How to get "STAND BY" to work.

Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds it wakes
itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything before putting it
in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help. All programs have been disabled,
one at a time, and none have been found to cause the problem.

This PC, a new HP, came with W-XP Home Addition (no SP2 installed.)
Someone suggested I go into the BIOS and make a change there but no one here
is qualified to do that, nor would we know what to change.

Anyone....?

TIA :-)

FS.......
13 answers Last reply
More about stand work

    Open Control Panel > Power Options > Hinbernate Tab, make sure its enabled.

    Andre
    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds it
    > wakes
    > itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything before putting
    > it
    > in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help. All programs have been
    > disabled,
    > one at a time, and none have been found to cause the problem.
    >
    > This PC, a new HP, came with W-XP Home Addition (no SP2 installed.)
    > Someone suggested I go into the BIOS and make a change there but no one
    > here
    > is qualified to do that, nor would we know what to change.
    >
    > Anyone....?
    >
    > TIA :-)
    >
    > FS.......

    FreeSpirt,
    Let me first of all as you why you want to go into Standby mode.
    Its always a good idea to let your system "Stay Up".
    For protecting from others to use "your" computer do as followed:
    1. Click the following; Start/Control Panel/Appearance and
    Themes/Display/Screen Saver
    2. Were it says wait 00 minutes, enter a time short enough to enable the
    screen saver when you walk away.
    3. Click the box were it says "On Resume,Pass Word Protect and apply then
    Okay and exit.

    Good Luck,
    L391

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" wrote:

    > Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds it wakes
    > itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything before putting it
    > in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help. All programs have been disabled,
    > one at a time, and none have been found to cause the problem.
    >
    > This PC, a new HP, came with W-XP Home Addition (no SP2 installed.)
    > Someone suggested I go into the BIOS and make a change there but no one here
    > is qualified to do that, nor would we know what to change.
    >
    > Anyone....?
    >
    > TIA :-)
    >
    > FS.......

    No, that's incorrect. Hibernate is a different function than standby.
    Whether or not it's enabled has no affect on standby.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Open Control Panel > Power Options > Hinbernate Tab, make sure its
    > enabled.
    >
    > Andre
    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    >> Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds it
    >> wakes
    >> itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything before putting
    >> it
    >> in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help. All programs have been
    >> disabled,
    >> one at a time, and none have been found to cause the problem.
    >>
    >> This PC, a new HP, came with W-XP Home Addition (no SP2 installed.)
    >> Someone suggested I go into the BIOS and make a change there but no one
    >> here
    >> is qualified to do that, nor would we know what to change.
    >>
    >> Anyone....?
    >>
    >> TIA :-)
    >>
    >> FS.......

    Hi,

    The suggestions about the BIOS may be correct, as there may be a setting
    there preventing standby from working. If Power Management is running in the
    BIOS, it will often interfere with Windows-based Power Management. You
    should use one or the other, but not both. Some of the "wake on" features
    can also cause these problems as well, as activity on the lan or phone line
    will take the system out of standby.

    Accessing the BIOS is done at boot. To enter the system BIOS, click
    start/shutdown/restart windows if you are currently running, or simply start
    the system.

    After windows shuts down, the machine begins to reload. At this point you
    should either have a manufacturer logo screen or a POST screen that shows
    the hard drives and other devices being detected. You need to enter BIOS at
    this point before windows begins to load.

    If it is the latter, there should be a line that says "Press <some key> to
    enter setup", you will need to depress the indicated key.

    If you get a manufacturer logo, you can try referring to the manual you
    recieved with the pc to discover which key you need to depress while the
    logo is being displayed or you can try hitting the escape key. Generally,
    the keys used to enter the BIOS are F1, F2, F10, <delete>, <escape>, and the
    space bar, though there are some others.

    Once you have made your changes, you want to "exit saving changes", usually
    F10, to restart the system.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Why doesn't my PC stay in "standby" mode? Within about 15 seconds it
    > wakes
    > itself up - at least 90% of the time. I close everything before putting
    > it
    > in Standby, but that doesn't seem to help. All programs have been
    > disabled,
    > one at a time, and none have been found to cause the problem.
    >
    > This PC, a new HP, came with W-XP Home Addition (no SP2 installed.)
    > Someone suggested I go into the BIOS and make a change there but no one
    > here
    > is qualified to do that, nor would we know what to change.
    >
    > Anyone....?
    >
    > TIA :-)
    >
    > FS.......

    "Andre Da Costa" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Open Control Panel > Power Options > Hinbernate Tab, make sure its
    enabled.
    ============================
    It is enabled. What other changes can I make? If I set it to "Stand By"
    in 10 or 15 or 20 minutes it goes to sleep and WAKES UP in about 15 seconds.
    It goes back to sleep and wakes up over and over and over. How do I set it
    to stay in STANDBY mode and not keep waking up?

    FS.....

    > Hi,
    >
    > The suggestions about the BIOS may be correct, as there may be a setting
    > there preventing standby from working. If Power Management is running in
    the
    > BIOS, it will often interfere with Windows-based Power Management. You
    > should use one or the other, but not both.

    $$ But I know nothing about the BIOS and what is and isn't running in it.
    :-( I have no idea how to access it, where to look for a problem or how to
    safely change anything there.

    Some of the "wake on" features
    > can also cause these problems as well, as activity on the lan or phone
    line
    > will take the system out of standby.

    $$ What can be done about such things? Aren't all PCs subject to these
    things?

    > Accessing the BIOS is done at boot. To enter the system BIOS, click
    > start/shutdown/restart windows if you are currently running, or simply
    start
    > the system.
    >
    > After windows shuts down, the machine begins to reloa d.Atthispointyou
    > should either have a manufacturer logo screen or a POST screen that shows
    > the hard drives and other devices being detected. You need to enter BIOS
    at
    > this point before windows begins to load.

    $$ I don't SEE any of that on this computer (A HP). It's probably behind a
    screen.

    > If it is the latter, there should be a line that says "Press <some key> to
    > enter setup", you will need to depress the indicated key.

    > If you get a manufacturer logo, you can try referring to the manual you
    > recieved with the pc to discover which key you need to depress while the
    > logo is being displayed or you can try hitting the escape key.

    $$ HP gives you no manual - nothing useful at all.

    Generally,
    > the keys used to enter the BIOS are F1, F2, F10, <delete>, <escape>, and
    the
    > space bar, though there are some others.
    > Once you have made your changes, you want to "exit saving changes",
    usually
    > F10, to restart the system.

    > Best of Luck,

    $$ Where do we get the information on what and how to change "something" in
    the BIOS (if we can locate the BIOS) to make "Standby" work? Is it safe to
    start making changes there if you know nothing about the BIOS?

    FS............

    "L391" <L391@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > FreeSpirt,
    > Let me first of all as you why you want to go into Standby mode.

    ## Because I'm on and off the PC all day long and standby was so very handy.
    It worked the first few weeks.

    > Its always a good idea to let your system "Stay Up".
    > For protecting from others to use "your" computer do as followed:
    > 1. Click the following; Start/Control Panel/Appearance and
    > Themes/Display/Screen Saver
    > 2. Were it says wait 00 minutes, enter a time short enough to enable the
    > screen saver when you walk away.
    > 3. Click the box were it says "On Resume,Pass Word Protect and apply then
    > Okay and exit.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > L391

    ## Thanks. It's just very frustrating when something that is supposed to
    work doesn't. If I use the screensaver it comes on when I am reading
    something, or when I'm buring a CD and it destroys the CD with a buffer
    underrun.....

    FS.........

    I think that you are going to find out that the most sucessful and least
    amount of trouble way to go FreeSpirt is as I noted in my previous post.
    It's evident that something needs to keep up that is crucial to your system,
    I would think back to were you said it worked fine for a few weeks! what have
    you installed since then!
    If you really want to find out go into restore and go back to about that
    point of time were it was working, if it does work again then if you have
    installed software ect. that's your problem!

    L391

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" wrote:

    > "L391" <L391@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > FreeSpirt,
    > > Let me first of all as you why you want to go into Standby mode.
    >
    > ## Because I'm on and off the PC all day long and standby was so very handy.
    > It worked the first few weeks.
    >
    > > Its always a good idea to let your system "Stay Up".
    > > For protecting from others to use "your" computer do as followed:
    > > 1. Click the following; Start/Control Panel/Appearance and
    > > Themes/Display/Screen Saver
    > > 2. Were it says wait 00 minutes, enter a time short enough to enable the
    > > screen saver when you walk away.
    > > 3. Click the box were it says "On Resume,Pass Word Protect and apply then
    > > Okay and exit.
    > >
    > > Good Luck,
    > > L391
    >
    > ## Thanks. It's just very frustrating when something that is supposed to
    > work doesn't. If I use the screensaver it comes on when I am reading
    > something, or when I'm buring a CD and it destroys the CD with a buffer
    > underrun.....
    >
    > FS.........

    Hi,

    > $$ Where do we get the information on what and how to change "something"
    > in
    > the BIOS (if we can locate the BIOS) to make "Standby" work? Is it safe
    > start making changes there if you know nothing about the BIOS?

    Information on accessing the BIOS in most systems:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    It is safe if you use common sense and don't change that which you are
    unsure of. Also, when in the system BIOS, you will notice F key instructions
    at the bottom of the screen. One of these is to "exit without saving
    changes". If you screw up, use this option to reboot and try again.

    What you are looking for is Power Management - it should be disabled, and
    "Wake on..." features like "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Ring". If these latter
    are enabled, it may be causing your system to come out of standby when
    activity is detected.

    You may be more comfortable with this if you invite a pc-knowledgeable
    friend over to assist you. I know I do a lot of work for a beer and a slice
    of pizza.

    --

    > I think that you are going to find out that the most sucessful and least
    > amount of trouble way to go FreeSpirt is as I noted in my previous post.
    > It's evident that something needs to keep up that is crucial to your
    system,
    > I would think back to were you said it worked fine for a few weeks! what
    have
    > you installed since then!

    ### Wordweb, among a few other programs. But even with these disabled the
    PC still will not stay in Standby. Why/how would something like these
    programs make a change in the BIOS?

    > If you really want to find out go into restore and go back to about that
    > point of time were it was working, if it does work again then if you have
    > installed software ect. that's your problem!

    ### This problem started too long ago to try that. I should have asked
    about it sooner. I wish I knew someone with experience making changes in
    the BIOS - but I do not.

    > L391

    FS.......

    FreeSpirt,
    I do have knowledge in computer building and the Bios is not going to help
    you out, check into this andyou will understand a little more...
    http://www.jegsworks.com/Lessons/lesson8/lesson8-1.htm

    Regards,
    L391

    > Hi,
    >
    > > $$ Where do we get the information on what and how to change
    "something"
    > > in
    > > the BIOS (if we can locate the BIOS) to make "Standby" work? Is it
    safe
    > > start making changes there if you know nothing about the BIOS?
    >
    > Information on accessing the BIOS in most systems:
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    >
    > It is safe if you use common sense and don't change that which you are
    > unsure of. Also, when in the system BIOS, you will notice F key
    instructions
    > at the bottom of the screen. One of these is to "exit without saving
    > changes". If you screw up, use this option to reboot and try again.
    >
    > What you are looking for is Power Management - it should be disabled, and
    > "Wake on..." features like "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Ring". If these
    latter
    > are enabled, it may be causing your system to come out of standby when
    > activity is detected.
    >
    > You may be more comfortable with this if you invite a pc-knowledgeable
    > friend over to assist you. I know I do a lot of work for a beer and a
    slice
    > of pizza.
    ===================
    Thanks Rick but after reading about the BIOS I just don't feel qualified to
    make changes there. That looks like a job for a techie, not a general PC
    user such as myself. If I screw it up I'm looking at a large bill from the
    shop in town. As I mentioned before, I don't know anyone with techie
    expertise, that's why I ask for help here or look for answers online and in
    my XP book.

    FS...........

    Hi,

    The BIOS isn't that bad, just use common sense.

    --

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> > $$ Where do we get the information on what and how to change
    > "something"
    >> > in
    >> > the BIOS (if we can locate the BIOS) to make "Standby" work? Is it
    > safe
    >> > start making changes there if you know nothing about the BIOS?
    >>
    >> Information on accessing the BIOS in most systems:
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    >>
    >> It is safe if you use common sense and don't change that which you are
    >> unsure of. Also, when in the system BIOS, you will notice F key
    > instructions
    >> at the bottom of the screen. One of these is to "exit without saving
    >> changes". If you screw up, use this option to reboot and try again.
    >>
    >> What you are looking for is Power Management - it should be disabled, and
    >> "Wake on..." features like "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Ring". If these
    > latter
    >> are enabled, it may be causing your system to come out of standby when
    >> activity is detected.
    >>
    >> You may be more comfortable with this if you invite a pc-knowledgeable
    >> friend over to assist you. I know I do a lot of work for a beer and a
    > slice
    >> of pizza.
    > ===================
    > Thanks Rick but after reading about the BIOS I just don't feel qualified
    > make changes there. That looks like a job for a techie, not a general PC
    > user such as myself. If I screw it up I'm looking at a large bill from
    > the
    > shop in town. As I mentioned before, I don't know anyone with techie
    > expertise, that's why I ask for help here or look for answers online and
    > in
    > my XP book.

Windows XP