Who is to blame for absurd DRM and the 'death' of PC gaming?

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
YOU ARE! That's right, you are to blame, not the game producers, not the distrubutors, not consoles not anbody but your loathesome selves. I am sick and tired of hearing people whine and complain about strict DRM, bad console ports and a sluggish PC base. If you nimwits would stop PIRATING other peoples hard work and started paying for some of these games we wouldn't be in the situation that we are today. Don't give me any bologna about the cost of PC games, you have review sites to tell you how good or bad a game is, you don't need to 'try then buy'. Use your brains, if the game gets a 8 or > then drop 50 bucks on it, if it is a 7 or < then don't buy it! OR if you are legitmately strapped for cash wait a year till its 20 bucks. All these scenarios do not require you to pirate the game. Don't tell me that you can't afford it, we live in the blessed UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, the poorest of poor are still well off and can still buy a lousy computer game. You selfish little snobs need to realize that PC gaming is plummeting because of YOUR actions.

HERE's how it works:

Developer makes game
You people pirate the game
Developer makes insane DRM
Legit customers get pissed, turn to console
You people hack game w/ strict DRM
Developer gets pissed
Developer stops making PC games/turns to console
PC GAMING DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF is wrong with you people!? You know who I'm talking to, you inbreds who haven't figured out how much pirating has hurt PC gaming and will eventually hurt YOURSELVES.
What will you do when there are no more(good) PC games to pirate, because nobody makes them anymore ?? I could easily pirate games as much as anybody else here, but I DONT DO IT. I have never bought a game that I don't like, because I don't have mental problems, I can read reviews and make well informed decisions on my purcahses. If I could find every single one of you and beat you I would, this practice has to end today!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
There are also public demos, betas, etc.. look at Crysis, there was multiplayer beta (which was somewhat hard to get into unless you suscribed to FP), and the demo, the game didn't really change at all in terms of gameplay or performance from beta-demo-retail.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
I was going to give this thread a seriously reply, but just looking at his icon it's pretty obvious this guy is a troll and looking for attention. There are like 6 different threads on piracy where we've made argument after argument, many people have agreed with one another's arguments on some level, and it's, at least in my opinion, been a fairly productive discussion. Then you come on here and vomit the same ignorant nonsense that someone with no real insight on the situation would spew. Just morally self-righteous and ignorant. I say good day to you sir!

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Whatever buddy, I wouldn't put it past you to be one of the pirates that I advise to. The reason for this post is becasue nobody is owning up to the real blame, the people who pirate the software. Leave my avatar out of this, almost all of my posts on Toms are serious, and meant to help others or recieve help myself. Don't feel presured to post again on this topic, good day.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

You bring nothing new or interesting to the discussion of piracy. I BELIEVE I SAID GOOD DAY!
cat_tophat.jpg

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Really, did you expect this thread to change ANYBODY'S mind?

If not then it is blatant trolling
If so then you are blatantly delusional.

one does not play the blame game to endorse constructive conversation about a controversial topic. They do it to make themselves feel better and belittle someone else. In this particular case you called out everyone.

I don't even pirate and I felt accosted.

I will admit that I understand the reason developers and publishers have instituted harsh DRM, but by the same token enough is enough and they need to realize that they are harming their target audience as much as piracy is if not moreso.

Now in the future, please make constructive critical arguments in existing threads on topics in which there are so many and try to rein in the self righteous fury a bit. It is not a good way to win friends or influence people.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Well maybe I'm ticked off that nobody else around here is willing to blame the true culprits...which are the computer enthusiasts. Do you all REALLY think that I expected positive feedback from my rant? Of course not, I called out everyone, because you ARE to blame. I see too many people willing to throw the accusation elsewhere, probably for fear of what is happeng in this thread right now: the messanger gets burned and the practice of illegal piracy continues.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

I'm not trying to change minds here, I am accusing you of what you are doing wrong, and I expect you to defend yourselves such as you have done. Just by your response I can see the wheels have turned in your head, if even slightly, so in my mind I have made a 'constructive critical argument' afterall.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Actually, misguided crusade aside, you are not saying anything that hasn't been said before and several times in other threads. You think you have a monopoly on the idea that it is the Pirates' faults?

Also, just how do you get off blaming the non pirates who support reasonable DRM and object to piracy as an ethical shortcut for the problem? You blame all computer enthusiasts for the failings of the entire industry? What kind of small world do you live in?

Few people on these forums are saying that the pirates are blameless. However, we the HONEST CONSUMERS are getting fed up with the DRM tactics that consistently fail to stop the pirates and are creating ever increasing problems for HONEST USAGE. Darn right we will complain. The pirates have no reason to complain about DRM. They don't ever have to deal with it except the few who view it as an entertaining challenge to defeat in record time.

The pirates are partially to blame for this mess, but the companies are the only individual entities that have any power to stop the endless cycle they have gotten themselves in. Therefore they are the ones who get the focused attention from many of us.

Again, every point made in this thread has been made elsewhere many times, even on threads that are still on the first page.

Though you are now a self admitted troll based on the fact that you posted an inflammatory redundant thread that you knew going in would not change anyone's minds. Good day.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

And again the wheels in your mind turn, very good.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

So, DRM sucks but it the pirates fault god dammit. The Game companies are blameless!!

Isn't that rather like saying that its your wife's fault if you beat her because she naggs you too much?

Given that DRM is completely ineffective at stopping piracy the only conclusion I can draw about it is that the games companies just want to piss off their customers.

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

I agree 100% and am upset the new Star Wars game and GTA iv are not available on PC. And this 3 install limit coming to Spore and Mass Effect is crap. It's enough to make anyone not buy the game. Pettion EA here.
http://www.petitiononline.com/copyprot/

And lastly, thanks pirates...we owe it all to you!!!!!

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

The truth is, you are partly correct. However, this is because history has shown us that you can't change some peoples ways, you can't make make pirating stop, software pirates are more abundant than ever before. And I just wanted to make a thread that put the ENTIRE blame on the pirates. The truth is (AMDFanGirl) there are probably FAR more pirates on this site than anybody else here can imagine. Most people here are computer enthusiasts with hardware and software skills. Now tell me, who is more likely to know how to pirate a game, a casual gamer who barely knows what a computer consists of, or an enthusiast who knows the ins and outs of computers and their software. Try explaining a torrent to an everyday guy and you will see what I mean.

Really, take a second to think about that.

Pretty much I wanted to give a big 'screw you' to all the pirates. :pfff: And I feel like I have accomplished that.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
I wonder what my coworkers would say if I just had that as my desktop at work. "Hey did you take a look at the new repo--oh... umm... hmm..."

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007

LOL....I did that to a friend once, I set his computer desktop to this gay angel picture (tiled of course) and when he came back.... it was a kodak moment.

sneakyfcknrusky

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I don't think pc gaming is dead just in erm hibernation til the consoles can't make any more good games. Anyway for piracy I usualy download the demo, if I like it I download the game, If the full game doesn't suck I buy it. I do it with all my games and I would say it wasn't wrong.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
So you do the 'try then buy' approach, well... how often do you play thru the ENTIRE game and then say "Ok, now im gonna go buy it". Probably not too often. Also, even if you later bought the game, you are still bloating the number of illegal downloads that a game has to face. The devs look at how many times it has been pirated and go by that number, how are they going to know that you bought the game at a later time? They won't know, and they assume the game was only pirated. SO even if you ended up doing the 'right' thing later on, you still did the 'wrong' thing earlier. When you go to a movie and the movie sucks, you still have to pay. Whether you feel that's fair or not, that is how people make their profits sometimes. Like I said in my very first post: There are many places that give games ratings, there are also demos that you can try, so that you can be well informed to purchase the game or not, trying it to make sure it doesn't "suck" is a lazy exscuse that has to be dropped.