I'm not positive how this happened but I suspect it may have been due to an
update from the sony site for the vaio computer. I also updated some sony
apps, but control panel is not letting me remove programs.. Other possible
place is within Admin tools for Com Applications - Under console root I get
kicked out when I try t click my computer. There is no malware. Other than
that I can't do anything else- can't run 1/2 the services, start internet,
etc. It all seems to be server related, specifically the RPC server....one
error I have seen often Win 32 error-can't find RPC server. I am unable to do
system restore and have no idea how to get back to where I was before this
started...any help is greatly appreciated.

Start the RPC Service
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click
Computer Management.

2. Double-click Services and Applications, click Services, and then double-click
Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
3. In the Startup type dialog box, click Automatic, click OK, and then restart your
computer.
NOTE: If the RPC Service is disabled, you may need to use the Recovery Console.

In Recovery Console, run Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start, and then restart your
computer.

Use your WinXP CD and boot to the Recovery Console:

1. Type the following command: Enable RPCSS Service_Auto_Start
2. Press the Enter key
3. Type: exit
4. Press Return
The computer will now restart.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
How to install and use the Recovery Console

"mmf" <mmf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm not positive how this happened but I suspect it may have been due to an
> update from the sony site for the vaio computer. I also updated some sony
> apps, but control panel is not letting me remove programs.. Other possible
> place is within Admin tools for Com Applications - Under console root I get
> kicked out when I try t click my computer. There is no malware. Other than
> that I can't do anything else- can't run 1/2 the services, start internet,
> etc. It all seems to be server related, specifically the RPC server....one
> error I have seen often Win 32 error-can't find RPC server. I am unable to do
> system restore and have no idea how to get back to where I was before this
> started...any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the very clear directions. I'll give this a try at home this
evening. Sounds promising!