Thoughts on Age of Conan good? bad?

G

personally i think its a terrible game and i cant believe how bad the combat is.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
After playing age of conan for about 20 minutes, if someone had flashed into the room wearing a tophat and tuxedo riding a time machine, and shouted to me "C'mon boy! Let us travel to 20 minutes ago so that you might watch two naked men wrestle in oil and their own feces until the defeated succumbs to forced anal penetration!" I can't say I wouldn't have gotten on that time machine.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

so you mean that you dont like it then (?)

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

No actually it's amazing, I just wish I could have spent that time watching naked man wrestling instead. Hindsight is 20/20

Blank2k2

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Ive played a couple of the betas, (pvp & now open)... pvp was ok, didnt inspire me.

open (merely a couple of weeks later) seems to have had alot of new bits added on that i noticed as soon as i logged in.

If the open beta is the retail game (Which has been said alot "Make no judgements until you see the retail version!") then the game is a 5/10 in my books

if the retail is what im expecting ill say its going to be an 8/10, there is ALOT more to AoC than just 13 levels of beta laggy stress test.

P.s
12312313232131231231132315213124 > clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick /sit clickclickclickclicklclickclick /sit clickclickclickclickclick
:p

bushmastertd

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
so far in the fileplanet open beta, i have had a real good time considering the bugs, but hey thats what is in a beta right. I believe at teh time of launch it is gonna be very good.

locherbread

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
The latest patch was fantastic, it eradicated a ton of issues & made the game tremendously more playable, but at the end of the day it is just another mmorpg with a few differences, eg real time combat, spellweaving...

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

agreed!

Best,

3Ball

promac

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I think it's a good game. It's an MMO though so if that's not what you're into then you probably won't like it.

If you do though - you should have a crackin time with AoC.

DannyBoy27

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I have played Age of Conan from the Technical tests stage all the way through to the open beta ( fileplanet ). My thoughts...

I have had my fair share of absolute frustration with loads of bugs in AoC but that comes with the territory in betas. I plowed through the bugs in order to, like all the other testers, ensure that the final product would be as bug free as possible and a smoothly oiled machine. The best part of the process is just how receptive and commited the dev team were in terms of responding to queries and suggestions.

Basically the game was "finished" last october but they decided to polish the game for a further 6 months. So in the interim loads of content adding and tweaking has been going on behind the scenes and I must say - after finally playing on the final beta patch last weekend I was truly impressed. Not only did I not encounter another bug or any lag/zonning to speak of ( with the only exception being that annoying crash after you exit AoC which is a problem with the beta client exe ) but the graphics looked even better that I imagined it could. They finally loaded in extended shading and occlusion/shadow support and textures which makes it look really, really pretty.

The dev team did stress that the beta was an UNFINISHED product - not only that, they were also trying to overload the client and so were using toned down apps and servers during the previous beta patches to make sure it would run well in the final mode. As an example; when loading into a server in the last patching stage of the beta I spawned in a cimmerian village with at least 100 other players tightly packed around me. I was playing on absolute full graphics @ 1920x1080 and there was not a shred of lag or ingame loading. Just dead smooth. It was at that point that the game justified itself to me. Combat was smooth, even with dozens of people swing combos and casting everywhere

I actually enjoyed running around at lvl 20 in full PVP. Sure, I hated the lone hidden assasins or the rogue team of mates who decimated every solitary soldier trying to get through a vital pass - but that encouraged team work :) But at the end of the day it was an enjoyable experience. I havent even seen mounted, siege, or commanded mass army vs army combat - not to mention the player guild cities and building and resources and warring over areas etc.

Basically - if you didnt see the final patch ( and by final I mean the final beta patch - they are adding loads more stuff and bugfixes to the final shipped version ) then you cant really comment on this game. End of story - because I am well aware of what the closed, general and technical betas looked and ran like and they really killed the gamelplay/selling point of the game - but then again too many people confuse DEMO's with BETA's.

If thats a taste of what is to come then it is by far the best MMO i have played and Im glad I preordered.

hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004
I've never played the beta or anything but I am truely looking forward to this game. I've played EQ, WoW, and currently playing EQ2 and they just don't do it for me anymore. I'm looking for somthing different. I sure hope this game can get me out of my period of boredom.

coco savege

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
I played the open beta and was really impressed. The graphics were fantastic and that wasnt even with dx10 in the game yet. I have downloaded the early access client and can confirm that dx10 will be in at release. The footage i have seen of the game in dx10 is unbelievable. Aside from the graphics, the combat system is fairly innovative for mmorpgs and does require a bit more skill. The quests, storyline and characters are interesting and overall the game is fun to play. Maybe not a WoW killer but I think Funcom has a huge hit on their hands.

promac

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
It's rated 18 so it will never be a WoW-killer but that's ok. The kiddies can keep their cartoon-world while the rest of us chop heads off in Conan.

(Not to mention the naked ladies...)

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

Too bad the "naked ladies" look and sound retarded, and female characters holding weapons in combat mode look like they're constipated. Seriously, the graphics aren't great, the gameplay was repetitive and not, in any sense of the word, innovative, and the UI looked like something I'd expect from a free MMO 5 years ago.

promac

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I'll take a wild guess here and say you're a single player gamer who spends more time tweaking his PC than actually using it to play games with.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Actually I prefer multiplayer games. I just happen to have an awesome rig. Used to play, Diablo online, Brood war, D2, CS in CAL and stuff, but also played Lineage II for about 2 years, played some WoW for a few months, and lots of DotA.Really looking forward to SC2.

So I guess to fully respond to your post, before I had a full time job + work on the side, I'd play multiplayer games a lot. I don't spend a lot of time on my PC actually, although I have spent a fair amount of money on it I actually do use it for multitasking when I work as well as multiplayer games whenever I get the chance.

Honestly though, AoC is just terrible.

promac

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
And you're basing that assertion on some time played in a beta? Right now, the game looks great, runs great and plays great. The one complaint I had about was that the keymappings were terrible but they've added support for full remapping which improves it vastly. And they've already implemented support for 3rd party interface mods so, as with most other games, as soon as I can get one together I'll be replacing the default UI anyway.

I don't know how you can the graphics aren't great -

This is Age of Conan:
normal_noobbeach.jpg

This is Crysis:
normal_CrysisBeachDX10.jpg

There's not a huge difference there, and at the risk of sounding like a complete fanboy - I actually prefer the graphics in AoC.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Why don't you blow those pictures up, both to 1920 or 2560. Any small thumbnail screenshot would look the same.

Plus their "innovative" gameplay using first or third person with a bow was probably the worst thing I'd ever seen. They make it sound awesome in interviews but in reality it's just an over the shoulder pov that's clumsy and not really worth using.

promac

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008

One aspect of one class isn't "innovative" enough for you so you write off the game? Come on man. As far as MMO's go it's definitely one of the best. If that's not your thing, fair enough.

Best I can do on screenshots is 1280x1024.

Crysis -
crysis1.jpg

Conan -
noobbeach.jpg

Another Conan, just cause I have it handy -
conall1.jpg

You can't say that's not a sweet lookin MMO.