Windows Update Notice

I have made the change to SP-2, and I have my pc where I will be notified
when there is an update available .... I use this so I can check and see what
the update is for.
I have received a notice, but when I go to the update page, nothing happens
.... the page freezes up. I have tried over and over and the same thing
occurs.
At one time, I received a page long of possible reasons for what might be
tried.
Is there ANY way to actually get the update without all of this difficulty?
--
Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
Amber

Download the newest update for Windows Update, it fixes an error in IE post
XP SP2. Windows Update uses IE, so it might be the culprit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=17d997d2-5034-4bbb-b74d-ad8430a1f7c8&DisplayLang=en

Andre
"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have made the change to SP-2, and I have my pc where I will be notified
> when there is an update available .... I use this so I can check and see
> what
> the update is for.
> I have received a notice, but when I go to the update page, nothing
> happens
> ... the page freezes up. I have tried over and over and the same thing
> occurs.
> At one time, I received a page long of possible reasons for what might be
> tried.
> Is there ANY way to actually get the update without all of this
> difficulty?
> --
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> Amber

Hi Amber,
Sit down hold on tight just have resolved this problem weeks ago, theres 3
things that it can be so we will start with procedure No.1
if this does not handle the issue we will go forward...

1. click Start-->Select run. in the box, type services.msc Click OK
2. Find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Right-click on it and
select Properties
3. Click on Stop and then again click on Start. In the Startup Type list,
make sure that "Automatic" is selected. Click OK
4. Similarly find Automatic Updates Service. Right-click on it and select
Properties
5. Click on Stop and then again on Start. In the Startup Type list, make
sure that "Automatic" is selected. Click OK
6. Close the Services window
7. Go to Windows Update site and try again

Regards,
L391

"Amber" wrote:

> I have made the change to SP-2, and I have my pc where I will be notified
> when there is an update available .... I use this so I can check and see what
> the update is for.
> I have received a notice, but when I go to the update page, nothing happens
> ... the page freezes up. I have tried over and over and the same thing
> occurs.
> At one time, I received a page long of possible reasons for what might be
> tried.
> Is there ANY way to actually get the update without all of this difficulty?
> --
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> Amber

L391
Thanks for your reply and easy to follow instructions.
Followed your steps, and it FINALLY works.
Thanks very much.
Amber

"L391" wrote:

> Hi Amber,
> Sit down hold on tight just have resolved this problem weeks ago, theres 3
> things that it can be so we will start with procedure No.1
> if this does not handle the issue we will go forward...
>
> 1. click Start-->Select run. in the box, type services.msc Click OK
> 2. Find the Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Right-click on it and
> select Properties
> 3. Click on Stop and then again click on Start. In the Startup Type list,
> make sure that "Automatic" is selected. Click OK
> 4. Similarly find Automatic Updates Service. Right-click on it and select
> Properties
> 5. Click on Stop and then again on Start. In the Startup Type list, make
> sure that "Automatic" is selected. Click OK
> 6. Close the Services window
> 7. Go to Windows Update site and try again
>
> Regards,
> L391
>

> "Amber" wrote:
>
> > I have made the change to SP-2, and I have my pc where I will be notified
> > when there is an update available .... I use this so I can check and see what
> > the update is for.
> > I have received a notice, but when I go to the update page, nothing happens
> > ... the page freezes up. I have tried over and over and the same thing
> > occurs.
> > At one time, I received a page long of possible reasons for what might be
> > tried.
> > Is there ANY way to actually get the update without all of this difficulty?
> > --
> > Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> > Amber

Amber,
Glad to hear this worked for you!
You might want to keep them notes on hand, as if it does re-occur (which can
happen) you have them on hand to re-guide you through...
For some "on known" reason Iv'e had to performed this 2 times in a matter of
2-1/2 months...
It seems that it follows up after a "Windows Critical-Update" So now you
are aware of how to ward off the demon within...

Regards,
L391