okay, here is my problem, i try downloading a program from the net, from like
shockwave.com or some other type of program. maybe it is a winzip
self-extractor or a gaming executable, i've tried several. the one that i'm
trying to figure out right now is the winzip downloads. I dl one and it will
get to initialising setup and just stop. i've dl it several times and same
thing everytime. i do a run as and it says there is something bad in the
self-extractor header which i know there isn't. one of my friends downloads
it and it runs fine on his computer. is there something i can do to make it
so that i can install this stuff?

--
the dark drake rises from the light ashes that fell millenia ago

Run a scan with one of these programs:
Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

Also, Empty your temporary internet files and temp folder plus the prefetch
folder.

Temporary Interent Files location:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files

Temp folder location:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files

Prefetch folder:
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

and try again.

Andre
"Dark_Drake" <DarkDrake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> okay, here is my problem, i try downloading a program from the net, from
> like
> shockwave.com or some other type of program. maybe it is a winzip
> self-extractor or a gaming executable, i've tried several. the one that
> i'm
> trying to figure out right now is the winzip downloads. I dl one and it
> will
> get to initialising setup and just stop. i've dl it several times and same
> thing everytime. i do a run as and it says there is something bad in the
> self-extractor header which i know there isn't. one of my friends
> downloads
> it and it runs fine on his computer. is there something i can do to make
> it
> so that i can install this stuff?
>
> --
> the dark drake rises from the light ashes that fell millenia ago

I have this problem.I cannot install programmes. I get error messages if I
click on setup. The only solution i have found is to download to desktop and
then go into safe mose and install there. I cannot find a prefetch file in
Windows on my PC. I did do a search for it.

Any suggestions???

"Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Run a scan with one of these programs:
> Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
> Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
> CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
> Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
>

> Also, Empty your temporary internet files and temp folder plus the
prefetch
> folder.
>
> Temporary Interent Files location:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files
>
> Temp folder location:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Your username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files
>
> Prefetch folder:
> C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
>
> and try again.
>
> Andre
> "Dark_Drake" <DarkDrake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > okay, here is my problem, i try downloading a program from the net, from
> > like
> > shockwave.com or some other type of program. maybe it is a winzip
> > self-extractor or a gaming executable, i've tried several. the one that
> > i'm
> > trying to figure out right now is the winzip downloads. I dl one and it
> > will
> > get to initialising setup and just stop. i've dl it several times and
same
> > thing everytime. i do a run as and it says there is something bad in the
> > self-extractor header which i know there isn't. one of my friends
> > downloads
> > it and it runs fine on his computer. is there something i can do to make
> > it
> > so that i can install this stuff?
> >
> > --
> > the dark drake rises from the light ashes that fell millenia ago

I was looking over this thread and then in a limited user account (XP
Home) when to Explore. I don't see "local settings" in the tree under
my user name. Do I have to show system files for this to be visible or
is it only viewed in the Admin account?

Also, what is in the prefetch account? I got access denied in the user
account. Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

--
Libra