cant find rpc server

I'm not positive how this happened but I suspect it may have been due to an
update from the sony site for the vaio computer. I also updated some sony
apps, but control panel is not letting me remove programs.. Other possible
place is within Admin tools for Com Applications - Under console root I get
kicked out when I try t click my computer. There is no malware. Other than
that I can't do anything else- can't run 1/2 the services, start internet,
etc. It all seems to be server related, specifically the RPC server....one
error I have seen often Win 32 error-can't find RPC server. I am unable to do
system restore and have no idea how to get back to where I was before this
started...any help is greatly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about cant find server

    Start the RPC Service
    1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click
    Computer Management.

    2. Double-click Services and Applications, click Services, and then double-click
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
    3. In the Startup type dialog box, click Automatic, click OK, and then restart your
    computer.
    NOTE: If the RPC Service is disabled, you may need to use the Recovery Console.

    In Recovery Console, run Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start, and then restart your
    computer.

    Use your WinXP CD and boot to the Recovery Console:

    1. Type the following command: Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start
    2. Press the Enter key
    3. Type: exit
    4. Press Return
    The computer will now restart.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
    How to install and use the Recovery Console

    "mmf" <mmf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm not positive how this happened but I suspect it may have been due to an
    > update from the sony site for the vaio computer. I also updated some sony
    > apps, but control panel is not letting me remove programs.. Other possible
    > place is within Admin tools for Com Applications - Under console root I get
    > kicked out when I try t click my computer. There is no malware. Other than
    > that I can't do anything else- can't run 1/2 the services, start internet,
    > etc. It all seems to be server related, specifically the RPC server....one
    > error I have seen often Win 32 error-can't find RPC server. I am unable to do
    > system restore and have no idea how to get back to where I was before this
    > started...any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you for the very clear directions. I'll give this a try at home this
    evening. Sounds promising!

    "Taurarian Constellation" wrote:

    > Start the RPC Service
    > 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click
    > Computer Management.
    >
    > 2. Double-click Services and Applications, click Services, and then double-click
    > Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
    > 3. In the Startup type dialog box, click Automatic, click OK, and then restart your
    > computer.
    > NOTE: If the RPC Service is disabled, you may need to use the Recovery Console.
    >
    > In Recovery Console, run Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start, and then restart your
    > computer.
    >

    > Use your WinXP CD and boot to the Recovery Console:
    >
    > 1. Type the following command: Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start
    > 2. Press the Enter key
    > 3. Type: exit
    > 4. Press Return
    > The computer will now restart.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
    > How to install and use the Recovery Console
    >

    > "mmf" <mmf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm not positive how this happened but I suspect it may have been due to an
    > > update from the sony site for the vaio computer. I also updated some sony
    > > apps, but control panel is not letting me remove programs.. Other possible
    > > place is within Admin tools for Com Applications - Under console root I get
    > > kicked out when I try t click my computer. There is no malware. Other than
    > > that I can't do anything else- can't run 1/2 the services, start internet,
    > > etc. It all seems to be server related, specifically the RPC server....one
    > > error I have seen often Win 32 error-can't find RPC server. I am unable to do
    > > system restore and have no idea how to get back to where I was before this
    > > started...any help is greatly appreciated.

Servers Windows XP