exfileme

Splendid
Looks like Hollywood took interest in 2K Games' hit FPS BioShock. According to a recent PR, Universal Pictures is working on the motion picture, however no projected release date was announced. Gore Verbinski, director of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, is slated to direct and produce the movie while John Logan (writer of Gladiator, The Aviator, Sweeney Todd) is in talks to do the screenplay. Here's more:
An original property developed by 2K Games, BioShock is one of the most successful new interactive entertainment franchises to launch in recent years. A critical and consumer hit, BioShock has sold more than 2 million units worldwide since its release in August 2007. A sequel to the game, BioShock 2, is planned for a release in 2009.

"We are excited that 2K Games' vision for BioShock will be carried forward in a new medium," said Strauss Zelnick, Chairman of Take-Two. "BioShock has been hailed as one of the most highly cinematic and richly plotted titles in interactive entertainment, making it extremely well-suited to film. In partnering with Universal and Gore Verbinski, we have assembled a team that respects the uniqueness of BioShock and will translate it into a powerful movie experience."

Mr. Zelnick added, "Our ability to attract a major studio and unparalleled creative team speaks volumes about the strength of our BioShock franchise. It also demonstrates how Take-Two is delivering value based on our strategy of creating and owning our industry's most powerful intellectual property."

Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K Games, noted, "BioShock fans appreciate the depth and complexity of the game, and our partnership with Gore Verbinski will introduce the world of Rapture to an even wider audience. In addition to his impressive body of work, Gore is an avid video gamer and true fan of BioShock. That was extremely important to us in deciding to move forward with this project."

BioShock: Triumph of the Imagination

Considered to be one the finest games in the history of interactive entertainment, BioShock unfolds as a deep and exciting adventure. Barely surviving a plane crash, the player lands in icy uncharted waters and discovers an undersea city called Rapture, a failed utopia whose citizens had embraced genetic engineering before the city descended into pure anarchy. Power and greed have run amok and the city has succumbed to civil war. It is a gripping game that forces the player to make complex moral choices. Fans have embraced BioShock's mysterious world filled with powerful technology and fascinating characters. BioShock is also renowned for its rich visual detail depicting a gorgeous Art Deco world set deep beneath the sea.

BioShock has earned some of the highest ratings and strongest accolades in video game history. It is one of the best-rated titles for Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, with a MetaCritic rating of 96. Numerous organizations bestowed "Game of the Year" status on BioShock in 2007, including The Associated Press, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA), Game Informer, Spike TV's Video Game Awards, G4's X-Play, Amazon.com, The Houston Chronicle and Paste Magazine. Additionally, BioShock ranked among the top 10 titles on many other "Best of 2007" award lists, including The New York Times, Time Magazine and Maxim. BioShock was internally developed by 2K Boston and 2K Australia and is owned by the 2K Games label of Take-Two Interactive Software.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
To me the game was like a movie already and you were the main character. (Hands-down best storyline, character development, etc. I have seen in a game. Ever) I'm not sure how they are going to make the movie... unless they do a prequel to Bioshock when Rapture starts to descend into madness. I would go see that. :)

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

You obviously never played Planescape: Torment or System Shock 2. In my opinion both of these outclass the script from Bioshock quite easily, and in gameplay terms they're probably even better. Planescape has one of, if not the, best character development ideas of any RPG to date.

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
I always try to be optimistic in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary so I'll keep an eye on this. I liked The Ring quite a bit and while the Pirates movies never quite hooked me at least Verbinski is someone with a proven track record of success and someone who can get a larger budget.

Now I hate it when people always say an adaptation should be R... but I think with BioShock they should really push the scares. We need to see at least one guy get put down by a Big Daddy and it needs to be early in the movie and it needs to be terrifying.

Also, John Logan needs to play through all of BioShock before writing the script. One of the problems with movies made from games is they take the general idea of the game and just make their own story. BioShock already has a story. Just work to adapt THAT story.

geckoar

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah the people making it should play the game first, and you should see a big daddy take someone out. Like in the first video I saw the big daddy drills through the guys hand and torso. That would be crazy... But I'm still waiting on the Halo movie(Which should be sick)

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007

They already made a movie with a Big Daddy. Didn't any of you jockos see the Sponge Bob Square Pants Movie!
diverdanspongebobmovie..jpg

raptorxt

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
i really enjoyed Bioshock, and i will definitely go and see the movie.
i just hope they dont do to bioshock what they did to Doom.

Doom without a hell......what the HELL kind of movie is that.