PC is horribly slow after installing XP Home SP2

October 14, 2004 12:23:48 AM

After "upgrading" to SP2, it takes about 10-15 minutes to fully boot.
The hard drive just runs and runs.

After it's booted up, switching between tasks can take 1-2 minutes!!!

Every app takes minutes to launch!

I've done a full virus/spyware scan, cleaned up and defragged all
drives. I'm not sure what else to check.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 12:23:49 AM

Restart in Safe Mode, do a disk clean up and also defrag the hard disk.

How to use Disk Cleanup >>> try this first
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310312

Click start > run > type in: "msconfig" without quotes > startup (tab),
uncheck any unnecessary programs that might be starting up with the system.

Clean your prefetch:
http://www.tunexp.com/tips/maintain_your_computer/clean...

Restore Performance:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/n...

Andre
<Mitch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D j3rm0hvhq7i4bofe7ltdd7e2e3j162emo@4ax.com...
> After "upgrading" to SP2, it takes about 10-15 minutes to fully boot.
> The hard drive just runs and runs.
>
> After it's booted up, switching between tasks can take 1-2 minutes!!!
>
> Every app takes minutes to launch!
>
> I've done a full virus/spyware scan, cleaned up and defragged all
> drives. I'm not sure what else to check.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 7:33:52 PM

Thanks...I tried all of these.
The hard drive just runs and runs and runs.

Is there any way I can monitor WHAT is being read/written?

I did a full virus scan, Spyware scan, cleanup, defrag (I have 25 gig
free on the C: drive.).

What could the hard drive possible be doing for 20 minutes on bootup!?
!