How can I tell if EVDO service is being deployed?

Lately I have been seeing quite a number of new (similar looking) cell
towers being erected around my area (Hillsboro Oregon which is part of the
Portland metro area). I have been trying to figure out which provider might
be doing this? Many of them appear to be power pole replacement towers
(i.e. remove a wood pole and replace it with a new steel tower topped with a
cell site). The coolest one is where they replaced a dual-wood-pole tower
(for a very high voltage line) with a dual steel tower with one set of three
antenna's on each tower. I assume that for each sector they use one antenna
on each tower for diversity (although they are farther apart than you see on
a typical cell tower).

I am curious if they are part of Verizon's EVDO deployment (or does Verizon
just upgrade gear in existing towers to deploy EVDO)?

Other possibilities include ATT 1900mhz GSM...

Thoughts?

-Eric
4 answers Last reply
More about evdo service deployed

    So I got curious this evening where all the towers I can hit from my house
    are located and I went out driving. As it turns out I am smack in the
    middle of about four different Verizon towers. Even though I only get
    about -94db of signal here in my place I still never have dropped calls
    (gotta love soft handoffs!).

    I also went and checked on the two towers that I have recently seen erected.
    It turns out one of them is a new VoiceStream tower http://tinyurl.com/3x2dy
    and the other is a new ATT tower (must be to plug a hole in 1900mhz service
    I am guessing).

    So I was wrong about some other provider moving into the area. Just
    existing providers doing more buildouts.

    -Eric

    "Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message
    > Lately I have been seeing quite a number of new (similar looking) cell
    > towers being erected around my area (Hillsboro Oregon which is part of the
    > Portland metro area). I have been trying to figure out which provider
    might
    > be doing this? Many of them appear to be power pole replacement towers
    > (i.e. remove a wood pole and replace it with a new steel tower topped with
    > cell site). The coolest one is where they replaced a dual-wood-pole tower
    > (for a very high voltage line) with a dual steel tower with one set of
    three
    > antenna's on each tower. I assume that for each sector they use one
    antenna
    > on each tower for diversity (although they are farther apart than you see
    on
    > a typical cell tower).
    >
    > I am curious if they are part of Verizon's EVDO deployment (or does
    Verizon
    > just upgrade gear in existing towers to deploy EVDO)?
    >
    > Other possibilities include ATT 1900mhz GSM...
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > -Eric

    Just curious if this antenna tower mapping info is available in a searchable
    online database somewhere? I'd love to find out who/what is on the tower
    near our office complex...

    Thanks,
    Paul

    > So I got curious this evening where all the towers I can hit from my house
    > are located and I went out driving. As it turns out I am smack in the
    > middle of about four different Verizon towers. Even though I only get
    > about -94db of signal here in my place I still never have dropped calls
    > (gotta love soft handoffs!).
    >
    > I also went and checked on the two towers that I have recently seen
    erected.
    > It turns out one of them is a new VoiceStream tower
    http://tinyurl.com/3x2dy
    > and the other is a new ATT tower (must be to plug a hole in 1900mhz
    service
    > I am guessing).
    >
    > So I was wrong about some other provider moving into the area. Just
    > existing providers doing more buildouts.
    >
    > -Eric
    >
    > "Eric Rosenberry" <erics@R3MOVErosenberry.org> wrote in message
    > > Lately I have been seeing quite a number of new (similar looking) cell
    > > towers being erected around my area (Hillsboro Oregon which is part of
    the
    > > Portland metro area). I have been trying to figure out which provider
    > might
    > > be doing this? Many of them appear to be power pole replacement towers
    > > (i.e. remove a wood pole and replace it with a new steel tower topped
    with
    > > cell site). The coolest one is where they replaced a dual-wood-pole
    tower
    > > (for a very high voltage line) with a dual steel tower with one set of
    > three
    > > antenna's on each tower. I assume that for each sector they use one
    > antenna
    > > on each tower for diversity (although they are farther apart than you
    see
    > on
    > > a typical cell tower).
    > >
    > > I am curious if they are part of Verizon's EVDO deployment (or does
    > Verizon
    > > just upgrade gear in existing towers to deploy EVDO)?
    > >
    > > Other possibilities include ATT 1900mhz GSM...
    > >
    > > Thoughts?
    > >
    > > -Eric

    Well I am not 100% sure about this, but from other peoples posts apparently
    not all towers are in the FCC database.

    The way I found that specific tower in the FCC database was that the FCC
    tower ID was on a placard right out in front. I simply typed it in and it
    came up.

    Some towers I have seen have signs about who to contact in case of emergency
    that will frequently tell you whose tower it is.

    -Eric

    > Well I am not 100% sure about this, but from other peoples posts
    apparently
    > not all towers are in the FCC database.
    >
    > The way I found that specific tower in the FCC database was that the FCC
    > tower ID was on a placard right out in front. I simply typed it in and it
    > came up.
    >
    > Some towers I have seen have signs about who to contact in case of
    emergency
    > that will frequently tell you whose tower it is.

    The best is a nearby (non-VZW) tower where the ground elevation is ~ 750'.
    The sign gives lat/lon and states the tower height as:

    "200' MSL, 965' AGL"

    > -Eric
    >
    > "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > Just curious if this antenna tower mapping info is available in a
    > searchable
    > > online database somewhere? I'd love to find out who/what is on the
    tower
    > > near our office complex...
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul