Sign in with
Your question

Thoughts on Age of Conan good? bad?

Last response: in Video Games
Anonymous
May 8, 2008 10:11:37 PM

personally i think its a terrible game and i cant believe how bad the combat is.
May 8, 2008 10:15:48 PM

After playing age of conan for about 20 minutes, if someone had flashed into the room wearing a tophat and tuxedo riding a time machine, and shouted to me "C'mon boy! Let us travel to 20 minutes ago so that you might watch two naked men wrestle in oil and their own feces until the defeated succumbs to forced anal penetration!" I can't say I wouldn't have gotten on that time machine.
Anonymous
May 8, 2008 10:16:40 PM

:jakebarnssmiley:  lol? :jakebarnssmiley: 
Related resources
May 8, 2008 10:19:18 PM

12312312321323131312312312312312321312313131 4 3333231241231231231232132132131312312 5 2213132321312...
May 9, 2008 8:46:04 AM

Oh Snap said:
After playing age of conan for about 20 minutes, if someone had flashed into the room wearing a tophat and tuxedo riding a time machine, and shouted to me "C'mon boy! Let us travel to 20 minutes ago so that you might watch two naked men wrestle in oil and their own feces until the defeated succumbs to forced anal penetration!" I can't say I wouldn't have gotten on that time machine.

so you mean that you dont like it then (?)
May 9, 2008 11:03:24 AM

I enjoy it & alot of my friends do, so each too our own & no ones opinion is gospel ;-)
May 9, 2008 6:33:20 PM

spuddyt said:
so you mean that you dont like it then (?)

No actually it's amazing, I just wish I could have spent that time watching naked man wrestling instead. Hindsight is 20/20
May 9, 2008 6:44:00 PM

Ive played a couple of the betas, (pvp & now open)... pvp was ok, didnt inspire me.

open (merely a couple of weeks later) seems to have had alot of new bits added on that i noticed as soon as i logged in.

If the open beta is the retail game (Which has been said alot "Make no judgements until you see the retail version!") then the game is a 5/10 in my books

if the retail is what im expecting ill say its going to be an 8/10, there is ALOT more to AoC than just 13 levels of beta laggy stress test.

P.s
12312313232131231231132315213124 > clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick /sit clickclickclickclicklclickclick /sit clickclickclickclickclick
:p 
May 9, 2008 9:09:26 PM

In closed Beta.

Wish I could comment.
May 10, 2008 4:31:36 AM

so far in the fileplanet open beta, i have had a real good time considering the bugs, but hey thats what is in a beta right. I believe at teh time of launch it is gonna be very good.
May 10, 2008 9:51:01 AM

The latest patch was fantastic, it eradicated a ton of issues & made the game tremendously more playable, but at the end of the day it is just another mmorpg with a few differences, eg real time combat, spellweaving...
May 10, 2008 2:10:33 PM

locherbread said:
The latest patch was fantastic, it eradicated a ton of issues & made the game tremendously more playable, but at the end of the day it is just another mmorpg with a few differences, eg real time combat, spellweaving...

agreed!

Best,

3Ball
May 12, 2008 1:56:20 PM

I think it's a good game. It's an MMO though so if that's not what you're into then you probably won't like it.

If you do though - you should have a crackin time with AoC.

May 13, 2008 2:13:25 PM

I have played Age of Conan from the Technical tests stage all the way through to the open beta ( fileplanet ). My thoughts...

I have had my fair share of absolute frustration with loads of bugs in AoC but that comes with the territory in betas. I plowed through the bugs in order to, like all the other testers, ensure that the final product would be as bug free as possible and a smoothly oiled machine. The best part of the process is just how receptive and commited the dev team were in terms of responding to queries and suggestions.

Basically the game was "finished" last october but they decided to polish the game for a further 6 months. So in the interim loads of content adding and tweaking has been going on behind the scenes and I must say - after finally playing on the final beta patch last weekend I was truly impressed. Not only did I not encounter another bug or any lag/zonning to speak of ( with the only exception being that annoying crash after you exit AoC which is a problem with the beta client exe ) but the graphics looked even better that I imagined it could. They finally loaded in extended shading and occlusion/shadow support and textures which makes it look really, really pretty.

The dev team did stress that the beta was an UNFINISHED product - not only that, they were also trying to overload the client and so were using toned down apps and servers during the previous beta patches to make sure it would run well in the final mode. As an example; when loading into a server in the last patching stage of the beta I spawned in a cimmerian village with at least 100 other players tightly packed around me. I was playing on absolute full graphics @ 1920x1080 and there was not a shred of lag or ingame loading. Just dead smooth. It was at that point that the game justified itself to me. Combat was smooth, even with dozens of people swing combos and casting everywhere

I actually enjoyed running around at lvl 20 in full PVP. Sure, I hated the lone hidden assasins or the rogue team of mates who decimated every solitary soldier trying to get through a vital pass - but that encouraged team work :)  But at the end of the day it was an enjoyable experience. I havent even seen mounted, siege, or commanded mass army vs army combat - not to mention the player guild cities and building and resources and warring over areas etc.

Basically - if you didnt see the final patch ( and by final I mean the final beta patch - they are adding loads more stuff and bugfixes to the final shipped version ) then you cant really comment on this game. End of story - because I am well aware of what the closed, general and technical betas looked and ran like and they really killed the gamelplay/selling point of the game - but then again too many people confuse DEMO's with BETA's.

If thats a taste of what is to come then it is by far the best MMO i have played and Im glad I preordered.
May 13, 2008 4:55:13 PM

Can't fault any of that at all. Exactly my thoughts as well.
May 13, 2008 7:24:49 PM

I've never played the beta or anything but I am truely looking forward to this game. I've played EQ, WoW, and currently playing EQ2 and they just don't do it for me anymore. I'm looking for somthing different. I sure hope this game can get me out of my period of boredom.
May 13, 2008 9:15:23 PM

I played the open beta and was really impressed. The graphics were fantastic and that wasnt even with dx10 in the game yet. I have downloaded the early access client and can confirm that dx10 will be in at release. The footage i have seen of the game in dx10 is unbelievable. Aside from the graphics, the combat system is fairly innovative for mmorpgs and does require a bit more skill. The quests, storyline and characters are interesting and overall the game is fun to play. Maybe not a WoW killer but I think Funcom has a huge hit on their hands.
May 14, 2008 11:21:32 AM

It's rated 18 so it will never be a WoW-killer but that's ok. The kiddies can keep their cartoon-world while the rest of us chop heads off in Conan.

(Not to mention the naked ladies...)
May 14, 2008 2:39:14 PM

I might try Aoc..just need more time...
May 14, 2008 6:47:16 PM

promac said:
It's rated 18 so it will never be a WoW-killer but that's ok. The kiddies can keep their cartoon-world while the rest of us chop heads off in Conan.

(Not to mention the naked ladies...)

Too bad the "naked ladies" look and sound retarded, and female characters holding weapons in combat mode look like they're constipated. Seriously, the graphics aren't great, the gameplay was repetitive and not, in any sense of the word, innovative, and the UI looked like something I'd expect from a free MMO 5 years ago.
May 15, 2008 2:23:03 PM

I'll take a wild guess here and say you're a single player gamer who spends more time tweaking his PC than actually using it to play games with.

May 15, 2008 6:12:58 PM

Actually I prefer multiplayer games. I just happen to have an awesome rig. Used to play, Diablo online, Brood war, D2, CS in CAL and stuff, but also played Lineage II for about 2 years, played some WoW for a few months, and lots of DotA.Really looking forward to SC2.

So I guess to fully respond to your post, before I had a full time job + work on the side, I'd play multiplayer games a lot. I don't spend a lot of time on my PC actually, although I have spent a fair amount of money on it I actually do use it for multitasking when I work as well as multiplayer games whenever I get the chance.

Honestly though, AoC is just terrible.
May 16, 2008 8:46:55 AM

And you're basing that assertion on some time played in a beta? Right now, the game looks great, runs great and plays great. The one complaint I had about was that the keymappings were terrible but they've added support for full remapping which improves it vastly. And they've already implemented support for 3rd party interface mods so, as with most other games, as soon as I can get one together I'll be replacing the default UI anyway.

I don't know how you can the graphics aren't great -

This is Age of Conan:

This is Crysis:

There's not a huge difference there, and at the risk of sounding like a complete fanboy - I actually prefer the graphics in AoC.
May 16, 2008 3:58:35 PM

Why don't you blow those pictures up, both to 1920 or 2560. Any small thumbnail screenshot would look the same.

Plus their "innovative" gameplay using first or third person with a bow was probably the worst thing I'd ever seen. They make it sound awesome in interviews but in reality it's just an over the shoulder pov that's clumsy and not really worth using.
May 16, 2008 4:07:10 PM

Oh Snap said:
Why don't you blow those pictures up, both to 1920 or 2560. Any small thumbnail screenshot would look the same.

Plus their "innovative" gameplay using first or third person with a bow was probably the worst thing I'd ever seen. They make it sound awesome in interviews but in reality it's just an over the shoulder pov that's clumsy and not really worth using.

One aspect of one class isn't "innovative" enough for you so you write off the game? Come on man. As far as MMO's go it's definitely one of the best. If that's not your thing, fair enough.

Best I can do on screenshots is 1280x1024.

Crysis -

Conan -

Another Conan, just cause I have it handy -

You can't say that's not a sweet lookin MMO.

Anonymous
May 16, 2008 4:32:09 PM

i cant believe you are trying to compare age of conan to crysis, its not even close in graphics or gameplay. a few limited movements with limited physics or a completely functional world that looks amazing no matter how close you are to the textures. Honestly the screens you posted look like something i would have seen years ago in lineage 2
May 20, 2008 4:31:46 PM

Quote:
i cant believe you are trying to compare age of conan to crysis, its not even close in graphics or gameplay. a few limited movements with limited physics or a completely functional world that looks amazing no matter how close you are to the textures. Honestly the screens you posted look like something i would have seen years ago in lineage 2

Wow - obsessive crysis fan much?

What I said was "You can't say that's not a sweet lookin MMO." I posted crysis pics for a comparison to show how nice the graphics are in Conan, not to suggest the graphics in Crysis are pish.

Whatever though. Game launches today. Go check it out for yourself.
May 20, 2008 5:05:11 PM

Already checked it out with open beta, it was garbage. Just another crappy MMO.
May 20, 2008 6:04:51 PM

Both Crysis and AoC are beautiful games. I have only been playing AoC since early access and am still a nub, but I like most of what I have seen so far. Some of the combat is bugy and dificult because there is no auto attacking, but I think it will become easier the more I play. I have had a hard time forming groups or finding people to group with. Also once I get in a group it is hard to keep track of everyone in it on mini map. I love the voice acting and the quests they are awsome. I have herd that there is no more voice acting or cut scenes after I leave Tortage, is this true? If so Booooooo.

BTW Hurray for BOOBIES
May 21, 2008 8:37:38 AM

Oh Snap said:

Now that's a well qualified opinion that people can really relate to.
May 21, 2008 8:42:56 AM

Oh Snap said:

Just in case you're immune to sarcasm -

You clearly don't like MMOs so you're in absolutely no position to say whether one MMO is better than another or if it's simply "garbage". Especially when the only version of the MMO in question was a "crappy" open beta, almost unrecognisable in performance from the release version.

In other words - trolling.

May 21, 2008 4:31:06 PM

Well I've only played through the first couple of levels and just started some of the "night time" single player game play but here's my initial thoughts:

In the first ten minutes I was a little frustrated. There were some graphical "things" that caught my eye as being less than great. The controls clunky difficult and at first the combat system just seems like button mashing. Also the ore as your first weapon looks a little silly.
However once I tweaked the graphics and control mapping things looked and felt much better. The combat also starts to straighten itself out pretty quickly as you acquire new abilities and weapons in the first couple levels. I found myself more than a few times starting to attack a mob then sitting backing waiting for my auto attacks to finish the fight or for my cool downs to be ready only to realize I actually had to play through the fights. Also as a Ranger the idea that I have to switch weapons and chose when to melee and when to go for a ranged attack adds a lot more thought and excitement into mob fights. I still have to work on my button mappings to smooth out my battle actions (the idea that this was initially not an option would have been disastrous). Whether or not all this will make fighting more tedius or add a more exciting level of skilled battle later in the game will have to wait and see.
The other element that really grabbed me in my limited gameplay is how great the characters look. The NPCs are great and make the gameplay much more interesting. Wanting to complete a quest so that I can get back to Tine The Barmaid and hear more from her adds a lot to the game as opposed to reading the text box of a blah looking static character. The player characters not only look great but from my limited gameplay they seem pretty diverse. Maybe it's just my wishful thinking but I'm hoping that by not having radically different races like elves, dwarves, orcs etc more emphasice will be put on diverse individuals rather than races of which all members look almost the same. Obviously these are just early assesments and may not hold up later in the game, but for me it will be worth playing through the first month to see.
May 21, 2008 4:44:40 PM

The only lame thing is that there is no more voice acting and cut scenes after you leave Tortage. So don't get used to them talking for ever. Or at least that has what I have been told by someone who has been playing all through the beta and knows alot about the game.
May 21, 2008 8:36:48 PM

Is that zero voice acting after Tortage or much less? I can understand once the focus turns to multiplayer having much less voice acting and what not, but completely eliminated? Seems like that would be a waste of having it in the first place. Oh well, I'm hoping to get more play time in tonight (no kids around :) 
May 22, 2008 8:39:43 AM

Right now there's no voice acting after tortage but they're gonna put it in later.

I think people need to remember though that 20 levels of voice acting is 20 levels more than most other MMOs - instead of just focusing on the rest of the game not having any yet.

Besides, once you've gone through tortage the first time you end up skipping all the dialogue.

May 22, 2008 10:05:14 PM

Is this true they are gonna add it later? Sweet if they do because the story and the scenes kinda get me more involved in the game.

BTW has anyone noticed the drunk by the dock that takes a leak over the edge lol...
May 23, 2008 8:39:42 AM

RADIO_ACTIVE said:

BTW has anyone noticed the drunk by the dock that takes a leak over the edge lol...

Lol, yeah:

May 23, 2008 2:37:12 PM

Whats funny is one guy here posted he didn't like the game and someone else started arguing trying to change his mind. The game doesn't look amazing and is not close to Crysis. Hell HL2/TF2 has better graphics as far as I can tell from the screen shots.

I have yet to play it but it does look interesting to say the least.

But all I want to really say is: Respect others opinions. They might not like the game so live with it and stop trying to change their minds. I personally didn't think much of Crysis as it didn't "wow" me. This is the same thing.
May 23, 2008 3:05:18 PM

I like AoC but just like any game it does get repetitive. Everyone should stop comparing crysis and AoC and start comparing AoC to other MMOs. The graphics (IMO) kill any other MMO. I just wish the women would stop running around topless so I can consentrate ;) 
May 23, 2008 3:52:20 PM

I've played WoW a lot and been following AoC closely.

Can anyone who's played WoW and AoC comment on the differences and which game is better?: Ty.
May 23, 2008 4:04:56 PM

I play WoW and AoC.

- Graphics are definately different lol
- AoC has no auto attacking like WoW does
- AoC has a combo attacking system
- AoC has Fatalities or finishing moves (choping off yheads sliting throats etc. etc.)
- Quests are pretty much the same in both like gathering and killing and killing for an item etc. etc.
- In AoC every one can cloak or hide as they call it in the game (good for pvp and questing around certain enemys)

These are the only things I can comment on as of right now my highest level character is 17. But someone that is a much higher level could probably add a lot more things.
May 23, 2008 6:02:53 PM

AOC is a really good game best launch out of any mmo in history and 90 % of the people who are having problems playing the game just need to get rid of there 7000 series cards and accept that there idiots for thinking upgrading to 3 Generation old card was smart i gotta laugh at ppl. The graphics in age of conan can be compared to crysis and your cracked if you dont the graphic's are simply amazing and the physics aswell. I play age of conan on high graphics on a 8800 gts 320 mb and on 1650x1050 and it runs at like 40-70 fps.
May 24, 2008 1:38:48 PM

Looks good.

The single player campaign makes it appealing for the graphics. Much like Crysis. Grinding should be banned from all MMORPG. Questing and puzzle solving or using thief like skills should be emphasized more in RPGs. Combat is the best part of games, but less emphasis on the mindless "farming/grinding" has me thinking twice before paying any monthly fees.

May 25, 2008 7:59:44 AM

AoC is really a breath of fresh air in the MMO genre. The combat is very intuitive imo, no more hit this button and wait while your avatar aimlessly swings till the mob goes down. Combat is handled through a series of "combos", which work on press this then this button, this keeps the combat alive and interesting. Also has an active blocking system in combat where you can move a set of 3 "shields" to better protect yourself. Graphically speaking this is one of the most breath taking games, not just mmo's, that i have ever played. These settings are very detailed, and have a life all thier own i.e., people carrying on random duties in a town. Like in the starting Island of Tortage there is a pirate that if you watch him long enough he will walk to the end of the pier and take a leak off the side. Quests are pretty much the same as in every other mmo, you still have the "Go collect 25 bear A$$'s and return for an item" quests, but these are actually fun thanks to the combat system. Now atm the game is still pretty buggy but that is to be expected with a game that has been out for under a week, but funcom is working constantly to fix everything. Another good thing i like about the combat system is that it has the capability to virtually do away with botters, that would take some major programming to get a bot program to work lol. This game is also very hardware demanding so if you have a box that is fairly long in the tooth you will need to upgrade.

All in all i really believe this game was really worth the wait.
May 27, 2008 10:11:28 AM

Age of conan will I suspect be a short lived game for me, its graphically very good, the initial voice acting is a nice addition. The combat system for now is entertaining, but I can see it becoming old.

Theres more strategy than just button mashing, your opponents shields directions matter to your combos as well, so theres a degree of strategy involved in trying to control the direction of your opponents shields to maximise your combo damage and to maximize your chances of a "fatality" (which you only have a chance to do when a combo attack is the killing blow hitting an unshielded side). Its quite fun taking apart a enemy in this manner, but I could see it getting old.

Ive personally so far have found healer classes to be desperately underpowered, with very limited healing ability, limited damage ability and low survivability :( .

Some missions I could waltz through with my barbarian slaughtering 2-3 mobs a couple of levels above myself with relative ease, where my healer class characters die desperately trying to finish of one mob of a pair their own level before they die so that they can come back and face just one. The healing doesnt seem to be effective in group situations either...

I also felt that mage classes didnt do enough damage to make them very surviveable either. Rogue classes are awesome as are regular melee warriors. I would imagine mages and healers will be a bit rarer once you leave the island and might be sought after in groups if they actually have a use in higher end group scenarios (if not then the game has some severe balance issues that need fixing pronto)

My barbarian is so tough that I dont bother wearing his main armour section the chest armour running around in just a loin cloth and boots (like the look), he seems to have a natural toughness that I never expected from a "stealth" class.

The instancing of every area in the game isnt explained very well and nearly put me and my wife off the game before we realised we could join each other in the same instance and work together. The day \ Night thing at least helps cure the problems with quest specific mobs being "over camped" which is a problem that can be expected this early in a games life.

Graphically the game is very good, although perhaps somethings are overly "glossy" there are many sections that CAN be compared to graphics in crysis and certainly far superior to oblivion or lotro. I found performance surprising good at 1680x1050 with "high" settings and 4xaa my 8800GTX was capable of sustain over 30fps with no slowdowns or lag. Overall the game seems very stable even running on windows vista.

Will be interesting to see what the graphics look like under dx10 when that gets launched later this year.

I look forward to finding out about what crafting has to offer in this game.
May 28, 2008 3:37:35 AM

Just my 2 cents: You cannot compare Crysis and AoC. Ive seen both games and played Crysis and watched my friend play it with a new computer just build on high settings and Crysis will always blow AoC out of the water graphically. AoC on the other hand has a lot of voice overs and cut scenes, probably why the game is actually like 28 gigs of hard drive space. It is a HUGE game.

I do have to say though that the PvP is not as great as it is cracked up to be, and I have heard from numerous people that in the later levels you run out of quests and people basically have to grind to lvl 80. That can be a huge problem because people from EQs and other Morphs hate grinding, and that is why WoW has become so popular because their quests are more than you could ever need to lvl up to 70.

I do like AoC graphics though they are very sexy and it looks like a smooth game, but I think its only going to appeal to so many people after a while and eventually lose interest. Lich King will bring all the WoW players back with Mount combat and new items and loots lol.
May 28, 2008 5:33:26 AM

Age of Nakedman imo.
May 28, 2008 4:04:52 PM

fionn2003 you can't even compare them yet because DX 10 has not been released yet for AoC and will not be released until later this year (In Fall). From what I have heard they are trying to make sure that everything looks perfect before they release it, because the game was originally designed for DX 9. The DirectX 10 version will be premiered at the German Games Convention.
May 28, 2008 6:12:57 PM

dx10 will not make a huge difference at all on a MMORPG. The game is totally built around having an internet and connecting with a server for game play and having hundreds of characters in the same area. It cannot and will never be as graphically detailed as Crysis. If you think that you are pretty naive on how those games are totally different graphically and how they are presented.

Crysis is built around the whole idea of working your way through dense vegitation, being on an island with large bodies of water, not including the detail needing for the trees and shadows that the game is using to create realism.

CoA does not do any of those things. It has minimum shadows and vegitation will never be as complex at the moment like Crysis is. The bump mapping expecially on Crysis is one of those things that makes it what it is.

CoA will not change much at all from DX10, because it cannot support that with so many people online and your computer having to render everything you are seeing from the server that other people are doing. the 28 gigs of CoA is basically all the maps and cut sceens, you are not having to use your bandwidth for that, but you are having to use it for the data coming in from all the other players who are playing and their actions in the world. I am not sure about spells and abilities on how they are incorperated with what is being sent over the server and not. CoD4 modern Warfare is pretty darn sexy looking, but even they cannot have the same graphic capabilities as Crysis going on if they are wanting their game to be Online only.

Crysis does not have to worry about that, and so it was created with much higher detail, same thing with Farcry.. they are not worried about bandwidth so they can make a stronger first player experience in a much larger lush world with higher detail that you are graphically seeing.

example.. kinda a large pic of Crysis

http://forums.prophecy.co.za/attachments/f70/9733d11686...

Here is an example of AoC, which I could find something larger for detail.

http://aoc.lotrmmorpg.com/gallery/AgeOfConan_2.jpg

Let us not forget that Crysis also is WAYYYYYYYYY more designed around the physics of your enviroment. You can basically shoot anything and it will splinter and fall apart. In AoC the enviroment does not work the same way.
!