Virtual Memory Too Low / Page File ?

The Page File settings were 336MB min _ 672MB max and Windows said the
Virtual memory minimum was too low so I increased the Page File minimum from
336MB to about 448 MB and max to 896 MB .
Then I was told the Minimum Virtual memory was too low again and saw the
PageFile used was 492MB's so I increased the Page File minimum to 512MB and
the Maximum PageFile to 1000MB .
This was after I was using a game demo that plays from the Harddrive and I
think it using Virtual memory to run because the computer needs more memory
for that game .
I am using a 256MB's memory stick .
Would you think I am going overboard raising the Page File that much , I
think that's Virtual Memory .
And I shifted the Page file to a second Harddrive that had no other data on
it .
5 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory page file

    Spend a few dollars and buy a new memory stick, at least add
    another 256 or even a 512. Memory is cheap these days, 15
    years ago RAM cost about $200 a megabyte, so that 512 stick
    that costs $60 bucks today is a real bargain.
    The page file is virtual memory, reserved space on the hard
    drive, that pretends to be RAM. But it is slow.

    See http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm for the scoop on how
    and why virtual memory works

    "poobear" <poobear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | The Page File settings were 336MB min _ 672MB max and
    Windows said the
    | Virtual memory minimum was too low so I increased the Page
    File minimum from
    | 336MB to about 448 MB and max to 896 MB .
    | Then I was told the Minimum Virtual memory was too low
    again and saw the
    | PageFile used was 492MB's so I increased the Page File
    minimum to 512MB and
    | the Maximum PageFile to 1000MB .
    | This was after I was using a game demo that plays from
    the Harddrive and I
    | think it using Virtual memory to run because the computer
    needs more memory
    | for that game .
    | I am using a 256MB's memory stick .
    | Would you think I am going overboard raising the Page
    File that much , I
    | think that's Virtual Memory .
    | And I shifted the Page file to a second Harddrive that had
    no other data on
    | it .

    Hi

    Please have a look at the following article by Alex Nichol:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "poobear" <poobear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The Page File settings were 336MB min _ 672MB max and Windows said the
    > Virtual memory minimum was too low so I increased the Page File minimum
    > from
    > 336MB to about 448 MB and max to 896 MB .
    > Then I was told the Minimum Virtual memory was too low again and saw
    > the
    > PageFile used was 492MB's so I increased the Page File minimum to 512MB
    > and
    > the Maximum PageFile to 1000MB .
    > This was after I was using a game demo that plays from the Harddrive and
    > think it using Virtual memory to run because the computer needs more
    > memory
    > for that game .
    > I am using a 256MB's memory stick .
    > Would you think I am going overboard raising the Page File that much , I
    > think that's Virtual Memory .
    > And I shifted the Page file to a second Harddrive that had no other data
    > on
    > it .

    The Best Settings are:

    1.)Defragmentation
    2.)Increase your Paging File
    3.)Move your Paging File to other Drive and Increase it
    3.)Add more RAM

    --
    The Best IT Community Portal!
    www.helpline4it.com
    "poobear" <poobear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The Page File settings were 336MB min _ 672MB max and Windows said the
    > Virtual memory minimum was too low so I increased the Page File minimum
    from
    > 336MB to about 448 MB and max to 896 MB .
    > Then I was told the Minimum Virtual memory was too low again and saw
    the
    > PageFile used was 492MB's so I increased the Page File minimum to 512MB
    and
    > the Maximum PageFile to 1000MB .
    > This was after I was using a game demo that plays from the Harddrive and
    > think it using Virtual memory to run because the computer needs more
    memory
    > for that game .
    > I am using a 256MB's memory stick .
    > Would you think I am going overboard raising the Page File that much , I
    > think that's Virtual Memory .
    > And I shifted the Page file to a second Harddrive that had no other data
    on
    > it .

    Add RAM.

    "poobear" <poobear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The Page File settings were 336MB min _ 672MB max and Windows said the
    > Virtual memory minimum was too low so I increased the Page File minimum
    > from
    > 336MB to about 448 MB and max to 896 MB .
    > Then I was told the Minimum Virtual memory was too low again and saw
    > the
    > PageFile used was 492MB's so I increased the Page File minimum to 512MB
    > and
    > the Maximum PageFile to 1000MB .
    > This was after I was using a game demo that plays from the Harddrive and
    > think it using Virtual memory to run because the computer needs more
    > memory
    > for that game .
    > I am using a 256MB's memory stick .
    > Would you think I am going overboard raising the Page File that much , I
    > think that's Virtual Memory .
    > And I shifted the Page file to a second Harddrive that had no other data
    > on
    > it .

    That's a good article , I found it very helpful thankyou .
    I'm going to look read it again .
    And increasing the page file minimum and maximum seems to have solved the
    problem I had with a demo game I installed on the harddrive and could only
    play from the harddrive , I mean without the CD in the drive .
    The game seems to be playing better each time I play it .
    Thankyou

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please have a look at the following article by Alex Nichol:
    >
    > "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "poobear" <poobear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The Page File settings were 336MB min _ 672MB max and Windows said the
    > > Virtual memory minimum was too low so I increased the Page File minimum
    > > from
    > > 336MB to about 448 MB and max to 896 MB .
    > > Then I was told the Minimum Virtual memory was too low again and saw
    > > the
    > > PageFile used was 492MB's so I increased the Page File minimum to 512MB
    > > and
    > > the Maximum PageFile to 1000MB .
    > > This was after I was using a game demo that plays from the Harddrive and
    > > think it using Virtual memory to run because the computer needs more
    > > memory
    > > for that game .
    > > I am using a 256MB's memory stick .
    > > Would you think I am going overboard raising the Page File that much , I
    > > think that's Virtual Memory .
    > > And I shifted the Page file to a second Harddrive that had no other data
    > > on
    > > it .

Virtual Memory Pagefile Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP