30-second time shift?

I was looking at one of the three atomic clocks I have at home, (two set by
WWVB, one by internet timeserver) and noticed it was 30 seconds behind the
time on my VZW phone that is set up to use the digital signal. The atomic
clocks are all in agreement of course. Why is VZW shifting the time by 30
seconds? The last time I checked it was within a second of the correct
time. Do they reckon that the average time is more meaningful than the
current minute? Does this aberration persist everywhere in the country? I
am in San Diego.

--
Slobby Don

Slobby Don wrote:
> I was looking at one of the three atomic clocks I have at home, (two set by
> WWVB, one by internet timeserver) and noticed it was 30 seconds behind the
> time on my VZW phone that is set up to use the digital signal. The atomic
> clocks are all in agreement of course. Why is VZW shifting the time by 30
> seconds? The last time I checked it was within a second of the correct
> time. Do they reckon that the average time is more meaningful than the
> current minute? Does this aberration persist everywhere in the country? I
> am in San Diego.

In all seriousness... I suggest you buy a good wristwatch and don't depend
on a telephone system that is not under your control, to tell you the time.
You can (and I suspect you know this already) even buy a wristwatch that
synchronizes to NIST time via WWVB...

My VCR's clock is capable of being set by a time signal from the local TV
station. The time signal has never been set correctly, the TV station
claims there are technical difficulities that prevent it. The truth is,
it's not a priority for them, and they basically don't care. I suspect the
same situation applies with Verizon, yes, they want the time to be more or
less correct, but they don't care about a mere 30 second offset.

Slobby Don wrote:
> Does this aberration persist everywhere in the country?

At my house in the San Francisco Bay area, VZW is 3 seconds behind
the WWVB signal.

> I am in San Diego.

San Diego is somewhat special as it is where Qualcomm is based.
That for example is why the EVDO trials are there and DC (where
VZW is headquartered).

Roger

"Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote in message
> I was looking at one of the three atomic clocks I have at home, (two
> set by WWVB, one by internet timeserver) and noticed it was 30
> seconds behind the time on my VZW phone that is set up to use the
> digital signal. The atomic clocks are all in agreement of course.
> Why is VZW shifting the time by 30 seconds? The last time I checked
> it was within a second of the correct time. Do they reckon that the
> average time is more meaningful than the current minute? Does this
> aberration persist everywhere in the country? I am in San Diego.

If you believe the conspiracy theorists, it's to be able to bill all the
people waiting for the 9pm free time to start. This way they get 30 seconds
of prime time out of every person trying to call for free at 9 PM.

(hey, I said *if you believe the conspiracy theorists*, I don't myself, just
relaying a rumor :)

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> Slobby Don wrote:
> > Does this aberration persist everywhere in the country?
>
> At my house in the San Francisco Bay area, VZW is 3 seconds behind
> the WWVB signal.
>
> > I am in San Diego.
>
> San Diego is somewhat special as it is where Qualcomm is based.
> That for example is why the EVDO trials are there and DC (where
> VZW is headquartered).
>
> Roger

Except, of course, for the fact that Verizon Wireless is actually based
("headquartered" if you prefer) in Bedminster, NJ.

Per their own press kit (pg. 2):
http://www.verizonwireless.com/pdfs/press_kit/pressKit.pdf
--
Jason G
Marlins Win. The Gods of Baseball Smite Me Again.

Mark Olson wrote:
> Slobby Don wrote:
> I suspect the same situation applies with Verizon, yes,
> they want the time to be more or
> less correct, but they don't care about a mere 30 second offset.

I would tend to agree with that if the offset were some random number, but
in this case it is exactly 30 seconds. With a non-random offset, I suspect
it is by design. But, why?

--
Slobby Don

Just checked my 2 phones in Wichita KS. They vary from right on to 3 seconds
behind.

> Mark Olson wrote:
> > Slobby Don wrote:
> > I suspect the same situation applies with Verizon, yes,
> > they want the time to be more or
> > less correct, but they don't care about a mere 30 second offset.
>
> I would tend to agree with that if the offset were some random number, but
> in this case it is exactly 30 seconds. With a non-random offset, I
suspect
> it is by design. But, why?
>
> --
> Slobby Don

Dead on here in Portland OR.

(or at least within a second)

-Eric

"May Day" <me@you.com> wrote in message
> 3 Secs behind, Westen MA

Accurate in Wash DC.
Compared to my Stratum 1 GPS clock and NISTs time server.

http://www.time.gov

Scotty

Giambi wrote:
> Except, of covrse, for the fact that Verizon Wireless is actvally based
> ("headqvartered" if yov prefer) in Bedminster, NJ.

Yov are right, and I was very wrong. I have been trying to find the
DC connection as I have heard of other stvff they chose to roll ovt in
DC first. The FCC is definitely headqvartered in DC. There is this abovt
Verizon and DC:

http://www22.verizon.com/abovt/commvnity/dc/abovt_dc/history.html

Bell Atlantic was in NY and GTE in Conneticvt moving to Texas:

http://investor.verizon.com/profile/history/history_001.html

Looking into the history of all the companies that became Verizon/Verizon
Wireless, I can't find a single one with a connection to DC.

The only thing I did find is vnion protests:

http://www.cwa-vnion.org/Verizon/photos/030828/

Anyone have any idea what is special abovt DC to VZW?

Roger

Scott Nelson - Wash DC wrote:
> Accurate in Wash DC.
> Compared to my Stratum 1 GPS clock and NISTs time server.
>
> http://www.time.gov
>
> Scotty

I am still exactly thirty seconds fast this morning. Could it be that my
new phone, a *No*kia 3589i, rounds to the nearest minute instead of
displaying the current minute? Anyone in San Diego with an atomic clock or
elsewhere with a *No*kia 3589i?

* It's NO-ki-a, not No-KI-a*
--
Slobby Don

Slobby Don wrote:
> Scott Nelson - Wash DC wrote:
>> Accurate in Wash DC.
>> Compared to my Stratum 1 GPS clock and NISTs time server.
>>
>> http://www.time.gov
>>
>> Scotty
>
> I am still exactly thirty seconds fast this morning. Could it be that my
> new phone, a Nokia 3589i, rounds to the nearest minute instead of
> displaying the current minute? Anyone in San Diego with an atomic clock
> or elsewhere with a Nokia 3589i?
>
> It's NO-ki-a, not No-KI-a

I'm fairly certain now that it is a programming bug in the phone. A rep
from Nokia could not find any documentation on whether the time display
rounds or truncates, but they are looking into it. Would this kind of bug
more likely be firmware or software?

--
Slobby Don

ap

In article <2i2flqFhmtkiU1@uni-berlin.de>, Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com
says...
> "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote in message
> > I was looking at one of the three atomic clocks I have at home, (two
> > set by WWVB, one by internet timeserver) and noticed it was 30
> > seconds behind the time on my VZW phone that is set up to use the
> > digital signal. The atomic clocks are all in agreement of course.
> > Why is VZW shifting the time by 30 seconds? The last time I checked
> > it was within a second of the correct time. Do they reckon that the
> > average time is more meaningful than the current minute? Does this
> > aberration persist everywhere in the country? I am in San Diego.
>
> If you believe the conspiracy theorists, it's to be able to bill all the
> people waiting for the 9pm free time to start. This way they get 30 seconds
> of prime time out of every person trying to call for free at 9 PM.
>
> (hey, I said *if you believe the conspiracy theorists*, I don't myself, just
> relaying a rumor :)

Hmm..... BTW... I thought that when you place call... lets say at 8.59PM
your entire call is as peak hours..... even when you talk 5 hours.
Does enyopne know if it is true?

AP

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

(AP) wrote:
> Hmm..... BTW... I thought that when you
> place call... lets say at 8.59PM your entire call
> is as peak hours..... even when you talk 5
> hours. Does enyopne know if it is true?

Yes that is true. Even a call at 9:pm would take it out of peak minutes
supposedly, because VZW's Nights start at 9:01pm.

Eric

"AP" <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> In article <2i2flqFhmtkiU1@uni-berlin.de>, Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com
> says...
>> "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote in message
>>> I was looking at one of the three atomic clocks I have at home, (two
>>> set by WWVB, one by internet timeserver) and noticed it was 30
>>> seconds behind the time on my VZW phone that is set up to use the
>>> digital signal. The atomic clocks are all in agreement of course.
>>> Why is VZW shifting the time by 30 seconds? The last time I checked
>>> it was within a second of the correct time. Do they reckon that the
>>> average time is more meaningful than the current minute? Does this
>>> aberration persist everywhere in the country? I am in San Diego.
>>
>> If you believe the conspiracy theorists, it's to be able to bill all
>> the people waiting for the 9pm free time to start. This way they get
>> 30 seconds of prime time out of every person trying to call for free
>> at 9 PM.
>>
>> (hey, I said *if you believe the conspiracy theorists*, I don't
>> myself, just relaying a rumor :)
>>

> Hmm..... BTW... I thought that when you place call... lets say at
> 8.59PM your entire call is as peak hours..... even when you talk 5
> hours.
> Does enyopne know if it is true?
>
> AP

It depends on the market. While many of them used to charge the call as all
peak, more and more are changing to peak/non-peak.
No real way of knowing what YOUR market specifically does.

AP <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b26905810d4d9fd98977a@news.dallas.sbcglobal.net>...
> In article <2i2flqFhmtkiU1@uni-berlin.de>, Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com
> says...
> > "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote in message
> > > I was looking at one of the three atomic clocks I have at home, (two
> > > set by WWVB, one by internet timeserver) and noticed it was 30
> > > seconds behind the time on my VZW phone that is set up to use the
> > > digital signal. The atomic clocks are all in agreement of course.
> > > Why is VZW shifting the time by 30 seconds? The last time I checked
> > > it was within a second of the correct time. Do they reckon that the
> > > average time is more meaningful than the current minute? Does this
> > > aberration persist everywhere in the country? I am in San Diego.
> >
> > If you believe the conspiracy theorists, it's to be able to bill all the
> > people waiting for the 9pm free time to start. This way they get 30 seconds
> > of prime time out of every person trying to call for free at 9 PM.
> >
> > (hey, I said *if you believe the conspiracy theorists*, I don't myself, just
> > relaying a rumor :)

My vzm billing in Tn has a special code, for a call like this; and
bills the first part at peak, and the balance as off peak---I have had
numerous incidents of this occuring, but not in the last few months-
so it may have changed

--the billing you describe is what is rumored to occur with sprint(
and possibly others)--this is detailed somewhere in their
brochures--while I have sprint service also, I have no personel
experience with it.

In article <vfSuc.3087$Ha2.262@twister.socal.rr.com>,
Slobby Don <reply@thru.ng> wrote:
>Mark Olson wrote:
>> Slobby Don wrote:
>> I suspect the same situation applies with Verizon, yes,
>> they want the time to be more or
>> less correct, but they don't care about a mere 30 second offset.
>
>I would tend to agree with that if the offset were some random number, but
>in this case it is exactly 30 seconds. With a non-random offset, I suspect
>it is by design. But, why?

Hmmm... Every CDMA cell site in a given network has to have a GPS receiver
so that all of their system clocks are in exact lock step. All cell
sites in a given network use the same frequencies, and part of sorting
them out is time shifts between their signals at the millisecond level,
so the system simply cannot function without this synchronization. When
a CDMA phone registers with a system, the system tells the phone the
current time, so it can also sort out the various offsets. It may be
a long time between re-registrations if you don't make any calls, thus
when Daylight Savings Time kicks in, it may be hours before your phone
shows the new time.

That being said....

I just observed that my phone time is off by a few seconds relative to the
"correct" time (as per NTP-synchronized computers). Turning the phone
off, then on, changes the "error". It looks like the "time of day" info
sent from the network specifies the time only down to the minute, and the
user-visible clock in your phone ticks to the next minute independently.
This is separate from the highly precise internal time used by the
phone for the CDMA protocol. At least that it how it is behaving on a
Motorola T730.

AP wrote:

> In article <2i2flqFhmtkiU1@uni-berlin.de>, Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com
> says...
> > "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> wrote in message
> > > I was looking at one of the three atomic clocks I have at home, (two
> > > set by WWVB, one by internet timeserver) and noticed it was 30
> > > seconds behind the time on my VZW phone that is set up to use the
> > > digital signal. The atomic clocks are all in agreement of course.
> > > Why is VZW shifting the time by 30 seconds? The last time I checked
> > > it was within a second of the correct time. Do they reckon that the
> > > average time is more meaningful than the current minute? Does this
> > > aberration persist everywhere in the country? I am in San Diego.
> >
> > If you believe the conspiracy theorists, it's to be able to bill all the
> > people waiting for the 9pm free time to start. This way they get 30 seconds
> > of prime time out of every person trying to call for free at 9 PM.
> >
> > (hey, I said *if you believe the conspiracy theorists*, I don't myself, just
> > relaying a rumor :)
> >

> Hmm..... BTW... I thought that when you place call... lets say at 8.59PM
> your entire call is as peak hours..... even when you talk 5 hours.
> Does enyopne know if it is true?

Your minutes are taken out of the "pot" that the call starts in.

In your example, all your time will be from the peak pot.

Larry

In article <40BCD86B.54545080@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
>AP wrote:
>> Hmm..... BTW... I thought that when you place call... lets say at 8.59PM
>> your entire call is as peak hours..... even when you talk 5 hours.
>> Does enyopne know if it is true?
>
>Your minutes are taken out of the "pot" that the call starts in.
>
>In your example, all your time will be from the peak pot.

Except in places like the SF Bay Area, where this is billed as a "spanning"
call, and the minutes are billed in their respective category.

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <40BCD86B.54545080@spamcop.net>,
> Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
> >AP wrote:
> >> Hmm..... BTW... I thought that when you place call... lets say at
8.59PM
> >> your entire call is as peak hours..... even when you talk 5 hours.
> >> Does enyopne know if it is true?
> >
> >Your minutes are taken out of the "pot" that the call starts in.
> >
> >In your example, all your time will be from the peak pot.
>
> Except in places like the SF Bay Area, where this is billed as a
"spanning"
> call, and the minutes are billed in their respective category.

....and in the Houston area also. The calls are spanned and billed
accordingly.

Some time around Tue, 01 Jun 2004 01:42:03 GMT (give or take a month), someone who says they are
named "Slobby Don" <reply@thru.ng> fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled on about:

>I was looking at one of the three atomic clocks I have at home, (two set by
>WWVB, one by internet timeserver) and noticed it was 30 seconds behind the

If you get this message 30 seconds before I write it the problem isn't with the phone but with the
whole time -space continuum. Power on your phone and soak it in a glass of coca-cola (not pepsi as
that reverse time)

-W

Harold Sherrill wrote:

> "CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article <40BCD86B.54545080@spamcop.net>,
> > Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
> 8.59PM
> > >
> > >Your minutes are taken out of the "pot" that the call starts in.
> > >
> > >In your example, all your time will be from the peak pot.
> >
> > Except in places like the SF Bay Area, where this is billed as a
> "spanning"
> > call, and the minutes are billed in their respective category.
> >

> ...and in the Houston area also. The calls are spanned and billed
> accordingly.

Just when I thought I "knew it all." <g>

Thanks for the (re)education!

Larry

(looks at bill)

99% sure that NY/NJ markets span... so here it would be 1 min offpeak
59 minutes onpeak.

> It depends on the market. While many of them used to charge the call as all
> peak, more and more are changing to peak/non-peak.
> No real way of knowing what YOUR market specifically does.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

It's amazing that this topic seems to come up every other week.

If it's 8:59pm, why not just wait the minute until 9pm and make your
call worry free?

If you just can't live with that advice, then get what could possibly be
a real answer from VZ customer service, and get that person's name and
location or extension number, in case there's a future argument.

If it's 8:57pm, odds are that it is not an important business call,
especially if you are going to be talking for an hour at that time, so
talk until 9pm, hang up, and call back.

3 suggestions here. What's the big deal?

TRENDING THREADS