Duke Nukem (un original)

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
The game was great and all but in all the years since then viewing many game forums etc. (I can't be the only one that noticed) no one ever makes mention that 80-90 percent of Duke Nukem's one liners are directly taken from movies Most prominently Army of Darkness "hail to the King baby" and some alien movie with Roddy Piper where he's the only one that can see the aliens "Its time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and im all out of bubble gum".
(Yes both of those movies came out prior to duke nukem)

I just always thought credit should be given where its due, and you can't tell me the game creators just happened to think up those lines on their own.

Just bugs me everyone raves over Dukes one liners and they arent even original material.

rennervision

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
If they were tributes, Duke would have used more well-known lines like "Go ahead, make my day." rather than cult films. The fact that he borrows lines from movies not quite mainstream makes me think they are blatant ripoffs.

How can "Groovy" be a tribute? That line is forever associated with Ash from ED2 & AOD. It makes about as much sense for Duke to say that as if he said "May the Force be with you." So Duke Nukem has two tributes to Ash? (Both "Groovy" and "Hail to the king baby."?) Riiiiiight.

Of course, the game can be seen as one big parody of action movies, so I could be wrong. I still like it though - even if it is a little unoriginal. Just the humor alone of blowing someone up as they're sitting on the toilet makes the game worthy of playing.

And I've always liked the line, "Let God sort 'em out." Not sure if Duke stole that one from someone, but I always preferred quoting that one.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I don't see why it is less believable that there are two tribute quotes rather than one.

Seriously, Evil Dead 2 is about as mainstream as a cult movie gets. I'd be hard pressed to name one person I know who isn't familiar with that movie.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
this thread belongs in 1995.. who doesn't know where most of the lines came from/referenced to?

There are so many, even some maps are taken from other things..

The lines were hella funny at the time (I ain't afraid of no Quake. Hmm, that's one DooMed space marine. etc) 3d realms/apogee were sued for that last one, but the suit failed.

There's even jokes about O.J. Simpson in the game..

tsd16, have you even played the game?

army-of-darkness.jpg

dukenukem3d.jpg