802.11 b or g??

I am setting up a home wireless connection. I noticed there is more than one
type of router. There is the cheaper 802.11b and the more expensive 802.11g.
Also, Dell sells a combo one, the 802.11b/g. Does it matter which one I
buy?? I will eventually be using three computers, one will be a laptop. I
called Radio Shack and even Verizon, but they did not know the difference
between b and g. Any information appreciated.
I figure I should buy the router that best fits a home setup rather than
guess. Thanks again. Great help on here.
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in

    > I am setting up a home wireless connection. I noticed there is more
    > than one type of router. There is the cheaper 802.11b and the more
    > expensive 802.11g. Also, Dell sells a combo one, the 802.11b/g. Does
    > it matter which one I buy?? I will eventually be using three
    > computers, one will be a laptop. I called Radio Shack and even
    > Verizon, but they did not know the difference between b and g. Any
    > information appreciated. I figure I should buy the router that best
    > fits a home setup rather than guess. Thanks again. Great help on here.

    It's not surprising that the support department at either of those places
    doesn't have a clue.

    "snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote:

    >I am setting up a home wireless connection. I noticed there is more than one
    >type of router. There is the cheaper 802.11b and the more expensive 802.11g.
    >Also, Dell sells a combo one, the 802.11b/g. Does it matter which one I
    >buy?? I will eventually be using three computers, one will be a laptop. I
    >called Radio Shack and even Verizon, but they did not know the difference
    >between b and g. Any information appreciated.
    >I figure I should buy the router that best fits a home setup rather than
    >guess. Thanks again. Great help on here.

    The theoretical answer is that 'g' is better than 'b' because it will do higher
    speeds. I've had some empirical evidence that suggests that it also does
    slightly better with range/obstructions.

    The practical answer is that it probably doesn't matter for most people. 'G'
    routers will handle 'b' and 'g' devices. Use of a mixed environment ('b' and 'g'
    devices) means that everything will slow down to 'b' speeds anyway.

    That said, keep in mind that unless you are doing massive file transfers WITHIN
    THE NETWORK, your bottleneck will remain the ISP connection, not the wireless
    speeds.

    ok, what are the "b" and "g" devices mention by Clark Griswald above (cool
    name there.... Griswald fron the Vacation movies). Does he mean stuff like
    dsl modems. I am now leaning to the 802.11 b, but maybe I should wait until
    Verizon ships the dsl modem to make sure it is 802.11 b complient versus a
    g complient one.
    I asked the Verizon guy if the dsl modem being sent is b or g...he said he
    didnt know and it would not make a difference anyways. Anyways, I may hold
    off before I go to Best Buy and get the router until I know if my devices
    are either b or g. One thing for sure don't expect much help on the phone
    from Verizon or Radio Shack.

    In article <10i7giondpub058@corp.supernews.com>,
    snow <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote:
    >I am setting up a home wireless connection. I noticed there is more than one
    >type of router. There is the cheaper 802.11b and the more expensive 802.11g.
    (snip)

    Basically, g things will work with b things, but g-only networks are
    much faster. They share the same frequency band.

    -- Mark (who uses 802.11a at home (-:)

    Mark Carroll <markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in

    > Basically, g things will work with b things, but g-only networks are
    > much faster. They share the same frequency band.

    The speed difference is not apparent with Internet access, even with fast
    cable connections. But if you are into large files being shared across the
    local network, it will make a difference. I only share Internet access,
    and my 8.11b Wireless download speeds are just as fast as my wired download
    speeds (at the Road Runner 3MB maximum).

    --
    Tom McCune

    "snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in

    > be a laptop. I called Radio Shack and even Verizon, but they did not
    > know the difference between b and g. Any information appreciated.

    Radio Shack. You've got questions, we've got answers.

    Hey, "I don't know" is an answer, right?

    > ok, what are the "b" and "g" devices mention by Clark Griswald above (cool
    > name there.... Griswald fron the Vacation movies). Does he mean stuff like
    > dsl modems. I am now leaning to the 802.11 b, but maybe I should wait
    until
    > Verizon ships the dsl modem to make sure it is 802.11 b complient versus
    > g complient one.
    > I asked the Verizon guy if the dsl modem being sent is b or g...he said
    he
    > didnt know and it would not make a difference anyways. Anyways, I may hold
    > off before I go to Best Buy and get the router until I know if my devices
    > are either b or g. One thing for sure don't expect much help on the phone
    > from Verizon or Radio Shack.
    > "snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in message
    > > I am setting up a home wireless connection. I noticed there is more than
    > one
    > > type of router. There is the cheaper 802.11b and the more expensive
    > 802.11g.
    > > Also, Dell sells a combo one, the 802.11b/g. Does it matter which one I
    > > buy?? I will eventually be using three computers, one will be a laptop.
    > > called Radio Shack and even Verizon, but they did not know the
    difference
    > > between b and g. Any information appreciated.
    > > I figure I should buy the router that best fits a home setup rather than
    > > guess. Thanks again. Great help on here.

    Neither ADSL nor cable modems know anything about 802.11. They are
    Ethernet-connected devices. Of course, you can buy an 802.11 router with a
    builtin ADSL or cable modem (Time Warner will lease you one), but the modem
    doesn't know or care about 802.11.

    By definition, 802.11g is back-compatible with 802..11b. That is, all
    802.11g routers are "combo". That means you can have any mix of b and g
    client stations associated to an 802.11g router. As someone else pointed
    out, mixing types degrades wireless performance.

    It's also been pointed out that your Internet performance bottleneck is your
    ISP - cable or ADSL. In the US, you usually get 1.5 Mbps or less for ADSL,
    and 3 Mbps for cable. That means that 11 Mbps 802.11b is already vast
    overkill if all you do is surf the net. If you move huge files between local
    wireless hosts, than "g" will get you much higher throughput than "b".

    Another consideration is upgradeability. 802.11g equipment uses newer
    chipsets, fully supports WPA security/authentication, and will probably be
    better supported by vendors. When feature upgrades occur, they will be
    available for 802.11g first, and maybe not at all for 802.11b. And, if I
    were you, I wonldn't buy a combo modem/router. If you switch from cable to
    ADSL, or vice/versa, the integrated modem becomes a boat anchor.

Wireless WiFi and Home Networking Wireless Networking