darthvaderkenneth

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
I have a few question about assassins creed
1. Can u hack the game files for dx10 settings on windows xp cuz i have a 9800gx2 but i don't have vista
2. Does it still look great on dx 9 maximum settings?
3. Is it really hard to play with a mouse and keyboard?
thanks

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
controls arent bad at all, takes about 10 mins to get used to.

not sure about hacking it but it does look very good in dx9

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hey Vader:

I LOVE THIS GAME!!! I highly recommend purchasing!

1- As I dual boot, I tried both XP and Vista. I found NO difference in graphics between DX9 and DX10. However, there is a slight difference in performance..and ironically, DX10 features makes the game run even better (CPU Processing). So, no tweaks required from your part to enjoy the game at its greatest potential.

2- The game looks amazing with DX9. Probably one of the best looking games in DX9 that I have seen at descent framerates (hence, excluding Crysis).

3- It is a console port, which I normally hate, but this one was well done. I still recommend a joystick if you have one but I played with a keyboard+gaming mouse and found it descent enough. Ubisoft Montreal really pulled it off on this one.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I concur with Alex (at least the part about the graphics). If it is just for the graphics i would not bother with upgrading to Vista or hacking it to get DX10 on XP.

darthvaderkenneth

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
i've got the game installed and it looks great but the game graphics and gameplay settings are strange. Where do enable antialiasing and the other stuff. I don't get why it takes a lot of CPU power, I am using a E8400 with a 9800gx2 and playing at 1680*1050 but CPU usage is at 99%. I might consider getting a xbox 360 controller during the summer for this

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I play AC with an xbox360 controller. It is a very good investment, because some games like madden or overlord I prefer to play with the 360 controller. This game is much better than playing with a mouse and KB. I too like the graphics in this game. Very nice detail.

Orpheous

Distinguished
May 20, 2008

1. Not sure, but from what I've read, AC will only detect DX9 in XP.
2. Yep!
3. No, I've been just using my wireless keyboard, while sitting back on the couch in front of our HTPC

http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/
I haven't tried it yet as I don't have a machine with a disposable OS on it :p

While playing, hit esc, click options, look for the Multisampling option (kind of like antialiasing) AC maxes out both/all cores on most systems, it's just that big!

I found a good write up of AC tweaks here:
http://www.tweakguides.com/AC_1.html

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Oh, cool. So its far enough along that it actually plays DX10 games now? I thought the alpha release allowed for little more than development.

I'll have to check this out when I get home.