Still unable to copy files to CD-R using WinXP copy feature

October 14, 2004 7:49:43 PM

I'm still having the same problem I wrote about before.
I cannot copy files to a CD-R using the WinXP CD copy feature.
I still get a error message saying there is something wrong with the CD-
R media, yet I can still use that same media with Nero to burn a CD.
Looking in the site that was recommended previously about trouble
shooting does not address the problem I am experiencing. nor does it
suggest where else to look for help with this particular problem.

Any help would be most apprecited.
TIA.

GJP

>> GJP <GJP> wrote:
>>
>>>When using WinXP (SP1) trying to copy files over to a CD-R gives me a
>>>error message, something about error while writing.
>>
>> See "How to Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data to a
>> CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP"
>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129).

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 7:49:44 PM

Check the properties of your CD-RW > Recording (Tab ), make sure that it is
enabled.

Andre
<GJP> wrote in message news:Xns9582775C750B8GJP@216.168.3.44...
> I'm still having the same problem I wrote about before.
> I cannot copy files to a CD-R using the WinXP CD copy feature.
> I still get a error message saying there is something wrong with the CD-
> R media, yet I can still use that same media with Nero to burn a CD.
> Looking in the site that was recommended previously about trouble
> shooting does not address the problem I am experiencing. nor does it
> suggest where else to look for help with this particular problem.
>
> Any help would be most apprecited.
> TIA.
>
> GJP

>>> See "How to Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data to a
>>> CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP"
>>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129).

October 14, 2004 8:19:31 PM

Can't help as I have similar problems. In my case I have found that after
Nero or XP say NO for one reason or other I can sometimes have Nero show
"more,disk info" what is on disk and then for some reason it will burn it
next try. Windows explorer never has shown any disk including blanks not
being 100% written
DVD burning is worse, nothing ever seems to work the same as previous try
and it turns into a big hassle.
GOOD LUCK
Mel
<GJP> wrote in message news:Xns9582775C750B8GJP@216.168.3.44...
> I'm still having the same problem I wrote about before.
> I cannot copy files to a CD-R using the WinXP CD copy feature.
> I still get a error message saying there is something wrong with the CD-
> R media, yet I can still use that same media with Nero to burn a CD.
> Looking in the site that was recommended previously about trouble
> shooting does not address the problem I am experiencing. nor does it
> suggest where else to look for help with this particular problem.
>
> Any help would be most apprecited.
> TIA.
>
> GJP

>>> See "How to Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data to a
>>> CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP"
>>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129).

October 15, 2004 2:50:19 AM

My question is why do you want to use XP's software when you have Nero?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

<GJP> wrote in message news:Xns9582775C750B8GJP@216.168.3.44...
> I'm still having the same problem I wrote about before.
> I cannot copy files to a CD-R using the WinXP CD copy feature.
> I still get a error message saying there is something wrong with the CD-
> R media, yet I can still use that same media with Nero to burn a CD.
> Looking in the site that was recommended previously about trouble
> shooting does not address the problem I am experiencing. nor does it
> suggest where else to look for help with this particular problem.
>
> Any help would be most apprecited.
> TIA.
>
> GJP

>>> See "How to Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data to a
>>> CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP"
>>> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324129).

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 7:05:48 PM

Yep checked that out, it's enabled.
Still no go.

Thanks for the reply.

GJP

"Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Check the properties of your CD-RW > Recording (Tab ), make sure that
> it is enabled.
>
> Andre
><GJP> wrote in message news:Xns9582775C750B8GJP@216.168.3.44...
>> I'm still having the same problem I wrote about before.
>> I cannot copy files to a CD-R using the WinXP CD copy feature.
>> I still get a error message saying there is something wrong with the
>> CD- R media, yet I can still use that same media with Nero to burn a
>> CD. Looking in the site that was recommended previously about trouble
>> shooting does not address the problem I am experiencing. nor does it
>> suggest where else to look for help with this particular problem.
>>
>> Any help would be most apprecited.
>> TIA.
>>
>> GJP

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 7:17:06 PM

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in

> My question is why do you want to use XP's software when you have
> Nero?

Harry I have been asked that before.(G)
Tell me this, it's supposed to work, it's part of WinXP why would I not
want it to work? If everything that WinXP is supposed to do has to be
done by some other piece of software then why should we pay for WINXP,
heck lets go back to good old DOS?(G) I find being able to just "send"
files to the CD-RW convenient rather than having to fire up Nero or
someother piece of software.Besides the convenience it bothers me that
something was working and now doesn't work and I want to know why, I'm
left with the feeling, what else is going to go wrong?.

Thanks for your reply.

GJP
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 1:20:34 AM

Ok. Granted if something is supposed to work it is supposed to work. I'll
give you that. In fact I'll bet XP's recording function did work just fine
when XP was first installed. However you chose to install third party
software. Have you thought that perhaps the problem you are seeing is a
result of the third party software installation and not a problem that is
native to XP? Be aware that Nero will disable XP's CD burning function when
Nero is installed. You will need to manually re-enable XP's recording
function if you want to try and use it. But be forewarned that the two
sometimes don't get along well together. That is not an XP issue so much as
it is a Nero issue.What version of Nero did you install? Some versions were
quite buggy. Uninstall Nero. Reboot. Go into your burner
Properties->Recording Tab and enable Recording on this drive. See if it now
works. If so and you still want to use Nero try downloading the latest
version and see if that helps. But remember that once you install Nero it
will disable XP's function again.

The feeling of "What else will go wrong?" is one you will have to learn to
live with if you choose to run computers. It is never a matter of "if
something will go wrong." It is a matter of "when will something go wrong?"
That is why we are always advised to backup, backup, backup important data.
That is why XP comes with System Restore and why earlier versions of windows
gave us way to recover the registry. There is even a ton of software that is
created just for the purpose of creating system backups, file backups and to
troubleshoot.

Finally, and I do not mean to be condescending, but the majority of problems
with Windows XP can be traced back to either third party software or
improper management by the user.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

<GJP> wrote in message news:Xns958371D529CFCGJP@216.168.3.44...
> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in
>
>> My question is why do you want to use XP's software when you have
>> Nero?
>>

> Harry I have been asked that before.(G)
> Tell me this, it's supposed to work, it's part of WinXP why would I not
> want it to work? If everything that WinXP is supposed to do has to be
> done by some other piece of software then why should we pay for WINXP,
> heck lets go back to good old DOS?(G) I find being able to just "send"
> files to the CD-RW convenient rather than having to fire up Nero or
> someother piece of software.Besides the convenience it bothers me that
> something was working and now doesn't work and I want to know why, I'm
> left with the feeling, what else is going to go wrong?.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> GJP

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 9:43:29 PM

You are correct XP's recording did work fine when it was first installed
and continued to do so after Nero was installed, as a matter of fact Nero
was installed on this coputer when I purchased it in July of this year.
It continued to function correctly after 2 upgrades to Nero...I think it
stopped working when the third INCD upgrade was installed about the middle
of last month...I can't be sure becuase I didn't check the XP recording
function till sometime after that.
I have also tried the uninstall of Nero and reinstall all to no avail, I
have left INCD uninstalled and still no change.I have done all the things
you suggest to no avail.
Thank you for taking the time to to reply to some of my concerns, it is
appreciated even though I can not agree with you on some things like why
the problems occur...but hey that's what life is about , differences in
opinion.(G)

GJP

!