PC is horribly slow after installing XP Home SP2

After "upgrading" to SP2, it takes about 10-15 minutes to fully boot.
The hard drive just runs and runs.

After it's booted up, switching between tasks can take 1-2 minutes!!!

Every app takes minutes to launch!

I've done a full virus/spyware scan, cleaned up and defragged all
drives. I'm not sure what else to check.
2 answers Last reply
More about horribly slow installing home

    Restart in Safe Mode, do a disk clean up and also defrag the hard disk.

    How to use Disk Cleanup >>> try this first
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310312

    Click start > run > type in: "msconfig" without quotes > startup (tab),
    uncheck any unnecessary programs that might be starting up with the system.

    Clean your prefetch:
    http://www.tunexp.com/tips/maintain_your_computer/clean_your_prefetch_to_improve_performance/

    Restore Performance:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/northrup_restoreperf.mspx

    Andre
    <Mitch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > After "upgrading" to SP2, it takes about 10-15 minutes to fully boot.
    > The hard drive just runs and runs.
    >
    > After it's booted up, switching between tasks can take 1-2 minutes!!!
    >
    > Every app takes minutes to launch!
    >
    > I've done a full virus/spyware scan, cleaned up and defragged all
    > drives. I'm not sure what else to check.

    Thanks...I tried all of these.
    The hard drive just runs and runs and runs.

    Is there any way I can monitor WHAT is being read/written?

    I did a full virus scan, Spyware scan, cleanup, defrag (I have 25 gig
    free on the C: drive.).

    What could the hard drive possible be doing for 20 minutes on bootup!?

Microsoft Windows XP