usually more destructive - while
Spyware sends information about the user/computer/habits to some place,
Adware annoys you with popups - but they usually are not destructive, just
poorly implemented and end up interfering with other software.

--
<- Shenan ->
October 20, 2004 4:19:29 AM

The NEW Ad Aware Personal Edition cannot be set up to start a scan
automatically when called from the command line (as it is from the
scheduler). It does not accept the command line option that Adaware6
does to start a scan automatically when started.

check it out

Also - you say "And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and
Worms. AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware" and
I agree, but according to Etrust support, a Trojan or a Word is like
Spyware and they don't cover it. Pity they have that attitude, the
tool is very slick.

I'm going to give AVG a try when Version 7 is released at end of november
/j

Shenan Stanley wrote:

>Jeff W wrote:
>> Fair enough on the spyware and malware (I use Adaware 6 and am
>> thinking of upgrading to their newer stuff, even though i have to get
>> the pay version to be able to schedule it automatically). But -
>> shouldn't an anti-virus find trojans? Don't they really fall in the
>> "virus' category?
>
>A scheduled task and some scripting would allow you to update the AdAware
>definitions automatically.
>
>Same with Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
>SpywareBlaster - that's trickier.
>
>IE-SpyAd, however, is also scriptable.
>
>And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and Worms.
>AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware.
>The differences are slight - but existent. All of those things are
>annoying, Viruses, Trojans and Worms are usually more destructive - while
>Spyware sends information about the user/computer/habits to some place,
>Adware annoys you with popups - but they usually are not destructive, just
>poorly implemented and end up interfering with other software.

Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:19:30 AM

Jeff W wrote:
> The NEW Ad Aware Personal Edition cannot be set up to start a scan
> automatically when called from the command line (as it is from the
> scheduler). It does not accept the command line option that Adaware6
> does to start a scan automatically when started.
>
> check it out
>
> Also - you say "And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and
> Worms. AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware"
> and I agree, but according to Etrust support, a Trojan or a Word is
> like Spyware and they don't cover it. Pity they have that attitude,
> the tool is very slick.
>
> I'm going to give AVG a try when Version 7 is released at end of
> november /j

Never said you could scan with Lavasoft automatically - only update the
definitions. heh

--
<- Shenan ->
October 20, 2004 2:56:00 PM

well, you CAN with Adaware6 - and I do so every night.
you need the Plus version to do it with their new stuff.

in my universe, if I can't automate it, what use is it? 8-}

Shenan Stanley wrote:

>Jeff W wrote:
>> The NEW Ad Aware Personal Edition cannot be set up to start a scan
>> automatically when called from the command line (as it is from the
>> scheduler). It does not accept the command line option that Adaware6
>> does to start a scan automatically when started.
>>
>> check it out
>>
>> Also - you say "And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and
>> Worms. AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware"
>> and I agree, but according to Etrust support, a Trojan or a Word is
>> like Spyware and they don't cover it. Pity they have that attitude,
>> the tool is very slick.
>>
>> I'm going to give AVG a try when Version 7 is released at end of
>> november /j
>
>Never said you could scan with Lavasoft automatically - only update the
>definitions. heh

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 3:40:00 PM

I am not impressed with Etrust - their tech support is hard to get
answers out of, and when I finally pressed them, they said that Trojans
were like Adware and out of the scope of their product!
/j

!