Distinguished
Dec 18, 2002
Got all my pieces in for my monster system:
A7N8X-Deluxe
AMD 2400+
Corsair DDR 400 512 MB Stick
Antex Case (430 Power Suppy)
80 GB Western Digital (2MB cache)

Got some time. Got the MOBO, Memory and floppy installed in the case.

Noticed the BIOS was reporting I had a 1800+. Thought I got ripped by the dealer. When I switched the BIOS settings for FSB from 100 mhz to 133 mhz, the boot up read 2400+ (confused why this setting changed the CPU reporting)

The drive is formated w/ NTFS. When booting, the Detecting IDE drives takes a good 30 to 40 seconds. It correctly reports the WD drive.
Then we get the typical BIOS printout screen, IRQ settings, etc.

I have a bootable floppy in.

The drive spins briefly, I get a loading Caldera DOS (loading PQ Magic) and then the system stops.

I then installed my new Sony DRU500A DVD rom with WIN XP Pro CD which is bootable.

Restart, go through the 1 minute overall wait until the boot menu picks up for the DVD. I make my selection to install XP pro. I get the expected "inspecting system" message and then blank screen and nothing. Similiar to the floppy boot.

So, any ideas what could be going on. I have not messed with any of the BIOS settings except the FSB setting which somehow fixed the CPU being reported.

I would have thought, out of the box, it would work. Albeit maybe slow since the settings are not optimal.

As it stands now. I can get anything to load in order to partition and/or load XP Pro.

Any help appreciated.

-gg

It would be cool if their was a A7N8X guide to the BIOS for each processor type and maybe with specific, common memory Corsair for example.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I had the same problem with the fsb multiplier when I did the first post on this board. The jumpers were set properly but it still wanted to give me 100 fsb. Check to see if all your jumpers are set properly. As for the slow ide channel, check to see if you have the drive on the correct channel. Good luck.

Another Gatesware Drone. You WILL Be Assimilated.
My rig:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP1700
Abit Siluro GForce2 AGP
2x 256m crucial ram

cirthix

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003
changing the fsb numbers in your bios will change what it shows you on the first screen, the one where it detects the drives.
follow the steps carefully
1. write these steps down
2. unplug your computer from the back, (not plugged into the wall at all(hehe it rhymes))
3. take out the cmos battery for about two hours (trust me, I had to do similar things to get my machine running)(I have a different motherboard, but they all work basically the same way).
4. come back, plug in the battery, it will reset defaults (don't just use the bios option)
5. make sure of the following settings
a. quick p.o.s.t.
b. boot order
c. fsb speed (133)(once o.s. is installed, try this at higher numbers, my brother runs at 143, and it is waaayyy faster than mine(same cpu))
6. check all of your cables
7. clean c.d.
8. if all else fails, temporarily put a different cpu in the motherboard (when it is off), then change it back (when it is off)this will change the settings to be slower and more stable when you put your faster cpu back
worked for me, hope it works for you
-cirthix

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
You don't need to wait two hours. The procedure is a little different than that described. This link is good.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=527833#527833" target="_new">Asus A7N8X Deluxe official thread</A>

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>