Status
Not open for further replies.

jaes

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I have here a Brand New, never installed ATI 5850 HD. The box has been opened once, by me to verify its contents.

It also comes with the Free Dirt2 Game.

Looking to sell for $350 + actual shipping costs (you choose USPS, FedEx, UPS, I imagine ground being around $13?). I am in the Las Vegas area, so if by chance you are in LV, can do a drop off also.

I bought 2 of them, but decided on sticking with only 1 card for now, so just looking to get what I paid for it.

If requested, I can take a picture of the box, contents along with written username for verification (I would already do it, but I need to get a digital camera first).

I have an eBay account with seller rating that can be provided also (100% rating, no negatives)

Link to card on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857

hunter1801

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
$350 + shipping for an opened 5850? I payed $333 for mine including tax and shipping from Newegg. Sounds like you might be taking advantage of the low stock right now.

Subtotal: $299.99
Tax: $24.75
UPS 3 DAYS: $8.50
Order Total: $333.24

jaes

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I opened box because I bought it off ebay and wanted to verify contents (i just opened box to look, never took any parts out or anything like that), not trying to make an extra buck (again, looking to get what I paid for, so no profit for me whatsoever).

I would understand if I opened the box and installed the card and then decided not to use it, but it is still brand new.

And yes, you can get them off newegg if you are lucky to grab them when they are in stock, even though they have gone up in price also ($309.99) and could probably still go up.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

All we have is your word that the card is new. I am not looking to buy the card but in all honestly good luck trying to sell it open box for over retail price.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I have to agree with the guys here. When you order a product, whether you open it or not, it becomes used goods and needs to be priced accordingly. You link to a brand new one for $310 and then ask for $350 for a used one...you can see how that looks, right?

Depreciation is a PITA.

bliq

Distinguished
I think one of the forum rules is not to thread crap, no? If he can sell it for that much, then good for him. If not, the market will force the price to come down. I say don't worry about it. @OP, good luck. I've sold used stuff for more than new- it all depends on how much demand there is for an item. It's not against the rules to take advantage of supply and demand- that's the market. and so far, as to the quality of people on this forum- their word has been good enough for every transaction I've done so far.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

It is also not against forum rules to advise people to make informed purchases. As a matter of fact this is the whole point of the board "Deals!" informing people not to over pay, and where to look for cheaper prices.

I am all for supply/demand price variations and a capitalist profiteering idiosyncrasy but I AM NOT for recommending an over priced open box product or standing idly by while someone makes an uninformed decision they may regret later.

G

This place is classified. If you read some of the comments, they are directed toward the original post in negative light. Who are you to recommend? What you guys doing is thread crap.

This place is classified. If you read some of the comments, they are directed toward the original post in negative light.
There isn't exactly a way to reply to the post in a positive light considering the situation will come at the expense of others.

Who are you to recommend? What you guys doing is thread crap.
We are people who are relatively knowledgeable regarding the value of new and used graphics cards.
What we are doing is stating that an offer is unreasonable.

And I haven't seen you make any helpful remarks besides criticizing others for making criticism.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This place is classified. If you read some of the comments, they are directed toward the original post in negative light. Who are you to recommend? What you guys doing is thread crap.

All it takes is one eye.
Tom's Hardware > Forum > Deals > Classifieds > FS: NEW Sapphire ATI 5850 HD

Guess where Classifieds is? Exactly.

Classified is to sell your stuff, profit or not profit. However do understand that the rules DO NOT protect you from relatively knowledgeable people posting their comparisons on the pricing. This is not thread crap it is informing consumers.

The following statements are purely for explanatory purposes, they do not state my particular thoughts, or face market prices.
Crap Threading:
"HD 5850!? hahahaha why would you buy that weak card get an HD 5970"

Informing consumers, two statements:
"HD 5850 goes for $300 in other retail stores, new in box sealed. Compared to Open box for $350."

See the difference? I hope so.

bliq

Distinguished
informed response or not, it's still thread crapping. It's the *opinion* of a person or persons that something is too expensive *for them*. *they* would not pay that price. But someone else might, and as a seller, you want the best deal you can get, just like a buyer wants the best deal they can get. And the price that gets paid is usually somewhere in the middle, as determined by the market for such an item. It sounds like simplistic economics but it is pretty effective. If you pay the asking price, you are likely to have paid more than the seller was willing to sell for. If your item sold really fast, then you probably priced the item too cheap. If you dickered a little bit on price and got pretty close to your asking price, that's probably pretty close to the price the market would bear.

Most people on here are relatively knowledgeable so they would know to do a little comparison shopping and pricing. If not, well, caveat emptor. If everyone else is sold out, then even at higher than list, this is the best deal. If there's a cheaper used or new unit out there and in stock, then they should buy that one. If the price is more than the buyer is willing to pay, then the buyer should wait until stock stabilizes. There's usually a premium for having the latest stuff.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Sigh. You misused Supply and Demand, I won't get into it.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Bottom line: If you want to be an opportunist and try to take advantage of Tom's members...GO ELSEWHERE! If you want to defend the opportunists, then go with them.

Enuf said!

bliq

Distinguished

I'm sorry, but your two statements are extremes and not real world examples. what about:

"HD5850 for $350? you can get that in stores or online for $300 when they have it".

Well, actually, at that moment, maybe you *can't* get it online, or if you can, maybe the choices available are not that one that costs $300. That to me is still thread crapping as it makes it less likely for the seller to be able to sell their goods even though since all the stores are out of stock, that premium is justified. And that, to me, is what thread crapping is all about- Making a seller less likely to sell their stuff. Leave that to the market. I guess it's a gray area, I know people want to help, and they have good intentions. I usually try to stay out of challenging pricing unless the OP asks for feedback (I usually ask for that, it makes it easier to get close the the market price- I'm basically asking for a consensus of what people consider a reasonable price) for this very reason. I figure if the price is too high, it won't sell anyways, especially with as knowledgeable a reader base as THG has. And if it does sell, someone gets what they want at the price they were willing to pay, and the seller gets what they want. Buyer's remorse is not the seller's fault, and is the price a buyer pays for not doing due diligence. It's not up to the community at large to mess with a seller because they are looking to make a profit, or break even, or minimize their loss.

We really should give the asking price some time to see if a buyer shows up (meaning the market has borne(-sp?) a price higher than we thought it *should*) Perhaps after a day or three, offer advice like- "if it ain't selling, try posting a lower price or do a best offer type of deal".

bliq

Distinguished

ehh, maybe, but I'm an engineer. i took one econ class in college so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about in economic terms. all i'm saying is that if someone wants something bad enough, they will be willing to pay a premium. If the premium is deemed too steep then they didn't want it bad enough. deciding whether they should pay the premium or not is not for us as a community to decide.

If you do have the time, I do want to know where I went wrong by the way. I thought it made sense.

That's a bit shortsighted. And this is an interesting discussion so I think more should be said. For example, if you were trying to sell something, would you price it at a point where it's then effectively opportunistic for a buyer? where you were fairly certain that you could sell the item for more but you felt that you should accommodate the buyer's desire to pay less? No, not unless you were trying to sell something quickly.

So it's not about being an opportunist if you're the only game in town at the moment. I neither want to defend nor attack buyers nor sellers as I do both here. I just want sellers to be able to get the best deal without uninterested parties trying to force down prices instead of letting the market decide.

hunter1801

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I don't think the supply/demand argument is even the issue here. We know that the market is in low supply, and sure, people may happily pay that much. That's not the point of the first few posts. The point is to educate potential buyers as to the ACTUAL price of the card if bought new.

The way the OP stated it makes it sound as if that is the normal cost, when in fact, it is above normal cost AND it is open box AND it doesn't even include shipping. That's all that was being pointed out. Whatever potential buyer that comes across the thread should know what the price is for a brand new sealed one. Saying that they can do research on their own or that "they would know to do a little comparison shopping and pricing" is besides the point. Some people might not know, and they should not be mislead to make an uninformed decision, even if it is there fault for not informing themselves.

And I say "mislead" because something doesn't add up in those costs:

To make a $300 card cost $350, tax needs to be almost 17%, so I don't know how $350 got paid in the first place. Plus the OP mentions that you will also have to pay about $13 for shipping. He states that he is trying to get back what he paid, but I don't see how he paid about $363 dollars. I could be wrong and maybe he paid a higher price for the card, but just pointing it out TO INFORM POTENTIAL BUYERS, not to crap on a thread :p

bliq

Distinguished

I think it's pretty clear that the OP paid more than retail on ebay to get the one of the available cards at the time. That's the premium for exclusivity. as time goes by, this card loses that premium value because supply is probably going to be straightened out. it may be optimistic of the OP to think there shouldn't be a penalty for buying something you don't want but I say leave that to the market to decide at the moment.

I remember when people bought Priuses for $40k only to have them worth half that after 6 months. Yet every single one was snapped up. Do I blame the dealers for marking them up? nope. and I don't blame the buyers either-they wanted to be the only ones with a prius on their block and there's a premium to pay for that. And if a buyer had a little remorse during those heady days and wanted out of the car at the same price (or more) than they paid, they could find a buyer because there was short supply. do I blame them for that? nope. Like i said, buyer's remorse (nor fiscal responsibility) are not the seller's responsibility. I think the buyers were shortsighted but they got what they wanted at the time they wanted it and at the price they were willing to pay and the seller got what they want too.

ibleet

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

It sure looks like you're defending to me. I say if you're dumb enough to overpay for an item (which is clearly an assumption) then you should bear the burden of the loss, and not try to pass it onto some unsuspecting innocent. Two wrongs don't make a right. Admit you made a mistake, suck it up, learn from it and move on.

I say its never too early to learn about depreciation. We all endure it and it sucks, but it happens to be the nature of the beast. If as a forum, we begin to accept opportunists who come here solely to overcharge and rip off our members, then it won't be long until there is no one left.

Every other forum I'm joined to is like a family and would definitely NOT tolerate this type of nonsense! All scammers, profiteers, and opportunists are swiftly shown the door. :hello:

bliq

Distinguished
I'm not defending anyone, only wishing to see every one get a chance to make the deal they want to make, both buyers and sellers. If someone buys something, even at a premium, and they're happy with it, and the seller is happy with the price they sold at, did anyone really lose? That's all I'm getting at. At worst, a prospective buyer makes an offer and the seller accepts or refuses. In fact, a lot of times I think people post a price a little higher than they would accept knowing there will be some negotiation going on. like i said, both the seller and the buyer want to get the best deal for themselves and the market value is usually somewhere in the middle. if it sells really fast, then it was probably under market value. if it doesn't sell, then the asking price is over market value. That doesn't mean someone won't buy or sell far from the market value, whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.