How can I tell if EVDO service is being deployed?

Last response: in Network Providers
May 31, 2004 10:08:09 PM

Lately I have been seeing quite a number of new (similar looking) cell
towers being erected around my area (Hillsboro Oregon which is part of the
Portland metro area). I have been trying to figure out which provider might
be doing this? Many of them appear to be power pole replacement towers
(i.e. remove a wood pole and replace it with a new steel tower topped with a
cell site). The coolest one is where they replaced a dual-wood-pole tower
(for a very high voltage line) with a dual steel tower with one set of three
antenna's on each tower. I assume that for each sector they use one antenna
on each tower for diversity (although they are farther apart than you see on
a typical cell tower).

I am curious if they are part of Verizon's EVDO deployment (or does Verizon
just upgrade gear in existing towers to deploy EVDO)?

Other possibilities include ATT 1900mhz GSM...

Thoughts?

-Eric

More about : evdo service deployed

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 3:06:03 AM

So I got curious this evening where all the towers I can hit from my house
are located and I went out driving. As it turns out I am smack in the
middle of about four different Verizon towers. Even though I only get
about -94db of signal here in my place I still never have dropped calls
(gotta love soft handoffs!).

I also went and checked on the two towers that I have recently seen erected.
It turns out one of them is a new VoiceStream tower http://tinyurl.com/3x2dy
and the other is a new ATT tower (must be to plug a hole in 1900mhz service
I am guessing).

So I was wrong about some other provider moving into the area. Just
existing providers doing more buildouts.

-Eric

"Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message
> Lately I have been seeing quite a number of new (similar looking) cell
> towers being erected around my area (Hillsboro Oregon which is part of the
> Portland metro area). I have been trying to figure out which provider
might
> be doing this? Many of them appear to be power pole replacement towers
> (i.e. remove a wood pole and replace it with a new steel tower topped with
> cell site). The coolest one is where they replaced a dual-wood-pole tower
> (for a very high voltage line) with a dual steel tower with one set of
three
> antenna's on each tower. I assume that for each sector they use one
antenna
> on each tower for diversity (although they are farther apart than you see
on
> a typical cell tower).
>
> I am curious if they are part of Verizon's EVDO deployment (or does
Verizon
> just upgrade gear in existing towers to deploy EVDO)?
>
> Other possibilities include ATT 1900mhz GSM...
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Eric

June 1, 2004 6:39:39 PM

Just curious if this antenna tower mapping info is available in a searchable
online database somewhere? I'd love to find out who/what is on the tower
near our office complex...

Thanks,
Paul

> So I got curious this evening where all the towers I can hit from my house
> are located and I went out driving. As it turns out I am smack in the
> middle of about four different Verizon towers. Even though I only get
> about -94db of signal here in my place I still never have dropped calls
> (gotta love soft handoffs!).
>
> I also went and checked on the two towers that I have recently seen
erected.
> It turns out one of them is a new VoiceStream tower
http://tinyurl.com/3x2dy
> and the other is a new ATT tower (must be to plug a hole in 1900mhz
service
> I am guessing).
>
> So I was wrong about some other provider moving into the area. Just
> existing providers doing more buildouts.
>
> -Eric
>
> "Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message
> > Lately I have been seeing quite a number of new (similar looking) cell
> > towers being erected around my area (Hillsboro Oregon which is part of
the
> > Portland metro area). I have been trying to figure out which provider
> might
> > be doing this? Many of them appear to be power pole replacement towers
> > (i.e. remove a wood pole and replace it with a new steel tower topped
with
> > cell site). The coolest one is where they replaced a dual-wood-pole
tower
> > (for a very high voltage line) with a dual steel tower with one set of
> three
> > antenna's on each tower. I assume that for each sector they use one
> antenna
> > on each tower for diversity (although they are farther apart than you
see
> on
> > a typical cell tower).
> >
> > I am curious if they are part of Verizon's EVDO deployment (or does
> Verizon
> > just upgrade gear in existing towers to deploy EVDO)?
> >
> > Other possibilities include ATT 1900mhz GSM...
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > -Eric

June 2, 2004 3:04:11 AM

Well I am not 100% sure about this, but from other peoples posts apparently
not all towers are in the FCC database.

The way I found that specific tower in the FCC database was that the FCC
tower ID was on a placard right out in front. I simply typed it in and it
came up.

Some towers I have seen have signs about who to contact in case of emergency
that will frequently tell you whose tower it is.

-Eric

"Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Just curious if this antenna tower mapping info is available in a
searchable
> online database somewhere? I'd love to find out who/what is on the tower
> near our office complex...
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
June 2, 2004 12:59:26 PM

> Well I am not 100% sure about this, but from other peoples posts
apparently
> not all towers are in the FCC database.
>
> The way I found that specific tower in the FCC database was that the FCC
> tower ID was on a placard right out in front. I simply typed it in and it
> came up.
>
> Some towers I have seen have signs about who to contact in case of
emergency
> that will frequently tell you whose tower it is.

The best is a nearby (non-VZW) tower where the ground elevation is ~ 750'.
The sign gives lat/lon and states the tower height as:

"200' MSL, 965' AGL"

!