Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard decision help needed.

Last response: in Motherboards
December 31, 2002 12:15:46 PM

I'm going to be upgrading my computer in 2 or 4 weeks (I'm getting tired of the bugs in my MSI K7T 266 Pro2RU)

So, I'm looking at getting an A7N8X board.
Problem is, one of my coworkers told me that he had just gotten one and tried to get it to work, and it took him several hours of fiddling and he still couldn't get it to work right. He wasn't getting good memory bandwidth etc.

So, should I still give this one a shot? Or should I go for an A7V8X, or something else?

I am running a 266FSB athlon, and am going to wait for the 400FSB athlons before doing my next big processor upgrade.

Any advise here (please back it up with details, I want sucess stories and horror stories please)
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2002 3:40:31 PM

A7N8X is superior in every way to the A7V8X, your coworker must have a configuration issue, perhaps you could help him fix his?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 31, 2002 4:06:24 PM

lol....sorry for the friend....

The asus board is a great board but I personally would opt for the epox Epox 8RDA+, basically because of its supreme overclocability...
Related resources
January 1, 2003 11:31:47 AM

LOL, actually, I found out from another co-worker that it was that exactly.

but I'm the least experienced in the group where I work, so, I don't think he'd have me fix his.
January 1, 2003 11:33:22 AM

Thanks, but I don't overclock. I'm looking for reliability and stability rather than overclockability. And, as far as I know, ASUS tends to be the brand to get that from (actually, Asus and Tyan, but Tyan doesn't make nForce boards)
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2003 5:07:03 PM

I don't have as much faith in Asus as I used to, but the A7N8X is THE top board.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!