is AVG a good virus scanner for XP Home?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.

I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
/j
19 answers Last reply
More about good virus scanner home
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
    wrote in news:uMlUH$VsEHA.1336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:
    > I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are
    > gone, and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    >
    > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    > /j

    You could visit http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xml
    to draw your own conclusions regarding the historical effectives of AVG
    and other anti-virus products. To figure out the failure rate for each
    product, use failed/(passed+failed). AVG got an 80% failure rate.
    McAfee failed 52% of the tests. Norton failed 19% of the tests. And
    Kaspersky failed. But you need to check how many of the failures are
    old and how many are new (the older the failure the less it relates to
    the current quality of the product), plus you might want to exclude
    tests that failed on a platform other than yours. eTrust had 28%
    failures; you can get a 1-year free copy at
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ (includes anti-virus and firewall; I
    have no experience with eTrust products).

    --
    _________________________________________________________________
    ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    _________________________________________________________________
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:04:40 -0400, Jeff W <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote:

    >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    >Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
    >and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    >
    >I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    >have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    >/j
    I've been using it for about a year with VG results.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I've used AVG for 5 years and have never had a problem.


    "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    news:uMlUH$VsEHA.1336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
    > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    >
    > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    > /j
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Best thing is try it! It's free
    I have used it since dumping Norton and have no problems with it.
    Updates well and fairly frequently
    Use this link
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/v5
    They have a new free version in beta if you want to give it a go


    "Jeff W" wrote:

    > I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
    > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    >
    > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    > /j
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    AVG is passable but not as great. I've recently serviced several machines
    with infections that either AVG missed or identified but couldn't remove.
    It hasn't stood up all that well in comparative testing. I second the other
    mention re. ETrust. The free release is a great deal.

    --

    "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    news:uMlUH$VsEHA.1336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
    > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    >
    > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    > /j
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    EZtrust is free? I didn't know that. Where can you get the free version?

    "GTS" wrote:

    > AVG is passable but not as great. I've recently serviced several machines
    > with infections that either AVG missed or identified but couldn't remove.
    > It hasn't stood up all that well in comparative testing. I second the other
    > mention re. ETrust. The free release is a great deal.
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    > news:uMlUH$VsEHA.1336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    > > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
    > > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    > >
    > > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    > > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    > > /j
    >
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    It's normally sold at $29.95. Microsoft and Computer Associates made some
    kind of deal and a free version including 1 year subscription is available
    at http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ That will probably not be
    available indefinitely.
    The package is EZ Armor which includes a branded version of Zone Alarm.
    When you run the actual install, you can optionally install both or just the
    AV.
    --

    "TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:20127EE5-F9A9-47A2-B700-D7F9435A3DBF@microsoft.com...
    > EZtrust is free? I didn't know that. Where can you get the free version?
    >
    > "GTS" wrote:
    >
    >> AVG is passable but not as great. I've recently serviced several
    >> machines
    >> with infections that either AVG missed or identified but couldn't remove.
    >> It hasn't stood up all that well in comparative testing. I second the
    >> other
    >> mention re. ETrust. The free release is a great deal.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    >> news:uMlUH$VsEHA.1336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    >> > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are
    >> > gone,
    >> > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    >> >
    >> > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    >> > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    >> > /j
    >>
    >>
    >>
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Addemdum - Free software offer expires 2/1/05.
    --

    "TheBFG" <TheBFG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:20127EE5-F9A9-47A2-B700-D7F9435A3DBF@microsoft.com...
    > EZtrust is free? I didn't know that. Where can you get the free version?
    >
    > "GTS" wrote:
    >
    >> AVG is passable but not as great. I've recently serviced several
    >> machines
    >> with infections that either AVG missed or identified but couldn't remove.
    >> It hasn't stood up all that well in comparative testing. I second the
    >> other
    >> mention re. ETrust. The free release is a great deal.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    >> news:uMlUH$VsEHA.1336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    >> > Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are
    >> > gone,
    >> > and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    >> >
    >> > I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    >> > have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    >> > /j
    >>
    >>
    >>
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    so will i have to start paying for updates?

    might be good to try for a while though -t hanks!
    /j

    GTS wrote:

    >It's normally sold at $29.95. Microsoft and Computer Associates made some
    >kind of deal and a free version including 1 year subscription is available
    >at http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ That will probably not be
    >available indefinitely.
    >The package is EZ Armor which includes a branded version of Zone Alarm.
    >When you run the actual install, you can optionally install both or just the
    >AV.
    >
    >
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
    wrote in news:el7r9mssEHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    > so will i have to start paying for updates?
    >
    > might be good to try for a while though -t hanks!
    > /j
    >
    > GTS wrote:
    >
    >> It's normally sold at $29.95. Microsoft and Computer Associates
    >> made some kind of deal and a free version including 1 year
    >> subscription is available at http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    >> That will probably not be available indefinitely.
    >> The package is EZ Armor which includes a branded version of Zone
    >> Alarm. When you run the actual install, you can optionally install
    >> both or just the AV.

    As said, it is a 1-year free subscription. You get to use it for a
    year. After that, you will have to *buy* another subscription. I
    believe that the free offer will be discontinued around February 2005
    (don't remember where I read that). The subscription will continue to
    whenever it expires after a year of you installing it, but you won't be
    able to download the no-cost copy of it after that.

    Rather than use the branded version of ZoneAlarm included in EzArmor
    (firewall + anti-virus), you can just install the anti-virus portion of
    it. You can also download EzAntiVirus and EzFirewall to get just the
    component you want. I would suggest just using their anti-virus product
    (it used to be their InoculateIT anti-virus product). For the firewall,
    just go to ZoneLabs to download the 5.1 version (which fixes problems
    they had for version 5.0) since the branded version included in EzArmor
    or EzFirewall might be an older version. Or go use Sygate's free
    personal firewall (smb.sygate.com). While Sygate has some nice security
    features more than ZoneAlarm, there are some behaviors of Sygate that I
    don't like (I'm also "Vanguard" under the Sygate forums at
    http://forums.sygate.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8) and might end
    up going with ZoneAlarm.

    --
    _________________________________________________________________
    ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    _________________________________________________________________
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Argh - AVG doesn't support Mozilla

    Etrust it is -
    /j

    Jeff W wrote:

    >I have to discard my old Mcafee 5 - it doesn't work with XP. I tried
    >Mcafee 8 but it's TERRIBLE, most options from the old version are gone,
    >and scheduled scans run only one way - no options at all.
    >
    >I've heard good things about AVG fro grisoft -and it's free. anyone
    >have good luck with it? anyone suggest anything else?
    >/j
    >
    >
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Yes - I agree - I tried installing the suite and the Firewall
    installation (which I don't want and couldn't disable) went nutso so I
    Killed it and went back to their site and found a download of
    EZAntiVirus alone, and the key they gave me worked.

    However - I benchmarked it against Mcafee and Norton. I REALLY wanted
    to like EZAV. The interface was VERY nice, and it ran REALLY FAST.
    However, I was disappoint to find that both Mcafee and Norton found a
    number of trojans that EZAV didn't catch. M & N also provided worm
    protection which I couldn't test but I don't think EZAV covers. Mcafee
    also found a recent trojan that Norton missed, BTW.

    (Here's what I did - a full backup of my kids machine, protected only by
    an old copy of mcafee and I just discovered he wasn't updating, had a
    number of viruses, trojans, adware, etc in it - I ran all 3 scanners on
    the ZIP file of the backup - Mcafee found the most, Norton almost as
    good, but EZAV didn't find anything that wasn't strictly a virus).

    Bummer - it's a great program to use
    /j


    Vanguardx wrote:

    >"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
    >wrote in news:el7r9mssEHA.3600@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
    >> so will i have to start paying for updates?
    >>
    >> might be good to try for a while though -t hanks!
    >> /j
    >>
    >> GTS wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's normally sold at $29.95. Microsoft and Computer Associates
    >>> made some kind of deal and a free version including 1 year
    >>> subscription is available at http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    >>> That will probably not be available indefinitely.
    >>> The package is EZ Armor which includes a branded version of Zone
    >>> Alarm. When you run the actual install, you can optionally install
    >>> both or just the AV.
    >
    >As said, it is a 1-year free subscription. You get to use it for a
    >year. After that, you will have to *buy* another subscription. I
    >believe that the free offer will be discontinued around February 2005
    >(don't remember where I read that). The subscription will continue to
    >whenever it expires after a year of you installing it, but you won't be
    >able to download the no-cost copy of it after that.
    >
    >Rather than use the branded version of ZoneAlarm included in EzArmor
    >(firewall + anti-virus), you can just install the anti-virus portion of
    >it. You can also download EzAntiVirus and EzFirewall to get just the
    >component you want. I would suggest just using their anti-virus product
    >(it used to be their InoculateIT anti-virus product). For the firewall,
    >just go to ZoneLabs to download the 5.1 version (which fixes problems
    >they had for version 5.0) since the branded version included in EzArmor
    >or EzFirewall might be an older version. Or go use Sygate's free
    >personal firewall (smb.sygate.com). While Sygate has some nice security
    >features more than ZoneAlarm, there are some behaviors of Sygate that I
    >don't like (I'm also "Vanguard" under the Sygate forums at
    >http://forums.sygate.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8) and might end
    >up going with ZoneAlarm.
    >
    >
    >
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
    wrote in news:eClQRsetEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    > Yes - I agree - I tried installing the suite and the Firewall
    > installation (which I don't want and couldn't disable) went nutso so I
    > Killed it and went back to their site and found a download of
    > EZAntiVirus alone, and the key they gave me worked.
    >
    > However - I benchmarked it against Mcafee and Norton. I REALLY wanted
    > to like EZAV. The interface was VERY nice, and it ran REALLY FAST.
    > However, I was disappoint to find that both Mcafee and Norton found a
    > number of trojans that EZAV didn't catch. M & N also provided worm
    > protection which I couldn't test but I don't think EZAV covers.
    > Mcafee also found a recent trojan that Norton missed, BTW.
    >
    > (Here's what I did - a full backup of my kids machine, protected only
    > by an old copy of mcafee and I just discovered he wasn't updating,
    > had a number of viruses, trojans, adware, etc in it - I ran all 3
    > scanners on the ZIP file of the backup - Mcafee found the most,
    > Norton almost as good, but EZAV didn't find anything that wasn't
    > strictly a virus).
    >
    > Bummer - it's a great program to use

    That's why the products are called anti-VIRUS products. The inclusion
    of malware and spyware - which are NOT viruses - is due to pressure on
    the AV makers to cover more than just viruses. Some AV makers are
    providing protection suites, some enhance their anti-virus products to
    detect *some* non-virus threats, and some just focus on viruses.

    The same misconception bleeds into the newsgroups. You have someone
    complaining about the iSearch spyware toolbar in an anti-virus
    newsgroup. That is spyware, NOT a virus. Kaspersky, McAfee, and Norton
    all do equally well regarding Windows viruses (see
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/) but Kasperksy does better than McAfee
    at catching trojans which does better than Norton (yet I suspect TDS-3
    beats them all in regards to detecting trojans). However, for "other OS
    malware", McAfee does better than Kaspersky which does better than
    Norton. So you'll need more than just an anti-virus product to detect
    non-virus threats. Trojans and spyware are not viruses. Regardless of
    which anti-virus software you use, you'll still need spyware and malware
    scanners and probably trojan scanners, too. You could even go further
    (with impact to system performance) by using PrevX, Abtrusion, or System
    Safety Monitor to further lockdown the security of your system.
    Firewalls and anti-virus products provide some decent periphery or
    boundary protection but, as you've seen, they don't protect the system
    against the user.

    --
    _________________________________________________________________
    ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
    _________________________________________________________________
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Fair enough on the spyware and malware (I use Adaware 6 and am thinking
    of upgrading to their newer stuff, even though i have to get the pay
    version to be able to schedule it automatically). But - shouldn't an
    anti-virus find trojans? Don't they really fall in the "virus' category?

    /j

    Vanguardx wrote:

    >"Jeff W" <msnews@Kwcpa.com>
    >wrote in news:eClQRsetEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    >> Yes - I agree - I tried installing the suite and the Firewall
    >> installation (which I don't want and couldn't disable) went nutso so I
    >> Killed it and went back to their site and found a download of
    >> EZAntiVirus alone, and the key they gave me worked.
    >>
    >> However - I benchmarked it against Mcafee and Norton. I REALLY wanted
    >> to like EZAV. The interface was VERY nice, and it ran REALLY FAST.
    >> However, I was disappoint to find that both Mcafee and Norton found a
    >> number of trojans that EZAV didn't catch. M & N also provided worm
    >> protection which I couldn't test but I don't think EZAV covers.
    >> Mcafee also found a recent trojan that Norton missed, BTW.
    >>
    >> (Here's what I did - a full backup of my kids machine, protected only
    >> by an old copy of mcafee and I just discovered he wasn't updating,
    >> had a number of viruses, trojans, adware, etc in it - I ran all 3
    >> scanners on the ZIP file of the backup - Mcafee found the most,
    >> Norton almost as good, but EZAV didn't find anything that wasn't
    >> strictly a virus).
    >>
    >> Bummer - it's a great program to use
    >
    >That's why the products are called anti-VIRUS products. The inclusion
    >of malware and spyware - which are NOT viruses - is due to pressure on
    >the AV makers to cover more than just viruses. Some AV makers are
    >providing protection suites, some enhance their anti-virus products to
    >detect *some* non-virus threats, and some just focus on viruses.
    >
    >The same misconception bleeds into the newsgroups. You have someone
    >complaining about the iSearch spyware toolbar in an anti-virus
    >newsgroup. That is spyware, NOT a virus. Kaspersky, McAfee, and Norton
    >all do equally well regarding Windows viruses (see
    >http://www.av-comparatives.org/) but Kasperksy does better than McAfee
    >at catching trojans which does better than Norton (yet I suspect TDS-3
    >beats them all in regards to detecting trojans). However, for "other OS
    >malware", McAfee does better than Kaspersky which does better than
    >Norton. So you'll need more than just an anti-virus product to detect
    >non-virus threats. Trojans and spyware are not viruses. Regardless of
    >which anti-virus software you use, you'll still need spyware and malware
    >scanners and probably trojan scanners, too. You could even go further
    >(with impact to system performance) by using PrevX, Abtrusion, or System
    >Safety Monitor to further lockdown the security of your system.
    >Firewalls and anti-virus products provide some decent periphery or
    >boundary protection but, as you've seen, they don't protect the system
    >against the user.
    >
    >
    >
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Jeff W wrote:
    > Fair enough on the spyware and malware (I use Adaware 6 and am
    > thinking of upgrading to their newer stuff, even though i have to get
    > the pay version to be able to schedule it automatically). But -
    > shouldn't an anti-virus find trojans? Don't they really fall in the
    > "virus' category?

    A scheduled task and some scripting would allow you to update the AdAware
    definitions automatically.

    Same with Spybot Search and Destroy.

    SpywareBlaster - that's trickier.

    IE-SpyAd, however, is also scriptable.

    And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and Worms.
    AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware.
    The differences are slight - but existent. All of those things are
    annoying, Viruses, Trojans and Worms are usually more destructive - while
    Spyware sends information about the user/computer/habits to some place,
    Adware annoys you with popups - but they usually are not destructive, just
    poorly implemented and end up interfering with other software.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    --
    The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    getting into before you jump in with both feet.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    The NEW Ad Aware Personal Edition cannot be set up to start a scan
    automatically when called from the command line (as it is from the
    scheduler). It does not accept the command line option that Adaware6
    does to start a scan automatically when started.

    check it out

    Also - you say "And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and
    Worms. AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware" and
    I agree, but according to Etrust support, a Trojan or a Word is like
    Spyware and they don't cover it. Pity they have that attitude, the
    tool is very slick.

    I'm going to give AVG a try when Version 7 is released at end of november
    /j


    Shenan Stanley wrote:

    >Jeff W wrote:
    >> Fair enough on the spyware and malware (I use Adaware 6 and am
    >> thinking of upgrading to their newer stuff, even though i have to get
    >> the pay version to be able to schedule it automatically). But -
    >> shouldn't an anti-virus find trojans? Don't they really fall in the
    >> "virus' category?
    >
    >A scheduled task and some scripting would allow you to update the AdAware
    >definitions automatically.
    >
    >Same with Spybot Search and Destroy.
    >
    >SpywareBlaster - that's trickier.
    >
    >IE-SpyAd, however, is also scriptable.
    >
    >And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and Worms.
    >AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware.
    >The differences are slight - but existent. All of those things are
    >annoying, Viruses, Trojans and Worms are usually more destructive - while
    >Spyware sends information about the user/computer/habits to some place,
    >Adware annoys you with popups - but they usually are not destructive, just
    >poorly implemented and end up interfering with other software.
    >
    >
    >
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Jeff W wrote:
    > The NEW Ad Aware Personal Edition cannot be set up to start a scan
    > automatically when called from the command line (as it is from the
    > scheduler). It does not accept the command line option that Adaware6
    > does to start a scan automatically when started.
    >
    > check it out
    >
    > Also - you say "And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and
    > Worms. AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware"
    > and I agree, but according to Etrust support, a Trojan or a Word is
    > like Spyware and they don't cover it. Pity they have that attitude,
    > the tool is very slick.
    >
    > I'm going to give AVG a try when Version 7 is released at end of
    > november /j

    Never said you could scan with Lavasoft automatically - only update the
    definitions. heh

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    --
    The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    getting into before you jump in with both feet.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    well, you CAN with Adaware6 - and I do so every night.
    you need the Plus version to do it with their new stuff.

    in my universe, if I can't automate it, what use is it? 8-}

    Shenan Stanley wrote:

    >Jeff W wrote:
    >> The NEW Ad Aware Personal Edition cannot be set up to start a scan
    >> automatically when called from the command line (as it is from the
    >> scheduler). It does not accept the command line option that Adaware6
    >> does to start a scan automatically when started.
    >>
    >> check it out
    >>
    >> Also - you say "And AntiVirus Software is for Viruses, Trojans and
    >> Worms. AntiSpyware applications are for Adware, Spyware and Malware"
    >> and I agree, but according to Etrust support, a Trojan or a Word is
    >> like Spyware and they don't cover it. Pity they have that attitude,
    >> the tool is very slick.
    >>
    >> I'm going to give AVG a try when Version 7 is released at end of
    >> november /j
    >
    >Never said you could scan with Lavasoft automatically - only update the
    >definitions. heh
    >
    >
    >
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I am not impressed with Etrust - their tech support is hard to get
    answers out of, and when I finally pressed them, they said that Trojans
    were like Adware and out of the scope of their product!
    /j

    GTS wrote:

    >Addemdum - Free software offer expires 2/1/05.
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

McAfee Virus Windows XP Microsoft Scanners