Zone Alarm FW blocking Generic Host Process

Hello all,
Zone Alarm FW is blocking Generic Host Process for Win32 Services on my XP
Home machine. What are these services? If they are benign, how do I get ZA
to allow these services to enter my machine?
Thanks a lot for your help.

--
Hoa
anonymous@discussions.mykrosof.com.invld.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
Benjamin Franklin
3 answers Last reply
More about zone alarm blocking generic host process

    Open ZA Control Centre by R/clicking systray icon. Go to Program control and
    scroll down to "Generic host Process... " If ZA is blocking it then you
    should see red "X"s. Click on the X and then click "Allow". Mine has the
    first 3 of the 4 ticked and all seems to be going well. It is part of the XP
    operating system.

    HTH

    Colin.

    "Hoa" wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > Zone Alarm FW is blocking Generic Host Process for Win32 Services on my XP
    > Home machine. What are these services? If they are benign, how do I get ZA
    > to allow these services to enter my machine?
    > Thanks a lot for your help.
    >
    > --
    > Hoa
    > anonymous@discussions.mykrosof.com.invld.
    >
    > "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
    > Benjamin Franklin

    It is a normal process, to enable it, right click on the ZA
    icon in the system tray and select Restore Zone Alarm
    Control Center. When the Window open, go to the Program
    Control link on the left side. Then click on the programs
    tab. You can enable or disable any program there.
    But just to note, it is blocking because you said it should
    be blocked and you must have put a check mark in the box to
    "remember" the setting. However you can undo that on the
    program control page.

    If you are clean, no viruses or Trojans, you can safely do
    this, because ZA monitors the status of the programs when
    they try to connect to the Internet and if the program is
    changed or even just updated, ZA will detect that change and
    ask again for permission. So, if you have made a change,
    then you can approve the changed connection, but if you
    didn't make the change, then deny the connection and if all
    works OK, then it wasn't essential. If you didn't just
    install the program or recognize the name, it could be a
    Trojan or virus, so a scan would be a good idea.

    "Hoa" <leth5591@REMOVE_456CAPSgmail.com.invalid> wrote in
    message news:OJhiehysEHA.2800@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | Hello all,
    | Zone Alarm FW is blocking Generic Host Process for Win32
    Services on my XP
    | Home machine. What are these services? If they are
    benign, how do I get ZA
    | to allow these services to enter my machine?
    | Thanks a lot for your help.
    |
    | --
    | Hoa
    | anonymous@discussions.mykrosof.com.invld.
    |
    | "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be
    happy"
    | Benjamin Franklin

    That is a legitimate Windows file. In Zone Alarm go to your Programs
    tab and locate Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. On the
    "access" area right click and select allow for internet and local. I
    do not give it server rights (they are blocked). Hope this helps.

    Sincerely, Libra

    --
    Libra

Win32 Microsoft Windows XP