Sign in with
Your question

When did making 500 Million Suck?

Last response: in Video Games
May 9, 2008 5:07:44 PM

I hear a lot about suddenly how the PC Gaming Platform is suddenly dying but I just don't see it. World of Warcraft has 10 Million Subscribers meaning every month they are making 150 Million dollars. Sure there is costs but I doubt that it's 150 Million a month. Then we have Crysis that targetted only 10% of the PC Gamer base and still sold 1 million copies and with the publicity of the Mech Assault Mod that number is going to rise... At low balling the number that's still 390 Million in sales. The Witcher just crossed 500k copies and that's at least a 150 million there and they are currently churning out a second. Then we have Sins of a Solar Empire who seem more than happy selling 400k+ copies in a 1 month period of time which mounts to 200 Million+. We have Starcraft 2 which isn't even being planned for the console, all the MMO titles, and the fact that consoles need PC Gaming to help keep new tech moving forward and we're supposed to suddenly believe that PC Gaming is dying. Well, that's just crap. PC Gaming has been dying for the last 15 years and yet the PC Gaming Industry is making more money than ever. When making 500 Million in a one month period of time isn't considered a success then maybe it is time for them to just move on to some where else but PC Gaming. I like the fact that I don't have to wade through a hundred different crappy ass titles to get one title that is decent and costs 2 times as much as the same one on PC. When PC Gaming is dead let me know till then I'll be here and the X-box will be there... in my sons room... so I can enjoy my RTS in peace.
May 9, 2008 6:22:02 PM

Every year is "pc gaming is dying', it's been nearly 11 years my count, when is it gonna be?

Why?

End of the world as predicted by Nostradamus. End of the consoles too. Cockroaches and Rolling Stones will be the only survivors. Guess who outlives who.
May 9, 2008 6:42:31 PM

Gotta pay for that new DRM somehow
Related resources
May 12, 2008 11:42:06 AM

PC games are better than Console Games.

It's a tough market since PC gamers are smarter and will download poor games rather than buy them. Consoler's are stuck buying everything.

My friend has an Xbox360 with a bunch of games he's bought. The one we play the most is Pro Evo. GTA4 is good but San Andreas is more open ended. GTA4 seems more like Mafia.

The PC is still better suited for many genres.

Can anyone imagine playing Starcraft 2 on a console? I thought not.
May 12, 2008 12:39:43 PM

Pc gaming will die for me when they adapt a keyboard and mouse for console games
May 12, 2008 1:19:51 PM

crysis had really bad gameplay

the graphics may have looked good but no one could max it out

console does better because out of all console owners, everyone can the games, but for pc only 2-3% can run them console gaming has more piracy

no longer a need to mod the console, download and burn easier than a pc game

console gaming has has much more piracy than pc gaming

but due to the number of console gamers and the fact that every console can run the game that they make much more money

piracy has no impact on profits as they will not buy the game anyway

it is like how food at burger king sells more than those random vitamins you see at the corner stores

piracy has no effect on them but the hamburgers have a much large market than the vitamins

if people stole from both companies, burger king will still make more money due to the larger userbase

May 12, 2008 2:14:22 PM

razor512 said:
crysis had really bad gameplay

the graphics may have looked good but no one could max it out

console does better because out of all console owners, everyone can the games, but for pc only 2-3% can run them console gaming has more piracy

no longer a need to mod the console, download and burn easier than a pc game

console gaming has has much more piracy than pc gaming

but due to the number of console gamers and the fact that every console can run the game that they make much more money

piracy has no impact on profits as they will not buy the game anyway

it is like how food at burger king sells more than those random vitamins you see at the corner stores

piracy has no effect on them but the hamburgers have a much large market than the vitamins

if people stole from both companies, burger king will still make more money due to the larger userbase
I'm assuming English isn't your first language after reading your post, and would like to point out that you are also incorrect on "console gaming". While it's true you can pirate games on the Xbox360, this is not nearly as popular as doing so on the PC as it often requires some form of modification and voiding the warranty on a very unreliable piece of hardware. There is currently no way to pirate games on the PS3 at all due to the nature of PS3 games in size, and the expense of Blu-ray writers and discs. For example, Uncharted on the PS3 fills an entire single layer Blu-ray disc, at around 25GB.
May 13, 2008 11:51:46 AM

stemnin said:
Every year is "pc gaming is dying', it's been nearly 11 years my count, when is it gonna be?

Why?

End of the world as predicted by Nostradamus. End of the consoles too. Cockroaches and Rolling Stones will be the only survivors. Guess who outlives who.

lol, keith richards will never die
May 13, 2008 12:49:52 PM

Vision of the end of the world:

Keith Richards stands alone in a barren, desolate wasteland. He contemplatively chews on a cockroach as he watches the sun expand to envelop the Earth...
!